Michigan's Medical Marijuana Profit: $8 Million

Jacob Bell

Medical marijuana aimed at helping Michiganders with their pain turns out to be a helpful prescription for the state's challenged budget, as well.

In its first two years of operation, state licensing of marijuana patients and their caregivers has turned more than an $8-million profit -- generating nearly $9.7 million in revenue against $1.5 million in expenses, according to a new state report.

Marijuana fees topped $4.8 million between just Oct. 1, 2010, and March 31. And the growth continues at a rapid pace, said program manager Rae Ramsdell.

More than 100,000 Michiganders are registered to use and provide medical marijuana, Ramsdell said, far exceeding projections made after state voters overwhelmingly approved medical marijuana in 2008.

But Ramsdell said costs are growing, too. The office she supervises was initially staffed by three people and now has 17, she said.

Still, delays of four months or more in processing applications remain common.

Marijuana patient advocates contend that the licensing fees (currently set at $100 a year) were supposed to be set only high enough to run the program.

An Oakland County marijuana patient, who asked that his last name not be used for fear of being targeted by police, said the state's profit at the expense of legal marijuana users was predictable.

"They should have known this would happen," he said. "I know they're trying to keep up, but they need to get rid of the backlog."

News Hawk- Jacob Ebel 420 MAGAZINE
Source: freep.com
Author: Dawson Bell
Copyright: freep.com

i usually just read and enjoy. this time, i had to reply. i got my paperwork stamped at the state office in lansing on march 15th. Today is June 16th. i go to the state webpage and it shows that they are still working on early January registrations. meaning, im still about 2 months away from having my actual card. now, main reason i'm writting is to say this. I wonder when the state is going to realize that they are losing money every single day that they make us with papers signed and no card, wait. it is my understanding that once they make my card and send it to me, it is good for 1 year from that date. well, the way i see it, by the time i get my card, i will have had 6 months of FREE smoking. personally, to get these cards done, they may have to call in the national guard!!! tee hee, enjoy the day FELLOW STONERS & Peace!

i usually just read and enjoy. this time, i had to reply. i got my paperwork stamped at the state office in lansing on march 15th. Today is June 16th. i go to the state webpage and it shows that they are still working on early January registrations. meaning, im still about 2 months away from having my actual card. now, main reason i'm writting is to say this. I wonder when the state is going to realize that they are losing money every single day that they make us with papers signed and no card, wait. it is my understanding that once they make my card and send it to me, it is good for 1 year from that date. well, the way i see it, by the time i get my card, i will have had 6 months of FREE smoking. personally, to get these cards done, they may have to call in the national guard!!! tee hee, enjoy the day FELLOW STONERS & Peace!
Tee Hee the joke is on you!! MI dates your card 10 days from the date they receive your application. I filed my paperwork on Dec. 20, 2010 and received it the end of April 2011. My card is good from 1/1/2011-1/1/2012. I think early on they were dating them when they sent them out, no more. Bare in mind, unless you hear from the state your app is good 10 days after you file. Keep copies of your application, check and certifiction of mailing date.

now when i went to lansing. the woman working at the time told me, right before she stamped my papers, that it's 20 days after they receive their copy, thru certified mail, that at that point, we are considered ok, OR, come in like i did and get it stamped and you are good from that minute on. which must be true, because of my being able to join 2 disp's that day and purchase. below is taken right from the mmmp, michigan.org

Complete applications, change forms and reapplications for previous denials are then processed in the date order in which they are received. If a denial letter is not received, then the application is deemed valid. The statute currently allows for a copy of the application submitted to serve as a valid registry identification if the card is not issued within 20 days of its submission to the department. At this time, we are unable to issue valid registry identification cards within the statutory time frame with the resources available to us. We continue to review and revise our processing methods in order to more efficiently process and issue the valid registry cards.

that is from their page, stating 20 days after, if no denial, then good to go. guess ill be updating you when i get my card as to how long it takes vs what stamp they give. Peace

now when i went to lansing. the woman working at the time told me, right before she stamped my papers, that it's 20 days after they receive their copy, thru certified mail, that at that point, we are considered ok, OR, come in like i did and get it stamped and you are good from that minute on. which must be true, because of my being able to join 2 disp's that day and purchase. below is taken right from the mmmp, michigan.org
Thank you sir, I stand corrected. I took another look at my papers which I actually sent in on the Tenth (Not the Twentieth). I received my card April 28 2011, sent in December 10, 2010. Let us know when your's comes.

not a biggie at all bro. in fact, its great to know someone out there is actually reading these posts lol. kinda/very new here and working on me first crop now. disappointing males slowed me back a bit, but got some fems going now. good luck & peace!

almost forgot to thank you for letting me know about them dating it the way they do. by the time i get my card, i'll have to apply for my renewal, lol. once again, peace!

Back
Top Bottom