Michigan Growers Unite!

I am late to the party as usual, but finally made it ... I have tried a few of the local rec places since I am close enough to walk to several of them, while ok, prices are just crazy.

Grower many many years ago and just jumping back in now.

Now what to do with these 15 year old seeds .... Any thoughts on how to get some of them to pop? No, they have not been stored in good conditions.

MI area: Tri City Area
Grow set up: Garage with 2 setups of 2x4 tents and TSL2000 and a 1000W MH
Grow medium: Soil with Bunny Honey mostly
Favorite strain: All of them, but tend to lean towards classics like White Widow, AK-48, Maui Wowie
Favorite edible: Meat – Have yet to try or make a THC edible ….
Hobbies: Hunting, Wine Making, Stamps, Tech, Gardening, Growing Weed, Aspiring to start a Microbusiness

I have had luck with seeds nearly that old. Get a clear cd case; line it with a paper towel on the bottom, moisten the paper towel with warm H2O; add some seeds; take another paper towel and cover the seeds; moisten the paper towel and close the cd case; place the cd case in an area that gets direct sunlight; let 'em sit for a few days in moist paper towel keeping the paper towels moist and warm. You may get lucky!

I have had luck with seeds nearly that old. Get a clear cd case; line it with a paper towel on the bottom, moisten the paper towel with warm H2O; add some seeds; take another paper towel and cover the seeds; moisten the paper towel and close the cd case; place the cd case in an area that gets direct sunlight; let 'em sit for a few days in moist paper towel keeping the paper towels moist and warm. You may get lucky!
I have had luck with actually cracking the seed ever so slightly prior to putting in paper towels.

Straight into dirt cups on a heat mat after a 24 hr soak in the fridge for me. Easiest way to avoid errors, remove the human element. I usually average 75-85% germination, occasionally they all pop.

I have done this a few times with none sprouting, but did not put them in the fridge first. I have also tried paper towel and nothing popped.

I think I may try shaking some up in a container with sand a bit and trying warm paper towel again. I may also try sanding the side of the seed that opens a bit as well.

Keep in mind these seeds are about 15 years old and have been in my unheated garage in a box the entire time. Very hot in the summer and very cold in the winter. But I will remain hopeful. The old Nirvana strains I still have a few seeds of each of are White Widow, Northern Light, K2, Blue Mystic, PPP, Ice, New Purple Power, Super Skunk. Then a bunch of feminized and random other seeds. Some were crosses of the above, but I don't recall which.

Seeds need a temperature differential to sprout. That's why I do a cold soak and the heat mat, greater temp difference.

You can make a scuff box from a small container and a little bit of sandpaper inside, same as your sand scuff. One other thing I've heard of for really old seeds is soaking them in a slightly acidic solution for a few hours. I don't remember the particulars on that but the basic idea is to soften the shell so it's a little easier for it to open.

Hopefully you can get some of them to pop.

Going to make a scuff box with sandpaper tonight or tomorrow and drop one of these in some soil and see what happens. Need to find a mild acid .....

20200325_225029.jpg

I have 4 photo girls (still hopeful two more will be girls) that I started from seed on 2-15 that will be going outside around memorial day.

Do you think I will need to harden them off the way I do vegetables? Or would they be good to just put out?

Pretty sure most autos would be fine outside anytime in the spring. Most are so quick they would be more than done before fall. What strains are you considering?

Cig

I gave the seed a bit of a squeeze today and cracked it along the edge it opens a bit. Will give it a few more days in the paper towel.

Nothing happened. Pretty sure the seeds are toast. My attention will be going elsewhere for the summer so I doubt I will try more anytime soon. Maybe another time. If any one local wants to give them a whirl, shoot me a PM.

Cig

Hello! I am a Michigan grower. I'm excited too get on here and be part of the cause! I'll start off

Mi area UP munising/ au train area
Grow setup 1 3 1/2 by 3 1/2 600w hps, as well as just starting a 3' by 3' tent with a Mars hydro tsw 2000.
Grow medium Coco loco, and going to try happy frog with the tsw.
Fav. Strain I haven't even got close to knowing yet, but I am a pretty big hybrid guy.
Fav. Edible probably scrambled eggs and sausage with my butter.
Fav. Team/ sport. Gotta be UF and def. Gonna be walleye fishing
Hobbies vehicle mechanics, fishing, hunting, woodworking, gardening, and cannabis
I'm hoping to learn as much as I can and have a blast doing it!!

Anybody getting ready for outdoor grows right now? I tried last year and failed badly. It was way too wet where I live and I got too late of a start. I was thinking of growing some autos outside this year if it looks like it's going to do the same.
I did one outdoor last season, I got scared and chopped her early due to moisture.... May give it a shot again this season and just let them go and see what happens. I have some free GG4 Bag seeds I will use along with some autos I may try too.

Back
Top Bottom