Medical Marijuana Legal In Pennsylvania By Spring Of 2010

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Patrick Nightingale, a Pittsburgh criminal defense attorney and Executive Director of Pittsburgh NORML and Charles Rocha are on their way back to the burg after an important day spent testifying in Harrisburg before the Pennsylvania Health and Human Services Committee.

Nightingale testified about the serious criminal sanctions facing marijuana users who naively believe that it is better to grow marijuana for their own consumption than to enter into drug transactions with drug dealers.

Prior to this afternoon’s hearing, Pennsylvanians were unsure how the bill would be received. “There are definitely going to be more hearings,” said Patrick.”

That would have been almost too much to hope for a couple months ago. PA HB 1393 was introduced by Senator Mark Cohen of Philadelphia in April and referred to the Pennsylvania Committee of Health and Human Services in April. The hearings were expected in September but due to the budget crisis were postponed for what seemed like forever.

"It was a great hearing," said Rep. Mark Cohen who sponsored the bill. We moved the bill forward dramatically. There was a lot of thoughtful testimony."

Tim Seip, Secretary of Health and Human Services said, "There was a lot of passion and emotion in the room. Many of the committee members have strong feelings. Seip, who supports the bill, hopes the next round of hearings will take place in January or February the vote this spring.

Governor Rendell has stated that he will sign a "well-crafted" bill.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Examiner.com
Copyright: 2009 Clarity Digital Group LLC d/b/a Examiner.com
Website: PA HB 1393 medical marijuana legal in Pennsylvania by spring of 2010

• Thanks CharlieMopps for the submission

The Republican Senate leadership said it will not even consider the bill if it passes the house.I was a republican and know these people,it is time the republicans get new leadership.

I hope PA does get some sort of medical marijuana thing going, I used to live there, and if I ever move back, I'd plan to grow and provide to dispensaries if that sort of thing can be done.

I know people here who claim to know Rendell and say "He never met a vice he didn't like", so we'll see what happens.

I'm a Republican, but I can consider a Democratic point of view if it benefits me financially. Just looking out for #1 ! :slide:

But I can see the Republicans there being real cock blockers about it. They wuss out to the Democrats all the time, but if it is something I can benefit from..... Murphy's Law is working against me!

This is great news. I myself live in PA. I wouldn't even try to get a MJ Card because I don't actually need it for actual medical reasons. I mean it does help me eat, sleep and enjoy my day, but I wouldn't want to take advantage of it simply to get high, I would rather see people that actually need it get it. A couple of my family members would greatly benefit from it as a medicine for their pain instead of taking opiates.

I hope this goes through

I really hope this goes through. I too wouldn't benefit from it, but its a step in the right direction, and will help to properly educate people and reduce the negative aura associated with cannabis

Hope this goes through too. If Ohio is surrounded with mediganja states then it'll have to give in sometime. :cheer:

Back
Top Bottom