MH lighting help!

Giantsfan24

I ordered my hood and ballast as a kit and with it came an Eiko (sp?) MH bulb. I've looked up everything they make and I'm sure it's just the standard bulb, 4000K.

Being that all of the CFL users go with 6500K for veg, I was wondering whether or not there was a 6500K MH bulb. I've found many..

My question is this: Whether I spend $125 for a Hortilux Blue bulb or go with a $20 bulb from ebay or something in between the two, is there really that much difference between the bulbs? If so, will I or my plants notice? Isn't 6500K 6500k regardless of the manufacturer?

I don't see the CFL guys getting wrapped up in what brand of bulb they buy so does it really matter with HID bulbs?

Thanks for the help!

:thanks:

actually they have 7500k bulbs by ushio mh called opti blue. mostly blue and red spectrum. mostly blue. 420nm 460nm blue, i believe ace has a MH 7200k blue. probly cheaper than ushio.
anh yes they to have 6500k also if you go searching. have blue LEDS also 420 nm.
the ushio opti blue is a conversion bulb i have for one of my hps lamp. awesome for veg.
400w 37,000 lumes, hps 55,000 lumes 3 26w 6500k for side light. on reflective clamps.
4 wonder woman plants 7 weeks in veg. starting to pre flower. 1 more week of the opti blue. the 2 hps 800w.12/12. they've been on 18/6 for 7 weeks. hope this helped. you can get them at specialty lighting.com:peace:

Could always try a Ceramic Metal Halide Bulb, the Phillips retro white one. I used it for my entire grow.

Personally I wouldn't spend tons of money on a veg bulb.

Just an fyi, you must have a magnetic ballast to run the CMH..if you have a digi it wont work.

:peace:

I thought one of your last posts you mentioned you weren't sure about the ceramic?? That's one of the things that prompted me, along with the magnetic ballast which I don't have, to look for the 6500k mh...

What do you think about your cmh?

actually they have 7500k bulbs by ushio mh called opti blue. mostly blue and red spectrum. mostly blue. 420nm 460nm blue
anh yes they to have 6500k also if you go searching.
the ushio opti blue is a conversion bulb i have for one of my hps lamp. awesome for veg.
400w 37,000 lumes, hps 55,000 lumes 3 26w 6500k for side light. on reflective clamps.
4 wonder woman plants 7 weeks in veg. starting to pre flower. 1 more week of the opti blue. the 2 hps 800w.12/12 they've been on 18/6 for 7 weeks. hope this helped. you can get them at specialty lighting.com:peace:

Yeah I thought about the ushio as it's supposed to work perfectly with my lumatek digital....I found one so cheap that it seems to be a shame to spend too much on a bulb as long as it's got the right kelvin.

:thanks:

I thought one of your last posts you mentioned you weren't sure about the ceramic?? That's one of the things that prompted me, along with the magnetic ballast which I don't have, to look for the 6500k mh...

What do you think about your cmh?

For veg it works great, not 100% sure it produces better buds than a HPS.

Edit: I see you have a Lumatek digi so I guess it doesn't matter anyway.

I didn't feel comfortable with a non descrip bulb so I look around a little more and found a Plantmax 6500K, 24000 initial lumens for $29 free shipping on ebay...

It's got a blue heavy spectrum...way better than what I have. I called and talked to the guy who was very friendly and he says they sell a ton of them...whatever..

Looks like a good bulb, a bit more along the lines of what I've read. Wasn't comfortable with a 4000k for veg.

7200k mh?

The place I ordered my new 6500K bulb from ran out and are offering to give me the 7200K bulb at the same price.

I'm thinking this is fine but has anyone used 7200K for veg??

Back
Top Bottom