MGD420's Second Grow Journal

MGD420

So I'm in the process of converting the loft area into a grow room for my next grow and thought it would be good to start the journal now so everyone can see the progress as I go along. Grow area is roughly 9ft × 15ft.

I reckon maybe another 2 or 3 weeks before everything is ready for the plants.

I will try update the journal every few days but this will solely depend on when things have been delivered as I am still waiting for stuff to finish the grow room.

Here is a couple of pics so far of the progress in the loft. I still need to seal the tent and finish around the door area, add sheeting at the rear, tack the rest of the sheeting to tidy it up more add supports and brackets for hanging the lights, fans and filters and cut out holes for the ducting to go through and add reflective waterproof sheeting to the floor.

20210607_213414.jpg
20210607_175724.jpg
20210607_214837.jpg
20210607_215013.jpg
20210607_215523.jpg

I ordered my seeds on the 4th and received them on the 7th along with a whole bunch of free goodies.
I did say in my previous journal that I would be growing photos next time around but have decided to grow auto's again.

20210607_142213.jpg

In total I have 33 seeds.
All of them are Phoenix seeds except the lemon haze by kannabia seeds.

5 × White Widow Express
× Strong Stuff
× Original Skunk Express
× Amnesia Express
× Super Kush
× AK27 Express
× Big Yield Auto
× Lemon Haze

In the pic above there is 10 original skunk express, 5 are being sent back and the AK27 Express will be sent as a replacement.

I plan to grow around 10 - 12 plants in 17 litre hempy buckets, medium will more than likely be perlite.

Growing Equipment

Lights
3 × Mars Hydro - SP3000 LED 300w

Extraction Fan/Filter
1 × 6" AC Infinity Cloudline T6 + 8" Rhino Pro Carbon Filter

Intake Fan
1 × 4" AC Infinity S4

Dehumidifier
Dimplex EverDri 10L - 300w

Humidifier
Challenge 3.2L - Ultrasonic

Oscilating Fans
2 × 6" Secret Jardin Monkey Fans
1 × 16" Digital Pedestal Fan

Nice start and build @MGD420

I have used various mediums, but never ran just perlite.

I think I will pull up a chair and watch the show.

Do you do intermission/ smoke/ bake breaks? :rofl:

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,

Tok..
Thanks for the reply Tokin

I've only ever grown in coco with perlite but trying to keep the weight in the loft area down and coco can get quite heavy when wet especially in bigger buckets like the 20L buckets I grew my plants in previously so thinking that perlite would be better for that purpose.
This time I'll be using 17 litre buckets instead of 20 litre and with perlite they should be super light.
One of the members on here @bluter helped me previously with my first grow. I'm sure he grows in pure perlite hempy's. Hopefully he will see this and can confirm this to be the case.

I do, it's a bit of a pain though having to climb up and down ladders everytime I want a break lol but needs must.

dude that space is going to be frigging gorgeous when you're finished :)

dude that space is going to be frigging gorgeous when your'e finished :)

Thanks bluter.

I'm hoping I will have it finished much sooner but I reckon it should be finished no later than 2 maybe 3 weeks time.

Can you confirm the growing medium used in your hempys are pure perlite or are they mixed with other mediums ?

yeah i run straight perlite.

original hempy mix is 3:1 perlite/vermiculite. i found the vermiculite holds too much moisture, and mostly washes to the bottom, where it encourages root rot.

edit : most on the board also run straight perlite, though you'll find all kinds of stuff. it can work with any neutral hydro media.

yeah i run straight perlite.

original hempy mix is 3:1 perlite/vermiculite. i found the vermiculite holds too much moisture, and mostly washes to the bottom, where it encourages root rot.

Thanks for the reply bluter it's appreciated

I'll need to read through your journal again for feeding schedules and anything else related to growing in pure perlite.

I'm curious, how would you set it up? With a drip system?

I was thinking of setting up an automated feeding system but I haven't decided if that will be the exact route I will go.

I have looked into tubing, pumps, valves and connectors to make a diy feeding system where it is set on a timer. The only issue is the run off from the plants being in hempy's and how I would be able to make sure each plant has a specific amount of run off aswell as how I would drain the run off automatically.

I have also considered just running a garden hose up into the loft when I need it, feeding each plant individually until I get run off. Transfer the run off from each plant and into a 20L bucket with a tap and hose and allowing it to self drain to another bucket downstairs before disposing.

