Meffa's Winter 2021 Grow: GDP, Sirius Black, 8-Ball Kush, Gelato OG, Old School

meffa

Hey everyone, I have seedlings going for my next run and figured I'd better start a journal before I forget where I am with them! I have (2) GrandDaddy Purple, (2) Sirius Black, (2) 8-Ball Kush, (1) Gelato OG, and (1) Old School. I put them in soil on Nov 4th so they're 23 days old. My temps and humidity were off at the beginning and they were stalled a bit, but once I fixed that they started loving life and are now in 1gl pots doing their thing.

I veg in a 4x4 and flower in a 4x8, and haven't flowered a plant in the 4x4 yet, but I'm going to probably take 2 of this group all the way in the 4x4. The two to stay in the 4x4 will likely be Gelato OG and Old School because those are my singles and it makes sense to keep the pairs together. A bit will depend on how they grow as well and we'll just have to wait and see what's what when the time comes.

So without further ado, presenting the class of Winter 2021. I have high hopes for this group!

IMG_6720.JPG

Hey everyone, I have seedlings going for my next run and figured I'd better start a journal before I forget where I am with them! I have (2) GrandDaddy Purple, (2) Sirius Black, (2) 8-Ball Kush, (1) Gelato OG, and (1) Old School. I put them in soil on Nov 4th so they're 23 days old. My temps and humidity were off at the beginning and they were stalled a bit, but once I fixed that they started loving life and are now in 1gl pots doing their thing.

I veg in a 4x4 and flower in a 4x8, and haven't flowered a plant in the 4x4 yet, but I'm going to probably take 2 of this group all the way in the 4x4. The two to stay in the 4x4 will likely be Gelato OG and Old School because those are my singles and it makes sense to keep the pairs together. A bit will depend on how they grow as well and we'll just have to wait and see what's what when the time comes.

So without further ado, presenting the class of Winter 2021. I have high hopes for this group!

IMG_6720.JPG
Woohoo let the fun begin.
Nice happy looking ladies my friend.

:popcorn:

Stay safe
Bill

Monday 29-Nov || 25 Days In Dirt || 0 Days Since Watered

Everyone got a drink today with some Cal/Mag, Silica, Fulvic Acid, and Liquid Kelp. I love how you can almost see them growing right before your eyes when you're watering. I'd swear one of the 8-Ball Kush winked at me and shot up a bit. :morenutes:

IMG_6730.JPG

IMG_6731.JPG

Monday 06-Dec || 32 Days In Dirt || 1 Days Since Watered

I came home from a long weekend yesterday to find the crew looking like a small jungle and ready for a drink, so I watered with Cal/Mag, Silica, and Humic Acid. I also decided to give them their first haircut. Everyone's looking good this morning and I'll start bending down the nodes later today or tomorrow.

IMG_6751.JPG

IMG_6752.JPG

It looks like you are coming along nicely @meffa ; mind if I stick around?

I want to checkout your Ripper Seeds Old School grow. I have the seeds, just haven't dropped one yet.

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,

Tok.. :bong:
Happy to have you along, Tok. The more the merrier! The leaves on Old School looked alligator like when it was a seedling, very throw-back looking.

Monday 07-Nov || 33 Days In Dirt || 2 Days Since Watered

Tonight I tied down the nodes on everyone, which took a little more focus with the hard sided pots due to the way the binder clips attach to the rim. On the fabric pots it like hanging laundry where after you make a hook with the plant tie and put it around the nodes, you simply slide the plant tie down to bend the node and attach the plant tie to the rim with a binder clip. With the hard sided pots because of the lip around the rim the binder clips roll a bit and tug on the plant tie material when you fasten. Seems like a small thing, but when you're dealing with delicate plants that were just topped it's not hard to injure or destroy a node.

I find it interesting that when I germinate in pairs there's always one of each that's noticeably stronger than the other. Each of the Sirius and GDP's have a sister that's head and shoulders stronger than it's sibling. The 8-Ball Kush's that started out really slow are now the two of the strongest of the group. I love this strain and can't say enough about it.

I tried to take a few close-ups of the nodes tied down. At this point it doesn't take much to bend them, and the weight of the plant tie is almost enough to get them where they need to be.

Old School is a champ and took to topping like she was waiting for it the whole time.
IMG_6761.JPG

Opposite view of Old School showing just how far she's bent.
IMG_6762.JPG

IMG_6763.JPG

I feel like I got to this GDP a little late, or should have gone a node below. She's a little tall there and I'll have bring her down in the soil on the next up-pot, which will probably be in the next week or so.
IMG_6764.JPG

Sunday 12-Dec || 38 Days In Dirt || 3 Days Since Watered

The group is back to growing after their first top a week ago. I watered once since their haircut and will probably have to again in a day or two. I may end up cutting 2 of this group, but it may just be one and if that's the case it'll be the weaker of the Sirius Black's. I'm learning not to fall in love with the plants as much for the sake of doing what's best for the overall grow.

They're ready for an up-pot and that should be coming this week.

