Medical Marijuana laws for Hawaii

Waterfall

HAWAII

Senate Bill 862 -- Signed into law by Gov. Ben Cayetano on 6/14/00
Effective: 12/28/00
Removes state-level criminal penalties on the use, possession and cultivation of marijuana by patients who possess a signed statement from their physician affirming that he or she suffers from a debilitating condition and that the "potential benefits of medical use of marijuana would likely outweigh the health risks." The law establishes a mandatory, confidential state-run patient registry that issues identification cards to qualifying patients.
Approved conditions: cachexia; cancer; chronic pain; Crohn's disease; epilepsy and other disorders characterized by seizures; glaucoma; HIV or AIDS; multiple sclerosis and other disorders characterized by muscle spasticity; and nausea. Other conditions are subject to approval by the Hawaii Department of Health.
Possession/Cultivation: Patients (or their primary caregivers) may legally possess no more than one ounce of usable marijuana, and may cultivate no more than seven marijuana plants, of which no more than three may be mature.

please write your member of congress, NEIL AMBERCROMBIE. i read that he is going to run for governer of hawaii as well. he has a nice website and he is pushing helathcare for all.
i just sent him a letter to help, email, followed by a letter, asking him to intervene in behalf of Gloria Molica, the medical marijuana patient, age 62, quite ill, being dragged through court to evict her from our federally funded senior's residence in kaunakakai moloka'i. for what? for killing her pain with marijuana by using a vaporizer in the confines of her little apartment. the next courtcase will be a few weeks. she cannot even afford to hire a lawyer. she needs her special bed because of her back. she will be homeless and cannot take her bed with her. the marijuana was prescribed to her by her doctor because the prescription pain meds made her so ill that she couldn't eat. she has permission from our state, but inspite of what Pres. Obama announced a few weeks ago that the feds will stop harrassing patients with state permits, the witch hunt goes on and individuals suffer. SOMEONE in our government needs to care! see The Molokai Dispatch for the article in our weekly paper about the ridiculous statement made that "mrs. Molica poses a danger to the safety of other residence" and "her state permit is meaningless". if they can make this argument stick, it not only ruins the integrity and repute of a nice older lady, but it will make it ever so more difficult for the other 4000 card-holding patients in hawaii.
thank you for caring and writing our representatives, guys!

Did you read the news lately? A few days ago down in Chinatown they were going to bust this 65 year old woman for trying to score some weed? It was the only place that she knew to buy it. She's a legal mmj user and they didn't arrest her. The next day the Mayor ( I believe it was him ) said we should be ashamed of this. That an older woman had to do something like that just to refill a legal prescription. Said he was working on a new way to protect legal mmj users and their sources. Hope it happens. :surf:

:smokin:October 27th 2009 at 6:30 PM in room 329 of the Hawaii State Capitol building on O'ahu, a meeting or "Talk Story" was held for the "Medical Cannabis Working Group" aka "The Task Force" the one that Governor Lingle vetoed over the 100% passed bill. Many patients and caregivers were there from O'ahu, and Brian Murphy from Maui was present. My wife and I were the only ones representing the Big Island. There was no one from Kauai. The Talk Story was brief and no doubt needs more attention to resolve the current disarray of the Hawaii Medical Cannabis Laws and the changes we face. A big Mahalo for the Medical Cannabis Working Group, in making sure this moves forward. This will come with a price, but at whose and what expense? That is the one of many questions that lingers amongst us. The fact that we were the only ones there from the Big Island, which has the highest #Medical Cannabis Patients and Caregivers, was disturbing. Policies that are being written and suggested will be for O'ahu / Maui. Brian Murphy of Maui is looking out for the patients and farmers rights, a job that has been thankless by many and deserves to be noted in his efforts to move the Medical Cannabis issues up front and dealt with. The Big Island could learn from some of his approaches and could benefit working together on furthering these issues of Medical Cannabis, as a team approach. The Big Island must have representation, or yes folks, face the inevitable bills and laws being worked on by others not hearing from us over here. Hawaii has a lot to offer in ways of growing Hemp and Cannabis for the entire Island Chain here on Hawaii for exports as well as being a major supplier to the Grocery Stores locally and nationwide for Hemp based food & clothing products that we are currently buying in most all Hawaiian grocery stores which we import from Canada. Sugar Cane is gone and so is Pineapple. Tax and regulating all Cannabis products immediately would generate over $500Million Annually in Agricultural Gross Sales revenues, creating thousands of new "green "jobs. No pun intended. The tax dollars would assist the States General Accounting Office in having more money to fund needed programs. I.e. Police, Fire, Safety, Education, Health. It is time we wake up and smell the flowers.

Well said Cherma
I really don't under stand why no one seems to care. Maybe they are satisfied with what they are doing now on the big island. Seems to me legal would be much better. Especially when there are so many tickets there already.
Another thing, each island must have they're own mmj rules. Guy on Molokai said he could have 7 plants. When I got my card in April this year for Oahu and it was very clear that I could grow 4 big plants and 2 little ones. Which really doesn't make sense. On the fight goes! :surf:

Back
Top Bottom