Midwest noob grower

Feminized photo
Hi @skipeye and welcome to the forum! :welcome:
I am curious and I have to ask then, since you have been looking around for a while, why did you choose to start in a large container when it is so hard to properly water or develop a solid rootball that way?
Let me assure you a little bit about your pH mistake. Right now, about the only thing your plant really needs in large amounts is Nitrogen, and that should be in abundance in your soil. Nitrogen is available to the plant across a very wide pH range that includes all of the soil and the hydro ranges... pH is not a factor here in your slowdown. Also, you really don't need to add anything else right now, including calmag, until the plant starts showing a need for this supplement.
So lets examine how you are watering very carefully... I think it is here that we will find your answers.

Hi @skipeye and welcome to the forum! :welcome:
I am curious and I have to ask then, since you have been looking around for a while, why did you choose to start in a large container when it is so hard to properly water or develop a solid rootball that way?
Let me assure you a little bit about your pH mistake. Right now, about the only thing your plant really needs in large amounts is Nitrogen, and that should be in abundance in your soil. Nitrogen is available to the plant across a very wide pH range that includes all of the soil and the hydro ranges... pH is not a factor here in your slowdown. Also, you really don't need to add anything else right now, including calmag, until the plant starts showing a need for this supplement.
So lets examine how you are watering very carefully... I think it is here that we will find your answers.

Hi Emilya!

Thanks for the warm welcome.
I've read both side about either transplanting or starting in it's final destination pot. I think the reason I went ahead and planted it in the 3-gal is because the previous owner of the setup said that's how he did it and had great success. Might have been an amateur mistake on my part; I have read it both ways though.

Definitely gonna watch my watering, but be much more careful about my pH as well. I'm hoping as the week goes on and it gets pH balanced water, it starts to bounce back.

Wel, 3 gallon isn't so bad... and this will be easy to recover from and go on from there. In your readings you must have read all the people purporting to be experts who had a better way to grow a solid rootball, without having to use successive uppotting techniques... or maybe that was not what they were promoting after all... they just said it would work their way. You have to read carefully these days my new friend... everyone online is an expert.

Read my very popular watering article to get a concept of why it is important to establish a wet/dry cycle, and I think that knowledge will help you a lot. I would like to suggest that to survive a large container mistake with power, that you should water every other day with only about a cup of water, just out to around about 3x the diameter of the plant. Keep lifting the container to see if the water from the previous big waterings has been used yet, but until the container gets light as a feather, don't try to water the entire container to runoff again. With this 2 stage watering method you can keep the plant's metabolism up, allow the soil to dry out all the way to the bottom of the container, and you can promote aggressive top and mid level root growth with the regular waterings.
side note: balanced water is neutral, 7.0 pH. You want slightly acidic fluids, at 6.3 pH, pH "adjusted" water. I know you meant that, but we might as well start working on using the correct terminology. :) :peace: :love:

Wel, 3 gallon isn't so bad... and this will be easy to recover from and go on from there. In your readings you must have read all the people purporting to be experts who had a better way to grow a solid rootball, without having to use successive uppotting techniques... or maybe that was not what they were promoting after all... they just said it would work their way. You have to read carefully these days my new friend... everyone online is an expert.

Read my very popular watering article to get a concept of why it is important to establish a wet/dry cycle, and I think that knowledge will help you a lot. I would like to suggest that to survive a large container mistake with power, that you should water every other day with only about a cup of water, just out to around about 3x the diameter of the plant. Keep lifting the container to see if the water from the previous big waterings has been used yet, but until the container gets light as a feather, don't try to water the entire container to runoff again. With this 2 stage watering method you can keep the plant's metabolism up, allow the soil to dry out all the way to the bottom of the container, and you can promote aggressive top and mid level root growth with the regular waterings.
side note: balanced water is neutral, 7.0 pH. You want slightly acidic fluids, at 6.3 pH, pH "adjusted" water. I know you meant that, but we might as well start working on using the correct terminology. :) :peace: :love:

My bad. The "adjusted" pH, yes. I finally have an electric pH balance reader; my kit just wasn't accurate enough. I'm getting a majority of people saying just stick to watering right now or use very light nutrients. I'll check out your article!

Hi all! I wanted to give an update on my plants.

So, they're definitely growing. Looks like some of the growth is a little yellow, but I think they're still a little hung up on bad pH and will take a bit to completely flush out.

I have cut back my watering significantly. Y'all were right - I was watering way too much. I haven't given them nuts yet, but will start next week, doing a quarter strength.
I've attached photos of the update. I also attached a photo of the other grow I have going right next to the bigger one.

Thanks everyone for your help so far. And if you have recommendations for here, please, let me know!

Attachments

• IMG_1057.JPG
    IMG_1057.JPG
    734.5 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1058.JPG
    IMG_1058.JPG
    826 KB · Views: 89
Awesome job. Welcome. Glad you got good help to get things moving in the right direction.