IMG_6784.JPG

IMG_6785.JPG

Tuesday 14-Dec || 40 Days In Dirt || 0 Days Since Watered

All plants were watered today with Cal/Mag, Silica, Fulvic Acid, and Humic Acid. I'm still on the fence about taking all of these girls to flower and will make a decision later this week when I up-pot. :yummy:

Saturday 18-Dec || 44 Days In Dirt || 0 Days Since Watered

It's upgrade Saturday for the winter group. I prepped (7) 3gl pots last night and popped them into their holes this morning. I let one of the Sirius Black go due to space constraints, so we have (2) Grand Daddy Purple, (2) 8-Balll Kush, (1) Sirius Black, (1) Old School, and (1) Gelato OG.

IMG_6790.JPG

Sunday 19-Dec || 45 Days In Dirt || 1 Days Since Watered

Everyone got their second haircut today. It's nice to be able to see the trunk and soil now that they've been stripped again. I didn't do the best job with ensuring the node orientation was lined up around the rim of the pot as opposed to in and over the rim with the currently grow that's in flower. The next set of nodes should be oriented around the rim, which means the 3rd set of nodes will also and is going to determine when when I top them next. It'll probably be about 2-3 weeks before the next topping, which will be their last.

IMG_6795.JPG

Monday 27-Dec || 53 Days In Dirt || 0 Days Since Watered

Well I messed up the node orientation on the 2nd topping and am just realizing it. Ideally the nodes would be oriented around the rim of the pot, but I topped so that one node is in the pot and the other is along the rim. The only way I can think of fixing this is to cutoff the node that's inside the pot, but that'll set me back a few weeks and I'm not sure it'll be good for the growth of the plant having it go that much longer in veg. I may be able to train the inside nodes towards the outside of the pot and will happily take suggestions here with what to do!

I added a much needed humidifier. It's tiny and I didn't want to go with ultrasonic but they seem to be the smallest, which is perfect for my veg tent. I'm using R/O water so that should take care of any mineral dust that I've heard about with the ultrasonic units. It was really dry in there and they seem much happier.

IMG_6819.JPG

IMG_6820.JPG

IMG_6821.JPG

Monday 27-Dec || 53 Days In Dirt || 0 Days Since Watered

Well I messed up the node orientation on the 2nd topping and am just realizing it. Ideally the nodes would be oriented around the rim of the pot, but I topped so that one node is in the pot and the other is along the rim. The only way I can think of fixing this is to cutoff the node that's inside the pot, but that'll set me back a few weeks and I'm not sure it'll be good for the growth of the plant having it go that much longer in veg. I may be able to train the inside nodes towards the outside of the pot and will happily take suggestions here with what to do!

I added a much needed humidifier. It's tiny and I didn't want to go with ultrasonic but they seem to be the smallest, which is perfect for my veg tent. I'm using R/O water so that should take care of any mineral dust that I've heard about with the ultrasonic units. It was really dry in there and they seem much happier.

IMG_6819.JPG

IMG_6820.JPG

IMG_6821.JPG
They look OK my friend @meffa , I'm not 100% sure of your questions sorry.

Stay safe
Bill

They look OK my friend @meffa , I'm not 100% sure of your questions sorry.

Stay safe
Bill
Hi Bill. Ideally the nodes would be oriented around the edge of the pot forming a circle. That would allow for better light penetration and air flow. I chose the wrong set of alternating nodes, so my colas are one in the middle and one along the rim. I may try topping the outer nodes along the rim so that those are oriented how I want, and leave the inner node alone. This would give me 6 colas. Or I could just leave as-is and go with 4 in a straight line.

I tried drawing out the different scenarios, and I think I might just try topping the outer node and go with 6 main colas.

IMG_6822.JPG

Hi Bill. Ideally the nodes would be oriented around the edge of the pot forming a circle. That would allow for better light penetration and air flow. I chose the wrong set of alternating nodes, so my colas are one in the middle and one along the rim. I may try topping the outer nodes along the rim so that those are oriented how I want, and leave the inner node alone. This would give me 6 colas. Or I could just leave as-is and go with 4 in a straight line.

I tried drawing out the different scenarios, and I think I might just try topping the outer node and go with 6 main colas.

IMG_6822.JPG
Oh makes sense now. :thumb:

Stay safe
Bi

Saturday 01-Jan || 58 Days In Dirt || 5 Days Since Watered

It's been about two weeks since this group was up-potted and topped, and I've decided their last haircut is going to be their last. The idea of topping one node and not the other on the same plant would have been looking for trouble in the form of an uneven canopy at the very least, so I'm going to let them go having been topped twice and we'll see how they turn out. My very first grow I topped twice and was happy with the yield, though the nodes were oriented in a square pattern not in a row. This isn't ideal but I'm not losing sleep over it and taking it as a reminder to always pay attention!

Once I got the humidity where it needed to be with the micro humidifier I added they started to grow again. It's Saturday and I last watered on Monday and haven't had to use the humidifier all week.

IMG_6845.JPG

IMG_6847.JPG

Wednesday 05-Jan || 62 Days In Dirt || 0 Days Since Watered

All of the ladies were watered today with Cal/Mag, Silica, and Fulvic Acid. They went a good 9 days between the last watering, likely due to my up-potting and topping within a day of each other, but they're growing now and will be moving to flower in the next week or so.

One of my GDP's has something going on that I think is a deficiency but I'm not sure. The leaf tips on new growth are coming in pale/yellowish. Anyone have an idea what's going on? I thought it was a Mag deficiency and foliar sprayed with epsom two days in a row.

IMG_6851.JPG

IMG_6853.JPG

Back
Top Bottom