Michigan Growers Unite!

Looking for some help from the Thumb...My 1st grow is looking sickly...I posted details in the attached link...not sure if the link will work. Thinking about the turn from great to hoping they survive and the yield was worth the effort. The good news is I take this as learning, keeping track of all my good and bad decisions. Here is what I see looking back...I underfed in Veg...N deficiency apparent when I flipped to 12/12. I was worried about the 4 plants blowing up the 3x3...flipped to 12/12 at least 2 weeks too early...what was the rush? I scrogged...why...my LST was perfect for the space...plants were trained for the space and really just grew up through the scrog...which became a pain for pruning and watering. Then I saw you prune everything under the scrog....why...I have low RH and great air flow/exchange...stress. Then...for some reason the last few waterings I over watered...ramped up water usage before defoliation...then kept it going after they were transpiring less...RH was no longer an accurate guide...I had significant runoff and didn't adjust my water schedule. I also swapped in a different bulb...3100k v 4200k...could I have induced more stress in a short period of time? Or, is it simply fall colors normal for GSC...which always has purple aspects? My plan is to let the pots get real light...then decide. Looking for any feedback.

Hoping all here in the thumb do not have power outages during this ice storm. Pretty mild here at this point on the 3rd coast...about 1/8 inch of ice...will turn to snow later. Looks like GR and Holland will get ice most of the day. Also for no reason while I was checking the plants today my light clicked off at that moment about 2.5 hours into the light cycle. Power was on and fans stayed running, so not the power strip. The timer also checked out fine. I then swapped back in the 4200k bulb and light started. I then put the 3100k bulb and the light worked. I have no idea why the light stopped...concerned if the light has been cycling at all during the day. I needed one more issue to deal with at this point. I hope everyones grows are not impacted this coming week.

We are the other side of the ice line cutting across Oakland, Macomb and St. Clair counties so if all goes as the models predict our ice coating should be minimal. I worry more about an ice covering on the trees and then it gets real windy.

The growing is a hobby. I will react as if any light issue is just a new problem to figure out. As long as the power is not off for more than 24-36 hours.

If the power goes out I am more concerned with the water filters on my 2 aquariums than the lights in the grow area.

We're North of 46 center of the state and it's not that bad here. 1/8th inch of ice maybe, some sleet. Winds are mild but if they pick up it'll take down a handful of limbs.

You may look into some uninterrupted power supplies for your tank pumps/filters. Easy peace of mind.

I thought about it but I know the fish can make it through 4-5 days without the filter going. I forgot to re-prime them one time after a power outage of a couple hours. Keeping the temperature in range might be tricky. So far the worst we have had to go through in this house was 20 hours. The old house, different city but the same number of miles outside of the Detroit city border, there the longest was about 12 hours one time in 25 years (except for the big blackout about 2002). Here we are now in another suburban city, newer house, newer streets and higher tax base and the power goes out the same number of times in one year as in the entire 25 years in the old place.

We moved 4 miles, but it changed our electric and internet providers. Our power is great now, only lost it once, we used to be down a dozen times a year. Trade off is the internet sucks now, 10 Meg down to 3 Meg :cough: and no natural gas, ends a quarter mile from our house.

I've though about using a USP and separate lower wattage driver to run some form of emergency lighting to prevent flowering in the veg room in the event of an outage but I can just plug into the generator if I need to, so I haven't worried about it yet.

Our outages are the result of winds knocking branches into the main lines or transformers blowing up.

The previous house was in an older area and there were a lot of trees of all sizes. It was as if the swaying lines would be stopped by branches before they moved enough to break or cross over to another line.

One time at the old place a pole on the neighbor's property line started going down but became trapped by a large branch. No one lost power and the electric company worked most of the night and several hours the next day replacing the pole without cutting the power. And did not cut down the tree, just some minor trimming so the workers did not get scratched.

