Medical Pot Patient's Dealing Conviction is Tossed

PFlynn

Santa Ana, CA -- A person who carries a small amount of marijuana with a doctor's note allowing medical use can't be convicted of dealing the drug just because police thought he was a dealer, a state appeals court ruled Friday.
In overturning an Orange County man's conviction for possessing marijuana for sale, the Fourth District Court of Appeal in Santa Ana said the prosecutor needed more evidence of sales than the opinion of a sheriff's deputy who specialized in investigating narcotics dealers.

The defendant, Christopher Chakos, was arrested in December 2004 in Rancho Santa Margarita near the medical office where he worked as a phlebotomist, drawing blood for lab tests. Officers found seven grams of marijuana in his car, along with a doctor's note recommending pot for his pain and depression.

They found more marijuana, in varying amounts, in a search of his apartment, along with a digital scale and a closed-circuit camera system.

The marijuana totaled about six ounces, less than the eight ounces that medical marijuana patients can possess under state law. But Chakos was convicted of possession for sale based on expert testimony by Deputy Christopher Cormier, who conducted the search and said he had concluded Chakos was a dealer. Chakos was placed on probation for three years.

Source: San Francisco Chronicle (CA)
Copyright: 2007 Hearst Communications Inc.

It pisses me off that, in court, the cops word has more value of honesty than the man he testifies against. And judges endorse that. Who says cops are honest mmm...so why do judges keep presuming they are. grrrr!

Truer words never spoken,good call Moose

sounds like the cop went to a police convention in vegas and got sanctified by the uniform so he can sin no more......

cops in a one item"s, "since" are getting a little better though. not far off from being droids but still enjoy. i mean seriously. who manufactures cops. come on people i know we cant go no faster than the future. free the weed.

makin me hide all da dam time.. makes me feal like a kid.. grow up usa. smoke a few joints its only gonna ruin ya. hint?? mind set complete... termination. overide gods a programer in session. meaning . if we dont free the weed then the guys who are smokin are evil. no. just stuck with a brother who wants to snarl at him at every wakeing moment cause his become corrupt in teasing his brother of his true love.. will hate win or will we make weed legal and then..honestly im onlt in thispile of shit asoon to be in writing in tounges id cool.. i just learned that life is a wall. and whenwe die that wall falls revealing forever.which inturn is endless.. and i think fucking awesome. yea.. i said f!it and went to the true source. only like 35 more years to go. woo hoo. lol sounds funny but ....dee du dee yeah.. final conclusion... weed = better future

Back
Top Bottom