I like your approach, should be interesting.

What strain will you be running?

Is the MGD for Miller Genuine Draft? :rofl:

Thanks.

I'm not sure what strains I will be running yet but I have a few to choose from. I will be running more than one or two strains.
If its possible i might even leave the strains up to the members to decide.
Not sure if its possible to do some sort of vote in a post where I can choose 2 or 3 maybe even 4 strains from the most voted for strains from the list that I have.

MGD is my enitials but yea Miller's Genuine Draft is also my favourite lager lol

So I have decided I'm going to try my hand at making an auto feeding system for my plants so have ordered the following.

Pump
Screenshot_20210610-163121_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Irrigation System

Screenshot_20210610-163140_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Air Pump
Screenshot_20210610-163240_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I still have other things I need to get like garden hose, barbed bulkhead fittings and whatever else will be needed to complete the automated feeding system.

So I have decided I'm going to try my hand at making an auto feeding system for my plants so have ordered the following.

Pump
Screenshot_20210610-163121_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Irrigation System

Screenshot_20210610-163140_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Air Pump
Screenshot_20210610-163240_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I still have other things I need to get like garden hose, barbed bulkhead fittings and whatever else will be needed to complete the automated feeding system.

I run mine fully automated as well. I used a smart power bar and did a bit of programming on it....now I can control it when I want to, override it remotely or just forget it and let it do its thing. Right now there's even a water sensor on the floor, it prevents the pump from operating when it gets triggered (I set it up that way).

if running hempy you won't need the nozzles. i'd just go direct injection.

you are gonna need a manifold with the same number of outlets as plants you plan to run. you could also get one with more outlets, but leave some plugged in pairs, if you don't need them all.

the manifold helps to ensure each plant receives the same amount. you also need to ensure your feed lines are all equal length for the same reason.

we had a system for 200 plants in soil that we built with washing machine pumps. made feeding a breeze. make your mix in the barrell. plug it in, feed, and unplug. come back a few days later.

I run mine fully automated as well. I used a smart power bar and did a bit of programming on it....now I can control it when I want to, override it remotely or just forget it and let it do its thing. Right now there's even a water sensor on the floor, it prevents the pump from operating when it gets triggered (I set it up that way).

Thanks for the reply Rexer.

When you mention Smart power bar, is it something similar to these ?

1624127573809.png

Can you post a link to the water sensor or explain how it works.

Thanks again

if running hempy you won't need the nozzles. i'd just go direct injection.

you are gonna need a manifold with the same number of outlets as plants you plan to run. you could also get one with more outlets, but leave some plugged in pairs, if you don't need them all.

the manifold helps to ensure each plant receives the same amount. you also need to ensure your feed lines are all equal length for the same reason.

we had a system for 200 plants in soil that we built with washing machine pumps. made feeding a breeze. make your mix in the barrell. plug it in, feed, and unplug. come back a few days later.

Everything else I have got so far should be fine though ?
I can look up manifolds. Would something like 6 way work ? Would I be able to make a manifold from the pieces that are in the irrigation kit that would work just the same using the T pieces ?.
I never even considered the length of feed line being the same length but now that you've mentioned it, it makes perfect sense.

Everything else I have got so far should be fine though ?
I can look up manifolds. Would something like 6 way work ? Would I be able to make a manifold from the pieces that are in the irrigation kit that would work just the same using the T pieces ?.
I never even considered the length of feed line being the same length but now that you've mentioned it, it makes perfect sense.

you can build manifolds, but it is so much easier to just buy one. google rainbird manifold just as an example. they've skyrocketed in price since pre -damnpanic, but are still relatively cheap. there are a few different brands.

you can build manifolds, but it is so much easier to just buy one. google rainbird manifold just as an example. they've skyrocketed in price since pre -damnpanic, but are still relatively cheap. there are a few different brands.

I'm online just now having a good look. I've managed to find an 8 port rainbird drip manifold, I can see what you mean by being pricey compared to some other brands. Cheapest I've seen them are around £28 UK

There's another brand "Orbit" that offer an 8 port adjustable flow manifold would this be any good and how would I go about attaching that to the pump. They do 4 port and 8 port from what I've gathered.

Drip Manifold
1624128025632.png

thanks again for all the help and advice

Back
Top Bottom