MI area: Flint area
Grow set up:5×9 tent 2-1000w hps and a 600w led. 2x4 tent with led quantum style
Grow medium
: fox farms ocfor soil mix
Favorite strain: sweet-and/or skunky indicas
Favorite edible
: shakes
Favorite team/sport/university: MI Wolverines GO BLUE, Detroit TIGERS, lions
Hobbies: off reading sxs atvs, kayaking, ice fishing, shooting, hunting, up north time, family

@Budget LED is a sponsor here based out of Michigan. I've invited them to this thread several times already, maybe he'll make an appearance now.
Apologies. I try to operate in the guidelines of the Sponsorship. Not supposed to venture too far without a mention from a member. But now that you tagged me in, I will join in on the conversation.

We are Michigan based and veteran owned. How is everyone handling the snow?

Thinking of taking the plunge and buying LEDs. Any advice out there? 5x9 tent and a 2x4 tent? Been looking heavily into the quantum board styles or a diy. Have always ran 2'1000watt MH/HPS with a supplementary medium sized cheap blurple led here n there.

Are you running full cycle in both tents?

Helping each other out makes this site the best. Everyone is so friendly and polite for the most part.:high-five::hug:

Yes cant agree more. This site is much more friendly than others.

Are you running full cycle in both tents?
Full cycle in the big tent. The smaller one is more of a clone/seedling/mother keeper type veg tent. Although a separate veg tent could come in the future we've been considering a full LED light upgrade if it makes sense.
I'm also wondering what kind of heat the lights would generate in the tent? I know it's less then my big ol street lights mh/hps but they are enclosed and strait lined out on a strong inline fan. In the winter we reroute that heat to under the floor of the addition added on to the house. Tent also has seperate air evacuation through the filter and out so I've controlled heat but wondering what kinda of temp changes said light upgrade would bring?
And it makes me nervous because I've always done pretty well with my old tech 1000 watters but have seen some do well and some not do well with the light change out.
Sorry guys I know I'm long winded here but Its I figured people out here can give me solid advice.

Full cycle in the big tent. The smaller one is more of a clone/seedling/mother keeper type veg tent. Although a separate veg tent could come in the future we've been considering a full LED light upgrade if it makes sense.
I'm also wondering what kind of heat the lights would generate in the tent? I know it's less then my big ol street lights mh/hps but they are enclosed and strait lined out on a strong inline fan. In the winter we reroute that heat to under the floor of the addition added on to the house. Tent also has seperate air evacuation through the filter and out so I've controlled heat but wondering what kinda of temp changes said light upgrade would bring?
And it makes me nervous because I've always done pretty well with my old tech 1000 watters but have seen some do well and some not do well with the light change out.
Sorry guys I know I'm long winded here but Its I figured people out here can give me solid advice.

Well heat wise, you are correct. They put off less heat than your current lighting. For example, for my personal grow, I run a small heater in my grow cave to help maintain temps here in the winter. Normally, the kits measure about 120 degrees and cool passively.

For the Veg tent, this is our veg light for that space:

For for 5 x 9, are you growing wall to wall or is your grow footprint less like 4 x 8?

Yield wise, we have many growers switching over and are not looking back. @Silverfox125 is one that comes to mind. You can also check out our grow pics in the link below or our Instagram has a ton on it.

Budget LED's Illuminating Wonders

I appreciate the shout out. I truly do love the budget lights. It’s no secret. I feel it has definitely improved my yeild and quality of flower.

As far as the heat there is virtually none. With the Budget lights I get the drivers outside of the tent and have loved the transition to these lights in all of my tents.

any questions just shoot me a message

:green_heart:
silver

Almost forgot to mention! If you read the MMMP Report, You will find a nice discount that is for Michigan growers!

Chopped my first grow (GSC) last night...all four hanging in my grow cab after removing the light. Looking at seed options for my first grow. Thought I would share one when I saw the UM mug in the background.
6415AD8E-2E8D-4017-9DC0-53A77B8513B5.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom