Methods of Use - Canna Espresso

BTzGrow

After reading an article about using an espresso machine to extract THC, I tried it myself. Some comments I heard beforehand was that THC can't be extracted with water, it can only be extracted with oil or flammable products so to speak.

So I decided as I do most often "What the Hell!, I can at least experiment." So I did the following. Using my Expobar Espresso Machine with a tradition portafilter I packed it with ABV (Already Been Vaped) grind-age. I expressed it for approximately two ounces of liquid and poured into a small jar with a Ball type lid.

I set it on the counter to cool with the lid on and then checked for any oil separation after it cooled. No Oil. I put it into the frig overnight and checked it again this morning. Still no Oil!!! Okay at this point I'm not expecting much from it.

So I poured the chilled 2oz into a small cup, added one teaspoon of sugar because it didn't taste that great and drank the whole thing. Within 30 minutes I could feel a high really developing. By an hour post drinking, I was flying pretty high.

I'm not sure about the THC extraction level, but it could certainly be diluted, reduced in quantity of ABV or more liquid could be expressed through the 5grams of ABV I used. I feel it could be mixed in with my morning espresso latte easily and will try a smaller dose next time. But Wow!!!

I feel the amount I used was more than I would want to function on if I want to be busy. It would be perhaps perfect later at night. Smaller dosing in the busy times of the day is certainly in order. The mix of ABV was a fairly general collection of what I have been vaping over the last year. Right now I have about 35grams still. I did get a sativa cooling around the mouth and nose initially in the first 15minutes.

I'm going to continue to test the process and will also try it with some decarb'd flower also. Making a larger quantity could be an option and then adding small amounts to different types of tea and coffee. I like to make cold brew coffee and Thai tea so I'm feeling it would be perfect for that.

Subbed... this could be good, I want to see what happens here...

Subbed... this could be good, I want to see what happens here...
I know, this could be a major break through for edibles. I found a similar machine like they used on Amazon and ebay for under $100. I will post a few options that I know work similar to my machine in this thread over the next few days.

There are tons of low priced espresso machines out there that should produce similar results as my rather expensive machine. All of them produce approximately 15bars of pressure which is what my machine produces. All use a simple type of portafilter. I have no experience with the Keurig type K-Cups and not sure as to the pressure they produce. More research as I feel this could be a very cool way to extract for individual doses.

Just to know, I have used the follow type Krups Espresso machine for more than 20years until my most recent upgrade. Krups XP 4000 Espresso Machine - Black
full

It produces 15bar of pressure and makes a rather decent cup of espresso with Caffe Bustelo. Coffee | Café Bustelo. Caffe Bustelo is available in most every grocery store nation wide.

I've got a few machines, I'm interested how filter handle it, before I clog up mine :rofl: great idea and thread :thumb:

Thanks for telling me about this thread BT - this sounds like a fun thing to experiment with. Th AVB will be already decarb’ed (by the vaping) so that could be why it gave such a strong high. I remember years ago getting pretty wonderfully stoned off tea made from stalks and leaf which was simmered in water overnight, that wasn’t oily either. Clearly something gets into the water!

I Iike the idea of making some and then mixing it in as needed.

I've got a few machines, I'm interested how filter handle it, before I clog up mine :rofl: great idea and thread :thumb:
I'm of course very cautious about damaging my equipment. However I figure the grind on the ABV or even cured flower is much larger than normal espresso grind coffee so I'm not very concerned about the filter. Additionally though I don't like to spend money to fix issues the cost of the filter baskets are rather minimal and I actually have a smaller size filter that is normally used for pods. I'm considering using that one only for the cannabis as I don't use it for my normal espresso shots.

We have an espresso machine here at work that we got at an auction with a bunch of old coffee shop items... Got a couple of cool as Signs as well... Anyway it is an older school machine, and takes about 2 minutes to make a shot... When you drink it though it reminds a person of what Italy or Afghanistan is like in the coffee shops... We take about 2 grams of any cannabis and layer it in with the coffee.. Works great, though we do it only occasionally so can't testify to consistency.. It is however as Doobs said in that it is a wonderful way to start the day.. I doesn't creep on ya, but it settles in slowly... We are currently using some Hazelnut/Kenyan coffee from a local bean house... Really yummy, but acidic so add some creamer to it... Green days B... Nice thread addition...

My machine only does capsules, but I did actually recently buy some stuff to try infusing condensed milk to make medicated creamers. This tea seems a lot easier and a lot more lactose tolerant. I’ll be keeping a close eye on your progress.
:passitleft:

Ok ladies and gents.. It is 420 and while I am smoking, I am also drinking a beloved cannaspresso.... New word yah... Anyway we have time to play around here for now so we have tried to make the yummy stuff in three ways.... First with a fairly fresh cutting bud, say 3 days into cure... Acrid at best, with a really bad grass flavor... Benefit to those who drink grass water type stuff for their health.. Second we tried a fully 45 day cured bud, and I personally thought that it was the best... Still could taste the accents of the bud strain, but not grassy... Third was decarbed.. It really tasted the most like the espresso the way I drink it without cannabis, however I found the high was not as effective as quickly or as strongly as the cured bud... My Gfriend at work said she like the decarb method better... More genuine coffee flavor that way... IDK... Everyone should definately try it, if you like espresso that is... Green days to all

Did you grind the herb and fill basket, along with coffee? Use Double basket? How much bud Weight?

Awe, Grizz good to see ya... K, well did grind the cured bud in a hand grinder kinda rough... The espresso make we have has no filter or basket, it is a commercial quality maker.. It has the twist is attachment... I personally layer coffee, cannabis, then coffee in it... We tried with 1 gram, and now are up to 3 grams.. Seems to be the morning time ticket, though we drink coffee and cannaspresso all day... Gonna try 4 grams at 420 this afternoon.. Also a little side note, it seems a strong Sativa works with the euphoric, energetic ride... One last " Scientific finding " is that a really strong coffee is key to the experiment.. Good Luck

I'm really encouraged that so many of you are on board with this experiment. Many hands make easy work. MH, I find your experience with just loading dry cured flower into your "Portafilter". When you tried the Decarb'd how much in grams did you use?

I haven't tried Decarb'd yet, only the ABV which I consider to be in some sort of stage of decarb. I have actually take to only using my ground flower in my Arizer one cycle as I intend to use it in my CannaEspresso, hoping the will still be a higher amount of good stuff in it. Additionally, only hitting the Arizer for 4-6 hits insures a fresher taste of the actual bud. So kind of like a recycle idea. Once through the Vape and then a second time through the Espresso machine.

I haven't tried the freshly ground cured flower yet as I had thought that decarb was important for extraction to activate the ingredients better. As you have had experience with that idea and apparent success, I'll give it a try also. So far I have only tried drinking it straight, I also want to try adding a some that has been extracted in with my normal 3 shot expresso latte.

Did you grind the herb and fill basket, along with coffee? Use Double basket? How much bud Weight?

I initally used my two shot double basket and didn't fill it anywhere near full. I do have a single shot basket that is also made to accept the little tea bag style coffee pods that I have never used. I feel for the amounts that I'll be using it will be more than capable of doing the job and free up my 2 and 3 shot baskets for their coffee purpose. Yes, sometimes I actually make a 5 shot latte to clear the fog and start the day.

Along the line of this question, I will be doing my experiments and listing the type of product, the weight in grams and then finally the amount of liquid expressed through that will be consumed. Similar to what MH did as he has given three different products and also listed quantity used and then reported his results as related to taste and high. Awesome. :welldone:

Back
Top Bottom