Medical Marijuana Dispensary To Open Downtown

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Michigan - Marijuana will now be sold legally in Ypsilanti. That is, for medical purposes.

One year after the passing of The Michigan Medical Marijuana Act, the city of Ypsilanti will become the home to Washtenaw County's first medical marijuana dispensary.

Located at the corner of Pearl and North Hamilton streets in downtown Ypsilanti, the dispensary hopes to open to the community by Jan. 1 and serve as a primary location for sick people, especially elderly and war veterans, to come receive relief for many problems which marijuana has been approved to medicate.

"My vision for this dispensary is to find a cure for cancer and to help free thousands of people who are currently in jail cells unjustly for the responsible use of cannabis," said Anthony Freed, Executive Director of the Michigan Marijuana Chamber of Commerce. "Also, this facility will be a lot more than just a place for people to come get medication. It will be a place for the compassion club to congregate, it will be a research facility, a senior center where seniors can come spend time with friends and play games or watch TV, it will be a gathering place for law enforcement and educated facilitators of the cannabis plant to share their knowledge with the community about the positive impact of medical marijuana."

Freed explained that parts of the building, which were once home to a Girl Scout troop, will be used for treatment rooms (in which caregivers will supply their patients with the medicinal herb), vapor rooms (in which a vaporizer is used to extract active ingredients of the marijuana to deliver for inhalation), a coffee shop and a place for patients to purchase other medical equipment.

"I want people to realize that this plant has the ability to relieve the ailments of so many diseases," Freed said. "Cancer, multiple sclerosis, glaucoma, Crohn's Disease, arthritis, diabetes; all of these things are treatable with the THC found in marijuana."

Freed said that the opening of this dispensary in Ypsilanti was to help out the people of this city by providing a legal medicinal relief to their pain and suffering, but also to provide jobs and help out the senior citizens and the war veterans.

"There's a need for this here in Ypsilanti," he said. "We want to spread the word and push for the legalization of cannabis within the next 36 months. I think it's criminal that the state hasn't legalized cannabis already."

According to the Michigan Department of Community Health's Web site, the need for the use of medical marijuana is not slight.

Since April 2009, 12,049 Michigan residents have applied to become legal card-carrying patients or caregivers. Of those, more than half (6,718) have been accepted as patients, and 2,811 have been approved as caregivers. Caregivers are allowed to have up to five patients and grow up to 12 plants for their patient's use.

Stewart Beal, an Ypsilanti real estate investor who owns a building next door and a building behind the new dispensary, said that he's all for Ypsilanti entrepreneurship despite the potential controversy that may come with the type of business.

"I'm a proponent of any legal entrepreneurship in Ypsilanti," Beal said. "They will be my neighbors and they're doing something positive by opening a new business in Ypsilanti. I just signed a contract with another medical marijuana firm in Detroit to occupy some real estate I had available, so, with the new, progressive laws Michigan is enacting, I'm excited for new businesses."

Freed said that the dispensary will limit the number of patients it receives at first, but after awhile more will be accepted.

The facility will have a team of licensed physicians on hand to clear all potential patients for the use of medical marijuana, in compliance with dispensary laws, and Freed said all of the plants sold will be grown in a secret, off-site location.

"This place will be friendly and open to both patients and non-patients alike."

Freed is also one of the organizers of the much-debated Caregivers Cup, which will be held Jan. 30 and 31 at the Ypsilanti Marriott and Eagle Crest Resort. The competition will determine the best medical marijuana grower after a panel of 100 medical marijuana patients smoke up to 2.5 ounces of the supplier's product and score its quality, among other effects. There will also be lectures and workshops which will show patients and caregivers how to be responsible cannabis growers and users.

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: heritage.com
Author: Jeremy Allen
Copyright: 2009 heritage.com
Website: Medical marijuana dispensary to open downtown - Ypsilanti Courier - Heritage

* Thanks free2blaze for submitting this article.

I'm a certified caregiver looking for work myself.. :roorrip:

Back
Top Bottom