Miracle grow

420fishin

Is it safe to say "stay away from all MG products?Guess I'll have to take that long drive to get some sounds like it's worth it FF that is

Pit Viper is right on. If at all possible get something else. If budget/time/distance limit that option you can use mg soil. For starters, imo, avoid MG moisture control or standard potting mix. These all advertise how they will feed your plant for 6 months. This means there is no way to fully flush nutes out before harvest. Imo this decreases overall quality of harvest as well as having a less than ideal levels of n-p-k through out the grow. Instead I would go with the seed starter or organic potting mix. If I was using one of those I would also do a 50/50 mix with perlite to lighten the soil.

I use MG had great success in the past... still use it.... Jfizz is right - do a 50 -50 mix perlite to lighten the soil, and after 1 months or so ... a feeding schedule can get pretty religious if you know what ya doing.

Since this is the organic soil section, I'll suggest another option for you....
Mix your own.
Find a good base organic potting mix...FF or Dr Earth or Gardener and Bloom or similar.....
Mix in some good organic tomato ferts with mag and cal and bone/feather meal, kelp meal, high Nitrogen bat guano, perlite, peat moss, maybe some dolomite lime and of course the extra special ingredients worm castings and compost.

Make sure to add something with myco... Great White or similar....

Or search for the subcool mix, it's pretty much the same but better explained.

Feed once a week with a seaweed/humate/bat guano bubbled tea and prepare to be amazed!

Yeah, it's work, but it's good work and if you really want organic, you will know whats in it:)
Anyway, it works for me....
peace,
OG
Edit: Of course all plants have their own requirements and may need additional supplements, and proper pH is essential also....what I described is for vegging, you will need to lower N and increase PK during flowering...but you already knew that.....

Mixing your own can get complicated for beginners, You need to have a few months exoperience before you start jumping into your own mixing recipe... some peolple just have a naturall green thump... others have to work at it (as myself).

I suggest you stay far away from MG products... even their perlite has extra chemicals & nutes in it lol

If you are going to use it, flush it a couple times before you plant in it..and add some magnesium right away since MJ is a magnesium intensive crop and MG soil lacks MG.

Here's my soil mix based off subcool's recipe.. I made a 1/4 batch if you were wondering.

(~ indicating roughly)
~1.5 Bags of Roots Soil Mix
~1/2 Bag of Mendo Mix (seen here) (Not sure how this stuff is going to fare out)
~1.5 Gallons Perlite (regular sized, big bag said ultra chunky what a lie)
~12.5# Worm Castings
2 Cups Espoma Bio-Tone Starter .875# 4-3-3
3.75 Cups Bone Meal 1.31# 6-9-0
1.5 Cups Blood Meal .5625# 12-0-0
2 Cups Sunleaves Indonesian Bat Guano 1# .5-12-.2
3 oz. Espoma Garden Lime (dolomite) I blended it up in a little chopper, about 1/4 of it was still 1mm chunks, 1/2 was powder and the rest was sand texture.
24g Azomite
1.5oz Epsom Salts
5g Humus
3 Tbsp Soil Secrets Earth Nectar
3 Tbsp Soil Secrets Earth Ambrosio

The only thing I want to add next time is some mycorrhizae.

Mix the soil up, let it sit for 3 weeks or more (moist) sealed up in a warm place (above 70 degrees so it can cook and amend itself). I mixed it and aerate it a couple times.. Rubbermaid tubs work nicely, old trashcans, etc.

You put about 20-60% in the bottom of the 5-10 gallon pot and plain base soil (in my case roots organic) in the top with a little bit of the two mixed together creating a buffer layer for the roots.

THIS SOIL IS VERY HOT DO NOT PUT SEEDS/CLONES RIGHT INTO IT. The roots hit the buffer layer, and it simple prepares them. Sometimes plants get hot feet (a little bit of nute burn...they should be okay unless you used too much soil. Back it off next time.

There is no need to PH your water at all, just make sure there's no chlorine or chloramine in it.

If you're using smaller pots, I think the best way to use this soil is 20-30% supersoil in the bottom, a buffer layer bringing it up to about 50% and mix the top 20% in with a little bit of super soil. Then top off with base soil. You might have to add more as a top dressing later on down the road, but at least they won't burn up!

Cheers.

(~ indicating roughly)
~1.5 Bags of Roots Soil Mix
~1/2 Bag of Mendo Mix (seen here) (Not sure how this stuff is going to fare out)
~1.5 Gallons Perlite (regular sized, big bag said ultra chunky what a lie)
~12.5# Worm Castings
2 Cups Espoma Bio-Tone Starter .875# 4-3-3
3.75 Cups Bone Meal 1.31# 6-9-0
1.5 Cups Blood Meal .5625# 12-0-0
2 Cups Sunleaves Indonesian Bat Guano 1# .5-12-.2
3 oz. Espoma Garden Lime (dolomite) I blended it up in a little chopper, about 1/4 of it was still 1mm chunks, 1/2 was powder and the rest was sand texture.
24g Azomite
1.5oz Epsom Salts
5g Humus
3 Tbsp Soil Secrets Earth Nectar
3 Tbsp Soil Secrets Earth Ambrosio

QUOTE]

:hmmmm:

You know what would go great with this recipe?
A youTube tutorial!

i just tested the ph on my bag of miracle grow potting mix. ORANGE! thats between a 3 and 4 on my kits scale. 7 is neutral. check their website. many people are having problems this year with yellowing leaves and stunted growth. screw MG. costing me time and money. serves me right buying expensive hybrid seeds and using cheap toxic dirt.:goodjob:

Mg is not cannabis friendly I haven't used that garbage since 97 I was 16 lol. It's utter crap. Fox farm or ez grow are good fertilizer to start with. I personally used to use FF now house and garden is my nute of choice. But previous poster was right wrong section. Mg is definitely not organic

Back
Top Bottom