MegeBudz First Grow

Some pics from tonight when we went out to check on them...

20140531_201525.jpg

20140531_201617.jpg

20140531_201700.jpg

Need to get some updated pics uploaded... about a week into the flush and the pistils on the one plant are all dark amber and collapsed in on the bud, the second one is mostly amber pistils and the third (and youngest) is just starting to turn amber. Am thinking that perhaps this weekend we may harvest the first and leave the other two for a few more days before we pull them.

Today's Work:

Before cutting:
20140608_162556.jpg

Sample Bud:
20140608_163155.jpg

The "take" from the first two plants:
20140608_182235.jpg

The drying box we built:
20140608_210429.jpg

Getting ready to close it up:
20140608_211043.jpg

Only have the one plant left in the VersaGrow system so I moved it to the middle of the lights and put some bloom ratio nutes into the reservoir to kick start it again. We have about a week and a half before our next trip so hopefully we will be able to get it to the point of harvesting before we leave and the buds in the box will be almost ready to come out. It is pretty warm where they are and there is a dehumidifier out there that runs to keep the office dry so we should be good there.

What you see in the bags is only about half of what we trimmed. The wife set aside another half of the smaller stuff to cook with. She makes these awesome dried apricots stuffed with a cream she makes from the cuttings.. great for travelling with!

-M

Great job MB,

Let us know what the yield was per plant. I am soooo jealous as I have at least 2 weeks to go.

Maui

Lesson learned... twist ties were NOT the way to go with hanging the buds. As the stems are drying out they are shrinking and then slipping through the twist ties. I have since gone out and pinched each of the ties in order to "seat" them into the stem. Next batch I am thinking we may try a needle and thread to create loops and then use the twist tie to hold the loop to the string.

Seem to be drying out nicely and should be ready to come out of the box when the third plant is ready to be harvested.

-M

When I harvest I use disposable vinyl gloves and when I harvest a plant I start by cutting the branches off 1 by 1. I take the branch and first strip off all the fan leaves. I then use a pair of Fiskars Micro Tip Pruning scissors and trim all the sugar leaves flush with the bud. I then take the trimmed branches and place them in my drying rack to dry for 5-7 days or until the buds just break off the stems. I then trim off the buds from the stems and place the buds into storage containers. I take the buds out of the storage containers and place into a large bowl for 10 minutes per day for 10 days.

My drying rack

dry_fast_cactus.jpg

Fiskars Softouch Micro-Tip Pruning Snip recommended by the arthritis society, They come with a lifetime replacement warranty. One of the handles broke on my last pair, I used the warranty claim on the website and Fiskars replaced them at no cost.

https://www2.fiskars.com Softouch Micro Tip Pruning Snip

drying racks

2' Dry Rack w/ Zipper Openings - perfectgardens

We pretty much followed that same method of harvesting right down to the same Fiskars.. only difference being the wife wanted to not trim the sugar leaves flush but leave a bit there.

Will definitely look into the drying rack... Thanks!

The other day we separated the buds from the stems and put them into some jars to cure. We have one plant left in the grow room and will allow that one to continue to swell while we are away on a trip. Once we come back it will be time to harvest and dry that one as well. Will post up some pics of what we have cut so far here soon.

-M

Last plant harvested, dried and in the process of curing... Overall about 2 ounces from the buds dried and cured to the ones that the wife used to make edibles. A little lower take than I was wanting.. but considering it was the first grow.. I'll take it!!

-M

how does it smoke?

and now I've got the theme from King of the hill in my head.

...propaaaane and propaaaane accessories...

Just took this one... it is from the last batch we just cut, dried, and starting to cure. Excuse my lack of picture taking skills.. specially Macro.. that is my wife's forte.

CameraZOOM-20140705145700652.jpg

As for how it smokes... she loves it. I've only smoked a little bit of it but from what I did have it is extremely smooth and not even remotely harsh. The one that we had no clue what it was but grew so much my wife has nicknamed Medusa since it gives you a very energetic and clear high.. only "problem" is that your scalp feels like there are fingers running over it (kind of like the snakes on Medusa's head lol).

-M

Just took this one... it is from the last batch we just cut, dried, and starting to cure. Excuse my lack of picture taking skills.. specially Macro.. that is my wife's forte.

CameraZOOM-20140705145700652.jpg

As for how it smokes... she loves it. I've only smoked a little bit of it but from what I did have it is extremely smooth and not even remotely harsh. The one that we had no clue what it was but grew so much my wife has nicknamed Medusa since it gives you a very energetic and clear high.. only "problem" is that your scalp feels like there are fingers running over it (kind of like the snakes on Medusa's head lol).

-M
Very nice sir!:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom