Hey all,
This winter I'll be attempting to grow Doug's Varin from @Weed Seeds Express.

She'll be in a 60x60cm grow tent, under a 100w LED panel (sounds weak, but I've grown a couple of plants under it now and it suits the space).
It'll be a soil grow, trying out a mix of pro mix organic moisture control, and compost and perlite due to supply chain issues.
First seed didn't do much, sprouted a taproot which decided to reach for the sky and then died, so this time I've gone back to the old paper towel method. 2 seeds in there right now. Fingers crossed.

Any info I've missed feel free to ask.

Comments are welcome, especially as this'll be my first indoor sativa!

Hi there and welcome to 420 magazine

100w is more than enough for a 60x60 I think. I had 3 decent sized moby dicks in the same environment.. I will be following along if that's OK? There's two other growers growing the same plants as you. Check it out HERE
Looking forward to see some photos, good luck going forward :thumb:

Thanks! All are welcome to follow along.
I was just commenting on that journal when I got the notification for this message lol.
I'll be posting photos as soon as I have something other than two seeds on a paper towel!

Hey all,
This winter I'll be attempting to grow Doug's Varin from @Weed Seeds Express.

She'll be in a 60x60cm grow tent, under a 100w LED panel (sounds weak, but I've grown a couple of plants under it now and it suits the space).
It'll be a soil grow, trying out a mix of pro mix organic moisture control, and compost and perlite due to supply chain issues.
First seed didn't do much, sprouted a taproot which decided to reach for the sky and then died, so this time I've gone back to the old paper towel method. 2 seeds in there right now. Fingers crossed.

Any info I've missed feel free to ask.

Comments are welcome, especially as this'll be my first indoor sativa!
Hey @Melville Hobbes hope your having a good day.
Welcome to 420magazine my friend.
You have to love @Weed Seeds Express fantastic genetics.
Hope you don't mind if I tag along.
Stay safe.
Bill

Lol, you guys really want to see them? Here you go!
Doug's Varin 24 Nov 2021.jpg

No movement on the DV seeds so far. I got a little paranoid last night wondering if I have the conditions right. It's been a few years since I used the paper towel method to pop seeds. I usually just put them straight into jiffy pods, as I did with the first DV seed that decided to be a rebel.
So this morning I decided to put a few more seeds in there to see if they'll pop.
On the right are 3 Hindu Kush crosses, and on the bottom are 3 Bruce Banner crosses. The HK are the same as a volunteer that came up in my buddy's garden after overwintering in the soil, and the BB are from one of my outdoor girls this past season (they've been drying for more than a month now).
Just want to eliminate grower error as a factor. If they pop and the DVs don't in the next week, I'll try the last three from that pack.
Doug's Varin 26 Nov 2021.jpg

So, if you take a peek at the DV seed on the right you'll notice a little white speck. That is apparently mold. I picked up the seed with some tweezers to take a closer look, and the seed squished, with a bunch of brown stuff and white goo coming out.
I rinsed the remaining seeds with h2o2, and moved them to a fresh paper towel. Looks like one of the BB crosses has split it's shell, and maybe one of the HK as well.
I added a fresh DV seed, meaning I have two left in the pack. I'm thinking I might just use my usual jiffy pod method on those two, see if I can get anything going in time to complete a winter grow of this strain this year.

Scratch that, there is now a taproot coming from one of the BB crosses, and one other is showing signs of splitting, and there is definite movement from two of the HK cross seeds.
Doug's Varin 27 Nov 2021.jpg

The seed at the bottom is the most that I let seeds go before planting.
I usually plant the moment I see the shell start to split.
Yep. It's going into soil this evening. It grew that in 3 hours.

Good news, and better news!
The six cross seeds have all popped taproots out, and have been transferred to soil.
Even better, both of the Doug's Varin seeds have the beginnings of taproots just peeking out of their shells!
Won't have to ask the mods to change the title of the journal after all, lol.
Doug's Varin 28 Nov 2021.jpg

Hmm. I thought you would be able to see them in the pic. I'll take another when I transfer them to soil, they should be visible then.

