MH Vs HPS

bluemode

I am ready to start my grow. My room is complete. My question is I have a 400 wt HPS already but am thinking about getting a MH bulb that is interchangable with it to Veg the plant. Normally I use CFL. I just havent been getting the results I want with those. Can I use the MH right from the beggining? for a month then switch bulbs to the HPS. I dont know much about the MH Bulbs and the benifits or downfalls. Please help.

Bluemode...

Last time I grew I used a 1000W HPS. Now I am using a warm spectrum 1000W MH. My understanding is the HPS gives you a higher lumen rating and is more suitable for flowering, with the MH most suited to veg.
Experienced growers like Stonergrower probably notice the difference in yield between the two bulbs, but for novices like me I like the MH cos the plants look "prettier" under the MH spectrum which enhances the blues and greens. lol.

I would like to try MH but am afraid of all the wattage. My house is old and wouldn't all the wattage be a fire danger? I would be afraid to leave the house. Does anyone know about how much wattage would be safe?

Last time I grew I used a 1000W HPS. Now I am using a warm spectrum 1000W MH. My understanding is the HPS gives you a higher lumen rating and is more suitable for flowering, with the MH most suited to veg.
Experienced growers like Stonergrower probably notice the difference in yield between the two bulbs, but for novices like me I like the MH cos the plants look "prettier" under the MH spectrum which enhances the blues and greens. lol.
Actually the HPS puts out more lumens/watt. The spectrum is different from one to the other with the HPS more closely simulating fall/flowering/harvest seasonal light, and the MH more blue like summer/growing period light.

Is it really necessary to switch between MH for vegging and hps for flowering? Can you go all the way through with the more efficient hps? Will it really make any difference?

Will there be an appreciable difference vegging with MH over HPS? I've read other places that going all the way through with HPS is great as the lumen output is more efficient than MH..

Does the bulb really matter? Going with an Agro or Sunmaster vs. standard??

Thanks for your thoughts!

:thanks:

Is it really necessary to switch between MH for vegging and hps for flowering? Can you go all the way through with the more efficient hps? Will it really make any difference?

Will there be an appreciable difference vegging with MH over HPS? I've read other places that going all the way through with HPS is great as the lumen output is more efficient than MH..

Does the bulb really matter? Going with an Agro or Sunmaster vs. standard??

Thanks for your thoughts!

:thanks:
i myself just use hps 2- 1k watters i get good yields with just using hps just my 2 cents, rnwy29erclr

I used to use a 400w MH for veg and flower and it worked well. I then got a 600w HPS for flower only and it was somewhat better but not a huge difference.

I now use both the 400w MH and 600w HPS for flower and it is awesome. My flower area is a 4' x 4" area in my 12' x 8' storage room. I use a HO 6 light T5 for veg in the other room @ 2" over clones / seedlings.

That being said, I found the HPS alone was better in flower production than the MH. I think this had to do with the output difference (HPS v MH the HPS watt for watt is better except for veg light band) and the HPS is 200w more.

IF I had to use 1 bulb only for veg and flower tho, I would use the MH. The HPS does not do near as well in veg as the MH.(IMO)

My house was built in 1962 and runs all with NP. Just make sure your breakers are all good.
I did cheat tho, for about $75.00 in parts I wired in 2 20 amp circuits into my basement. I had to run the lights on different circuits before I did this, they used to trip breaker every other day when I tried to run on the same 15amp circuit.

After all that I still prefer to grow outdoors, only been growing indoors a couple of years so I have something to do in the winter. :yummy:

*** Make sure your house is not using aluminum wiring. It was used alot from 1965 - 1973 due in part to the Vietnam war.

WillyB

Back
Top Bottom