Michigan cultivation laws concerning number of plants allowed to grow

Lizard11

420 Member
Hello cannabis users around the globe.

I have a question concerning the number of plants I am allowed to grow in the state of Michigan.

The law states less than 12 plants for personal use is allowed. That is easy to understand my question concerns the next part.

12 to 24 plants for personal use is considered a civil infraction.
So does this mean I can lets say have 12 mature plants and 12 immature plants and that is fine?
Or does this mean that all of my plants would be confiscated if the law finds them?

I am not sure what the consequences per the law are for having 12 or more plants.
If anyone knows and can answer this I would appreciate it.

There is the condensed version of the entire proposal that was on the ballot. It has been a long time since I read through the entire 18 pages of "Prop 1 Of 2018" but I might be able to help. Gawd, but that took awhile and next time I am going to skip the parts that deal with commercial licensing and growing and stick with personal use sections.

I am not sure what the consequences per the law are for having 12 or more plants.
The allowed plants are up to and including 12. The problems come if the person has 13 or more. I look at is as if it is a plant if it has roots; a cutting in small pot of soil with no roots is not yet a plant. If you can tell us the name of the web page where you find the "12 or more plants" I will take a look to see what it might be saying. I know the Michigan NORML page which might be where you saw the "12 to 24 plants" says that and that does seem to be a typo on their part.

12 to 24 plants for personal use is considered a civil infraction.
I do not remember the exact breakdown for possessing 13 or more plants but using your example of 13 to 24 plants being a civil infraction means that having that many plants is not a crime. It will have no jail time and minimum fines, if any. It is basically considered the same as a parking ticket or playing the radio too loud. There is no jail time, etc.

So does this mean I can lets say have 12 mature plants and 12 immature plants and that is fine?
Legally no. You can have 12 plants. I do not remember any mention of immature plants not being considered a plant. If you have over your limit of 12 you can be found guilty of the civil infraction.

Or does this mean that all of my plants would be confiscated if the law finds them?
I am pretty sure that all the plants will be confiscated. Kind of like what happens if a poacher keeps over his or her limit of a particular fish. The CO takes all of the fish because they are proof that the poacher caught their limit and then caught and kept more.

You can grow hella lot of cannabis with 12 plants. I only grow 4 at a time (indoors) and can yield well over a pound dry cured bud consistently...

That is really quite a limitation you folks have up there and reading this makes me glad to be growing here in Missouri. This state allows a grower on one cultivators permit to have a total of 18 plants... and they do split them up as to stage of the grow. I can have 6 plants in seedling/clone/early veg stage, 6 more plants in advanced Veg, and 6 plants in bloom, for a total of 18 plants. If I get 2 permits (become the caretaker for someone) double the limits at each stage, for 36 total plants. I can get a third license too, although I don't have room to grow that many plants, for a total of 54 plants.

That is really quite a limitation you folks have up there and reading this makes me glad to be growing here in ....
The same can be said by those of us living in Michigan. Our limit of 12 plants per household (not per adult living in one house) must sound like a farm field to those who have legal limits of 4 plants.;)

This is different than for those who have jumped through the very few hurdles to get a medical license to be a caregiver and can then grow 6 plants per patient, if I remember right. Though the powers that be are trying to get rid of the medical license and just put everyone under the recreational limits.

Back
Top Bottom