Mid 70's and today's fertilization

paganini

I remember in upstate NY I grew what we called home grown. No buds, just great leaves. The PH used was 7.0 because was stated in the Marijuana Grower's Handbook which I bought from a High Times magazine. Because the season was so short, never got any buds. Of course, we used the Colombian seeds we got from our purchasing of baggies an always believe they were Sativa kind which grew fast and very tall.

For fertilizer I used a lot of wood ashes and anything I found to be high on N low on P and high on K.

The plants grew over 7 feet tall and had to keep bending them so no one would notice them.

Today's growing is so much different calling for a PH to be around 5.5 to 5.8. Different people advertising different fertilizers which I have bought (Advance Nutrients). Great LED lights are also available. I use Hydro II and my little plants are very deep green and are supposed to be Indica kind. I only have 6 of them but planning to do some cloning later when the plants are taller. The clones will be DWC grown.

There were two differences with the leaves I grew and the baggies I bought. My grown leaves were very good and many told me was the best home grown in NY state. But the baggies I purchased where about 30 to 40% stronger in the high. The other difference was the price of the baggies $30 to $40 per ounce versus my grown stuff at $0.

These today seeds, lights, and fertilizers are more sophisticated and expensive. Can't wait to see the results.

I would like to hear from 1970's growers who also did the same as I did and how did they mixed 1970's grow habits with today's to get good results.

We have our house for sale here in the Caribbean and planning to move to Colombia where we have a small farm and perhaps I can do a little growing outdoors. Impossible to grow outdoors here because yards are small and noise people.

Well since you are not getting any love here I will tell you what I did in the 70's...I was pooping my pants and painting with my fingers. I didn't get my first bag until about '87 and it was buds. But I grew up in Oregon...Northern calli is where it was at back in the day but that is because Oregonians will keep telling you all it does is rain here...stay away.

Good luck!
:ciao:

Lol, thanks for giving me a little love. So if pooping your pants and then painting with fingers, all your murals must have been brown. I have a nephew in Oregon and says the same thing. Rain and rain, then when it stops raining, it starts all over again. I love rain but once or twice a week is plenty. I have a little farm in Colombia, South America that rains every day but just for about 15 to 20 minutes and the temperature is 55-60F at nights and low to mid 70's during the day. And yes, all year around.

You would have probably received more traction if you posted this in the "over 50" forum. Yes, I grew leaves only once too in 1973 or 1974 from Mexican Brown Weed bagseeds. I grew it in a field with corn as a cover crop. When I say grew, it was more like drop seeds in the dirt and hope they sprouted and lived. Two plants did make it 100% on their own, and after a few months those suckers were taller than me. By September they were the only green thing in the field and I had to hatchet them, no buds or flowers of any size, just sack full of leaves. We smoked them and it was OK for free, but I would throw it in the compost pile if presented with it today!

Best of Buds
JB

Marijuana Growers Handbook did say to grow with corn because was the same PH (7.0) and that they would be hidden between rows. My neighbor had a huge cornfield across my house but I was afraid I will get cut because his wife worked at the Sheriff's office. The Handbook also stated to grow where there are many small pine trees and that was a good idea because back in them days they had the helicopter flying around all the time.

Moderators, please move this thread to the over 50 forum.

Thanks JB

Back
Top Bottom