Hi all:

I'm sorry I haven't updated much. I had some issues 2-3 weeks ago and posted about them here: Scared at day 56

Today was the day I chopped my first grow down! Oh man, what a feeling. I had butterflies. Here's some pics pre-cut (apologies ahead of time for taking a picture with the lights on). I want to share some of the things I learned along the way in hopes of it potentially helping others.

I found out that my plant was an autoflower when I had been treating it like it was a photo period. This caused a lot of misses in terms of lighting usage, timing of training, nutrients given, etc. I contribute that to being a big reason my plants were of a lower yield. I also blame number 3 below for this.

1. I used an organic potting soil. While it wasn't bad to use, I noticed it was really dense is some area and really low. I also had to add soil 3/4 of the grow in. Make sure you fill your pots up all the way and use a good soil/medium.

2. pH, pH, pH. Make sure you calibrate your pH meters and ALWAYS check your pH when watering.

3. Transplant. I read a lot of research on this topic and decided to stick them directly into the soil after germification. a giant, 3-gallon fiber pot. I don't recommend it. I feel like my roots would have had a better start in a solo cup, honestly. Transplanting from something as small as a solo cup is really easy and can give your roots a better head-start.

I'll be starting my next grow here in a few days. SUPER excited to start on 2 Zkittlez and 1 Blueberry. I'll also be using only mega crop for my next grow for nutrients, so if you're curious about it, stay tuned.

I also want to give a big shout-out to those that helped and supported me along the way, especially (and sorry if i missed anyone): @bluter @Jack420 @Vulx @Hydroholic @Pennywise @Emilya
I also now, whole-heartedly, believe the @Emilya article on watering a plant SAVED my plants lives. I'll be adding it to my signature.

Finally, yes, I'll maybe get just shy of an ounce out of it. But it was my very first run at it and damnit, I'll be proud of whatever I harvest! I've had so much fun and satisfaction out of doing this!

IMG_1446.jpg

IMG_1445.JPG

IMG_1444.JPG

Congrats, every bit adds up.
Great first auto grow.
How are you going to cure it?

Welcome. @Pennywise has gave you great advice!

have you thought of starting a journal?

I think the plant should be just fine once you get ph taken care of.

my current grow has a plant that I feel most would have tossed but I have always thought those were the best ones if you can get it healthy. It’s like it rewards you for not killing it lol.

great to have you on board.

Being
Hi all:

I'm sorry I haven't updated much. I had some issues 2-3 weeks ago and posted about them here: Scared at day 56

Today was the day I chopped my first grow down! Oh man, what a feeling. I had butterflies. Here's some pics pre-cut (apologies ahead of time for taking a picture with the lights on). I want to share some of the things I learned along the way in hopes of it potentially helping others.

I found out that my plant was an autoflower when I had been treating it like it was a photo period. This caused a lot of misses in terms of lighting usage, timing of training, nutrients given, etc. I contribute that to being a big reason my plants were of a lower yield. I also blame number 3 below for this.

1. I used an organic potting soil. While it wasn't bad to use, I noticed it was really dense is some area and really low. I also had to add soil 3/4 of the grow in. Make sure you fill your pots up all the way and use a good soil/medium.

2. pH, pH, pH. Make sure you calibrate your pH meters and ALWAYS check your pH when watering.

3. Transplant. I read a lot of research on this topic and decided to stick them directly into the soil after germification. a giant, 3-gallon fiber pot. I don't recommend it. I feel like my roots would have had a better start in a solo cup, honestly. Transplanting from something as small as a solo cup is really easy and can give your roots a better head-start.

I'll be starting my next grow here in a few days. SUPER excited to start on 2 Zkittlez and 1 Blueberry. I'll also be using only mega crop for my next grow for nutrients, so if you're curious about it, stay tuned.

I also want to give a big shout-out to those that helped and supported me along the way, especially (and sorry if i missed anyone): @bluter @Jack420 @Vulx @Hydroholic @Pennywise @Emilya
I also now, whole-heartedly, believe the @Emilya article on watering a plant SAVED my plants lives. I'll be adding it to my signature.

Finally, yes, I'll maybe get just shy of an ounce out of it. But it was my very first run at it and damnit, I'll be proud of whatever I harvest! I've had so much fun and satisfaction out of doing this!

IMG_1446.jpg

IMG_1445.JPG

IMG_1444.JPG
The first one usually never goes the way we want but congrats on a complete grow. I have a feeling your next plants will be much better. Tag me when you start the next journal.

Congrats, every bit adds up.
Great first auto grow.
How are you going to cure it?

It's currently drying in a closet that's been staying between 68-71 degrees to dry. Wait for the stems to dry and "snap" and curate in a mason jar, burping it a few times a day. :)

Back
Top Bottom