Here we go. They're in soil now. The older seed hasn't sprouted a taproot yet, but I planted her anyway. I'm not sure if she'll make it, but we'll see.
Doug's Varin 28 Nov 2021 a.jpg

And she has sprouted! I put her in a jiffy pod to keep her warm under a dome instead of putting her directly into soil, and it's a good thing too. She had the membrane stuck to her when she came up. She'll be going into a small pot when she's unfurled her leaves. No sign of the other one though. I have my doubts as to whether or not she'll come up.
Doug's Varin 30 Nov 2021.jpg

And she has sprouted! I put her in a jiffy pod to keep her warm under a dome instead of putting her directly into soil, and it's a good thing too. She had the membrane stuck to her when she came up. She'll be going into a small pot when she's unfurled her leaves. No sign of the other one though. I have my doubts as to whether or not she'll come up.
Doug's Varin 30 Nov 2021.jpg
What's the temp in there my friend?
I find if they are slow , warming them up gives them the extra boost the need to pop up.

Stay safe
Bill

Air temp in the room right now is 20 C, but under the dome it's nice and warm. The others will be in the tent this afternoon or evening after I harvest the Blackberry Auto that's finishing up in there.

They've left me in something of a pickle. I was only planning on having one plant in the tent, and now I'll have 7, lol. I also don't have any indoor grower friends around here, so I can't give them away. I'm thinking of experimenting with multiple plants in one pot. I figure it'll cut down the yield from all of them, but I wasn't planning on growing them at all so anything I get is a bonus. I was really high when I decided to put those seeds in to check the conditions. Lesson learned, lol.

The HK cross seeds are regs, so I will probably be culling at least one male, but the BB crosses are from this summer, and I don't know if my neighbour had a male, or a hermie. Judging by the number of seeds I pulled from my plants I would think male, but I don't know. He got rid of one of his plants right after flowering started, but the other one hung around for a month without him checking on it, then suddenly disappeared. So it could have been pumping out pollen for pretty much 4 weeks. I have a lot of seeds right now, probably thanks to him.

I'm hoping it was a stress hermie, as then they may be fem seeds. I'm not too mad, as I only use the outdoor plants for infused oil, and I use indoor plants for vaping, but it does mess up the weights for judging potency.

Ahh well. I'll at least get to check whether or not those seeds are worth keeping, and if I'll have to cull any males if I decide to use them.

Air temp in the room right now is 20 C, but under the dome it's nice and warm. The others will be in the tent this afternoon or evening after I harvest the Blackberry Auto that's finishing up in there.

They've left me in something of a pickle. I was only planning on having one plant in the tent, and now I'll have 7, lol. I also don't have any indoor grower friends around here, so I can't give them away. I'm thinking of experimenting with multiple plants in one pot. I figure it'll cut down the yield from all of them, but I wasn't planning on growing them at all so anything I get is a bonus. I was really high when I decided to put those seeds in to check the conditions. Lesson learned, lol.

The HK cross seeds are regs, so I will probably be culling at least one male, but the BB crosses are from this summer, and I don't know if my neighbour had a male, or a hermie. Judging by the number of seeds I pulled from my plants I would think male, but I don't know. He got rid of one of his plants right after flowering started, but the other one hung around for a month without him checking on it, then suddenly disappeared. So it could have been pumping out pollen for pretty much 4 weeks. I have a lot of seeds right now, probably thanks to him.

I'm hoping it was a stress hermie, as then they may be fem seeds. I'm not too mad, as I only use the outdoor plants for infused oil, and I use indoor plants for vaping, but it does mess up the weights for judging potency.

Ahh well. I'll at least get to check whether or not those seeds are worth keeping, and if I'll have to cull any males if I decide to use them.
Sea of green.
Small pots super short veg and right into 12/12. All of them.
Never grow 2 girls in one pot.
They suck from each other and produce F.A. :Namaste:
What size is the tent.

Back
Top Bottom