Mini photography tutorial

You can do it with the Fuji. Time to read the manual.
I was just reading some of the manual. Mostly the Macro Part since that is (was) the most troublesome for me. I was wondering why I couldn't get the Macro Symbol to work right. Camera has to be on Advanced Settings for it to work. Has Macro & Super Macro & the White Balance thing. This thing does all kinds of stuff I didn't know about. A buttload of photo imaging stuff built in. I'm going to learn what all this thing does even if I have to read all 131 pages of the manual 5 times to make it stick.... lol.
Here's a couple test pics I took from about 2" away in Macro Mode. Not too bad for a first try & no tripod.
DSCF1828.JPG
DSCF1830.JPG
DSCF1831.JPG

Thanks for the Tips guys. Now to practice so when I get that special nug I can enter the contest. This will at least give me a chance to compete. Your help was much appreciated & saved me $200 too !

The manuals often leave out a critical "how to white balance" step.

Turn your LED up to max. Find a pure white solid object to set the white balance with. Then do whatever the manual says. You don't want to set the white balance by taking a pic of weed.

My camera has two custom white balances I can store. And it has an auto white balance that does not work that well under LED.

I'm definitely getting better pics then before. Thanks !
I finally opened the Tripod & put the camera on it. Tripod came with a remote for the camera I guess. My camera didn't come with one though so not sure if this will work. Doesn't your camera have to have Wi-Fi to use a remote flash ? I don't think mine is Wi-Fi capable. Still reading the manual & haven't gotten to that part yet; but it's only showing one 9800 model with Wi-Fi & it's not the one I have. May still have to buy a different camera after all.

I'm definitely getting better pics then before. Thanks !
I finally opened the Tripod & put the camera on it. Tripod came with a remote for the camera I guess. My camera didn't come with one though so not sure if this will work. Doesn't your camera have to have Wi-Fi to use a remote flash ? I don't think mine is Wi-Fi capable. Still reading the manual & haven't gotten to that part yet; but it's only showing one 9800 model with Wi-Fi & it's not the one I have. May still have to buy a different camera after all.
Check to see if you have a shutter delay function, that's just as good as a remote.

Proper lighting and focus are two of the most important aspects of a good photo.

And if you want to do a bit of editing I use a free program called FastStone Image viewer for my final editing and resizing.

Cheers

Yeah, found out only the S9900W has Wi-Fi. Camera does have a 2 sec & 10 sec Shutter delay function.
But..............., I just found a Canon Rebel T7 / 2000D Brand New / Open Box for $100 on the bay. Bought it. Coming from China, but hell, it's made there anyway. Suppose to arrive by the 31st. Couldn't pass that up since they go for $350 + in the U.S. There was 10 available if anyone is interested.
s-l1600.jpg

Decided to check out how good the Auto White Balance is on my Nikon D40
First I tried the Tungsten, Sunshine, Shade etc defaults - results were all interesting, but bad
Since AWB seemed to be best, I then set a Custom White Balance to compare the results
Incidentally, in the process of doing this [pointing the camera at a sheet of white paper under the lamp] I could clearly see dust and grease on the mirror/lens

Here's the result

Auto White Balance Under LED

auto-white-balance.JPG

Custom White Balance Under LED

custom-white-balance.JPG

Conclusion: It is well worth generating a custom white balance

The custom white balance works well for me. If the flash goes off unexpectedly, it can mess it up the colors if it was white balanced without a flash. My flash doesn't go off in the tent often. I white balanced without a flash.

The custom white balance works well for me. If the flash goes off unexpectedly, it can mess it up the colors if it was white balanced without a flash. My flash doesn't go off in the tent often. I white balanced without a flash.
Yes, I balanced without a flash too
I often use a flash 1/3 power as a fill-in even in good light, which whitens a little but doesn't affect the overall WB

Could be a fake Canon. They get knocked off a lot and sold on eBay.

How To Spot A Fake Canon Camera

Hopefully, it isn't.
It has been a long time but what you are talking about seems to be similar to when name brand cameras were imported and sold at a discount price because there was no warranty and little, if any, documentation. That made it really hard for owners to get factory authorized repairs because of the missing documents and paper trail. Yet they were legit camera and not stolen, just no paperwork to go with the camera.

It has been a long time but what you are talking about seems to be similar to when name brand cameras were imported and sold at a discount price because there was no warranty and little, if any, documentation. That made it really hard for owners to get factory authorized repairs because of the missing documents and paper trail. Yet they were legit camera and not stolen, just no paperwork to go with the camera.
Sure hope you're right. I've got a buttload of pics & info from the Canon website to compare it when it arrives. Got me a little worried since it was so cheap.

The DP Review website doesn't show a forum for the Canon T7 / 2000D. Any other photo sites you know of I can ask questions ? Want to learn more about photography & lenses. Like will any Canon Lens fit any Canon Camera or do you need to buy adapters ? Sure need to know what lenses will fit & which ones wont because they are damned expensive.
Also need to know what type of lens is good for what kind of pics. This is all new to me. Like starting kindergarten all over.... lol.

Looks like the Canon is 3 years newer, shoots raw, has larger image files, etc. but a slower frame rate than your Fuji...

Not a big deal for what you are going to be using it for.

Side by side comparison

Cheers
Thanks. Looks like the Fuji is better for some things & the Canon for others. If the Fuji had Wi-Fi I wouldn't have bought another camera. But I'm interested in the Wi-Fi thing because I move too much & want to use the remote flash. If the Canon is the real thing, I got my monies worth so can't complain.
I need to find out more about how to tell which lenses will fit the Canon. Not sure if you can use any lens at all as long as you get the adapter or if there are specific sizes & brands or what. Got a site that can teach me something ?
Much appreciated on the info you provided.

Thanks. Looks like the Fuji is better for some things & the Canon for others. If the Fuji had Wi-Fi I wouldn't have bought another camera. But I'm interested in the Wi-Fi thing because I move too much & want to use the remote flash. If the Canon is the real thing, I got my monies worth so can't complain.
I need to find out more about how to tell which lenses will fit the Canon. Not sure if you can use any lens at all as long as you get the adapter or if there are specific sizes & brands or what. Got a site that can teach me something ?
Much appreciated on the info you provided.
Like anything else, google is your friend ;)

For instance, "which lenses for Canon T7 / 2000D" will get you started.

DP review and DXO are good sites for comparing lenses.

You will likely only need one lens, something like a Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM is a good range for general work.

And a macro lens is nice to have, something in the 100mm range.

To get started, read the manual, twice. Long and boring but do it....

It will familiarize you with what all the buttons are for.

Then use the camera. When you can't figure out how to do something specific, go back to the manual.

For discussion, there are tons of Photography Forums on line, doesn't have to be Canon specific. They usually don't discriminate ;)

Have fun and Beware, it can be addictive, he, he...

Cheers

And a macro lens is nice to have, something in the 100mm range.
Yeah, this is the one I was looking at. Used it's going for about $300. This is why i have to learn about lenses. Don't want to spend that kind of cash & find out it wont work. Also, want to know what to look for so I don't buy something fake.
Thanks again.
"which lenses for Canon T7 / 2000D" will get you started.
Duh, why didn't I think of that.... lol.... too stoned ! But, it does help if you get pointed in the right direction. Especially when you're stoned.

Back
Top Bottom