Meffa's Fall 2022 Organic Soil 5-Way Variety

meffa

Today is Sunday 09-Oct-2022 78-80F 65%RH

Happy Fall 2022!

I have my fall lineup going and it's time to start taking pics and writing things down. 5 seems to be the right number that allows for decent spacing when they get to the 4x8 flowering tent. This time out I decide on Grand Daddy Purple, Girl Scout Cookies, Gelato OG, LA Confidential, and Acapulco Gold. I grew GDP & Gelato last year and was very happy with those. I had to cut LAC loose midway through flower last year due to excessive PM and I'm determined to get this one though it was such an unusual looking plant. I just picked up GSC from WSE who I have nothing but great thing to say about their genetics. AG is one I've had for a while and didn't realize how short of a plant this Sativa is. I grew it in a pot outside last year and it got pretty tall but I'll be ready if she starts to get too tall. Right now she's the shortest of the bunch.

They're about 2-3 weeks old and I have them under a 200W BD. They were moved from red cups to 1gl containers earlier today and will go to 3gl hard sided pots next and then 7gl fabric for flower.
IMG_7278.JPG

Today is Wednesday 26-Oct-2022 || 80F 45%RH || 5.5 weeks old || 1 day since watering

I've been slacking with updating this journal and now that they're growing up I plan to keep better track. Today I up-potted the crew into 3gl containers. They weren't quite root bound but getting close. I'm planning to top them in a couple of days and might try something different this time around. @StoneOtter had a 4-way thing going that looked pretty good so I may look into doing that. I'm planning to get in two runs and I'm a bit behind on this one for the schedule I setup but not a big deal, basically I want to avoid going into the spring when outdoor temps make things harder to control.

I top-dressed with GeoFlora Veg a couple of weeks ago and again today during the up-pot

IMG_7290.JPG

IMG_7291.JPG

Tell me about your soil. I'm trying to be more organic so I'm looking for tips
Hi Renaissance Man,

Thanks for checking out my grow and asking about the soil. I've been using Coast of Maine growers blend the last couple of years and really like it. It's worth a try if you haven't already but it's a bit pricey. This time around I reused a bit from the last grow and added amendments. I'll get the list of what I added and will post them here. It's a bit unscientific but they haven't shown any complaints yet and I'm hopeful it stays that way! I know for sure I added Root Organic Elemental Calcium/Magnesium, Neem Seed Meal and dry Kelp. I've had this in a container for a few months and have been turning it over every so often. I threw in some egg shells too.

Hi Renaissance Man,

Thanks for checking out my grow and asking about the soil. I've been using Coast of Maine growers blend the last couple of years and really like it. It's worth a try if you haven't already but it's a bit pricey. This time around I reused a bit from the last grow and added amendments. I'll get the list of what I added and will post them here. It's a bit unscientific but they haven't shown any complaints yet and I'm hopeful it stays that way! I know for sure I added Root Organic Elemental Calcium/Magnesium, Neem Seed Meal and dry Kelp. I've had this in a container for a few months and have been turning it over every so often. I threw in some egg shells too.
Here's what I have in the mix. Rock phospate, granulated azomite, ground white oyster shells, langbeinite, neem seed meal, feather meal, alfalfa and kelp meal. When they hit their flowering pot it'll have guano and four spikes made up of a mix that I got from the Revs True Living Organics book. That's been my go to guide the last few times out and it's been great. Makes great reading if you've gotten off course and need to right the ship!

Today is Thursday 27-Oct-2022 || 81F 42%RH || 39 days old || 0 days since watering

I gave everyone a drink today after up-potting yesterday. The up-pot soil was moist but not wet and a solid watering today will level set their watering schedule. I'm guesstimating at this stage in the bigger pots it'll be 5-6 days before the next watering then it'll start to drop a bit once these 3gl pots fill with roots.

Previous grows I had been using R/O water from a vending machine nearby but it's a real hassle filling and lugging water. But really I think using R/O water where all of the minerals are stripped out affects the plants, so I ran a dedicated spigot to the tent and connected a 2-stage filter that'll remove the chloramine and/or chlorine but doesn't completely strip away all the minerals the way R/O does. What I really like besides the convenience is the hose nozzle sprayer I'm using that has a shower mode that evenly waters without creating divots and aerates the soil a bit. I do need to get better with judging how much water it takes before runoff though, which was easier with the pump sprayer that has 1/4gl markings. I'm still using the pump sprayer though to wet the surface so the water doesn't skate down the sides before it has a chance to soak into the soil.

Today is Saturday 29-Oct-2022 || 81F 42%RH || 41 days old || 2 days since watering

Everyone got a haircut today in preparation for the 4-way LST tie-down that's coming. I'm going to let them recover a bit and plan to tie the nodes back tomorrow. I think the single topping strategy will help get me back on schedule. With earlier runs I had topped two to three times and that really slows things down a bit.

IMG_7292.JPG

IMG_7293.JPG

Today is Monday 31-Oct-2022 || 81F 45%RH || 43 days old || 4 days since watering

I put everyone in a headlock today and removed the two lowest nodes while I was at it. I like to keep the lower section clean so nothing is sitting in dirt and it makes watering that much easier.

IMG_7294.JPG

IMG_7295.JPG

Today is Monday 04-Nov-2022 || 80F 55%RH || 47 days old || 1 days since watering

This crew is back to growing after being topped and having their nodes tied down. I watered yesterday and added some Plant Magic to the pump sprayer before hitting them with filtered water out of the hose. I've been top dressing with GeoFlora veg and top dressed with Coast of Maine this time around because I have lot that I bought at a good price a while back.

My first time trying a quad setup and I'm liking not having to top multiple times. I've been able to get the humidity up a bit and I think that's helping them at this stage.:snowboating:

IMG_7302.JPG

Looking good, Meffa!
:thumb:
Hi Daniel,

Thanks for checking out my grow. So far so good, can't wait till these ladies get back into full swing so I can send them off to hit the big stage!

They look good 😃
Looking nice and healthy!
How long are you going to veg?
Depends on their growth I suppose, but ideally within the next 2-3 weeks. I have one more up-pot into 7gl pots coming and I figure that'll happen in the next 10-14 days. If I can get them into flower by Thanksgiving or end of November at the latest that'll give me enough time to get a second run in and not finish too late in the spring.

:cheer:

Back
Top Bottom