Methanol THC Extraction

I buy my pentane from Chemsavers.
Their prices for their highest-grade Acetone ranges from $39.95/500ml ACS grade (95.5+%) to $39/2.5L for 99% (plenty of other grades/sizes)
I'm pretty sure it's higher quality than hardware store stuff ;) (which can be distilled easily if one wants a higher grade of acetone).
But if it can be done with the hardware stuff and the end result does not taste like acetone, why not just use it as is?:thumb:
I wish I could get Pentane. I buy my acetone from the hardware store, test it for residue first. The acetone method was shown to me over 40 years ago by my father in law, hes over 90 years old now.

This may be a dumbass question but it’s not a smart ass question.
This is a time consuming and maybe expensive I don’t know but why do it at all? You have a concentrate but it’s the same cannabinoids

What’s the benefit of doing this?

This is a time consuming and maybe expensive I don’t know but why do it at all? You have a concentrate but it’s the same cannabinoids

Good way to use a surplus, better in edibles, very high THC, low chlorophyll, not really expensive with IPA. I reclaim my IPA through distillation and reuse it. I lose roughly 20% on every extraction.

Interesting. I use edible oil extractions to infuse olive oil or coconut. I take a few drops under my tongue several times a day.

In an alcohol world, the range is say light beer to high proof rum or that everclear.

More alcohol per unit volume of liquid. You guys process and produce more cannabinoids per unit volume.

Makes sense to reduce volume if there are high thc levels needed for medical reasons - 500 mg plus daily.

We were enjoying sticky black hash oil back in the early 70s. Our intention was clear - to get totally baked :goof::thumb:

I wish I could get Pentane. I buy my acetone from the hardware store, test it for residue first. The acetone method was shown to me over 40 years ago by my father in law, hes over 90 years old now.
If acetone works for you then I'd stay with it. Pentane can be bought from Chemsaver's website. Amazon and eBay is another source as are other online sellers.

I smoke the big pretty flowers and extract the smaller ones. The time factor really isn't bad. It's mainly just sitting around and watching a couple of movies while stuff is soaking or distilling.
Personally I do not like the high from wax but vapes are darn convenient when out of the house.
I'm not in a legal State so as long as my self-filled cartridges don't look like a THC one (those are darn tiny anyway) I can (and will) puff my vape right in front of the PoPo station where the local Friday night free concerts are held.
I'm such a rebel on Friday nights.:rolleyes:

I like a concentrated oil high, Ive tried alcohol and butane extraction and they are all different in that they seem to extract different stuff. The acetone seems to give me what i want out of the extraction.

now thats where it is at....everyone is going to want this once they hear about all the cancer and shit coming from the concentrates....Im pretty handy with the tools...did you make your own press...? how to make the plates ...? cheers

Two people died from a disease that is assumed to be associated with the cartridges. I think the bad stuff is the thinning agents. People are using terpenes as thinners these days and I think that is much better compared to PEG, PG and VG. Inhaling that much terpenes can also cause problems in my opinion. They don't have an exact idea about the safety of consuming vape liquids. I think the best way for getting your e-liquid is directly achieving a liquid distillate. Fill that one in a cartridge without any agents or stuff.

:passitleft:

Two people died from a disease that is assumed to be associated with the cartridges. I think the bad stuff is the thinning agents. People are using terpenes as thinners these days and I think that is much better compared to PEG, PG and VG. Inhaling that much terpenes can also cause problems in my opinion. They don't have an exact idea about the safety of consuming vape liquids. I think the best way for getting your e-liquid is directly achieving a liquid distillate. Fill that one in a cartridge without any agents or stuff.

:passitleft:
I've taken a hit off one of these counterfeit cartridges and it was like hitting an nicotine E-cig. Glycerin(?) based, maybe 20% wax (if you're lucky); I could barely taste the wax behind the cheap terps and there was one heck of a vapor cloud.
I can see someone getting "creative" with the ingredients to turn a quick dollar and those ingredients really screwing someone up if vaped for a couple of hours straight.

I'm still interested in THC solubility in methanol. It would be a better solvent for removal waxes via freezing, given it's more polar than EtOH or IpOH.

I'm still interested in THC solubility in methanol. It would be a better solvent for removal waxes via freezing, given it's more polar than EtOH or IpOH.

The best solvents for extraction is butane and propane because they help us only extract what is inside the trichome. Butane/propane extraction yields a product that is free from chlorophyl. They are non-polar hydrocarbons with light boiling point.

Ethanol on the other hand is an extremely polar solvent for cannabis extraction. Normally, you don't want to use this type of solvent because you want to avoid contamination. Ethanol solves a lot of chlorophyl and that affects the color, taste and the quality of the extract. If methanol is more polar, then it should dissolve a lot more chlorophyl and that'll lead you to a mediocre product. However, when you cool it down to -40 degrees Celsius or below, the polar properties don't play much role during the extraction. You get significantly less lipids, phosphates and chlorophyl.

It is better to get rid of all the unwanted aspects on the extraction phase. If you depend only on winterization, you have less control over the final product. You can cool down ethanol seriously with some dry ice. I never tested how low can it go but I am damn sure that it will give you a product that you want to dab all day. Ethanol has a higher boiling point and therefore it is harder to purge from the extract, compared to the ones made with hydrocarbons.

With these being said, you will need some patience to make a great dab using either ethanol or methanol. Methanol should be easier to purge but I am still not using it. I don't think there would be much difference between eth/meth extraction if you cool your ethanol down seriously. I tried this method with dry ice/ ethanol and the outcome was more than I could imagine.

You didn't read my post.

Methanol isn't what I'm using for the initial extraction. I will extract with a different solvent. Bu and Propane are marvelous solvents, but also great at dissolving highly non-polar compounds like waxes - which would be nice to remove.

If MeOH is good for THC solubility, then fractional dissolution of the waxes at low temperature is what I'm aiming for. I just don't want to unintentionally crystallize out the THC while removing the plant waxes. Other alcohols will work, but being the most polar, MeOH will work best, so long as THC doesn't drop out during the process.

I couldn't tell what you were considering to use for initial extraction as you didn't explicitly said that. Methanol can work better for wax removal. And rotavapor enables purging at lower temperatures. I don't have a machine but I'm rotating the flash manually and it helps with ethanol. I'm only making small batches for weekends.
I have found something interesting. Something drops out when a concentrated ethyl acetate solution is taken to about -25° C for a day or two, then filtered. I suspect it's not a lipid, perhaps proteinaceous. Dry and almost powdery.

For me, I mainly extract from the fine trim, so as not to let that go to waste.

I didn't, but easily remedied.

residue.jpg

It’s plant wax.

Yeah, that's what I figured too.

Definitely high molecular weight stuff, it doesn't feel very waxy, almost like dry powder.

Back
Top Bottom