Missty80's Grow Journal: Hey Guys I'm Back!

hi everyone, thanks so much for all the advice and input. you guys are wonderful for helping a girl out <3 :)

so this time around, going by the advice i've received...

1) cut out the PK Boost, just use MC, ph to 5.8-6.2 to about 10% runoff, and test the runoff ph (i usually do this anyway).
2) eliminating cal-mag unless i start to see calcium deficiency.
3) no fimming/topping; just doing LST.
4) keeping the lamp 18-20" above the canopy, no lower.
5) chopping the plants when they trichomes are milky (i have a digital microscope), not waiting for all the hairs to turn orange/amber.
6) drying the plants slower this time, maybe even 6-7 days. i usually hang the entire plant for a few days before doing trimming--this makes trimming the leaves faster and easier.

yes, i believe it's mostly true that indicas are "chunkier" than sativas; most seed sites, i'm no pro yet, but i've noticed this is true, because my mom mostly prefers sativas. i only grow one high-CBD plant twice a year, because she likes that indica-dominant high-CBD to help her relax and get to sleep at night, and many of the high-CBDs are indica dominant (like Black Mamba from Blimburn, she really liked that one...it had dark purple buds!).

just for kicks, here's pics of the Black Mamba i grew awhile back. not sure how great it looks, but it had a pretty decent citrusy smell and taste, though i thought it smoked kinda harsh... >.> it's 100% indica though, so my mom liked it for bedtime.

btw, it looks compact because i molded it a little with my hands, pressed and compacted it a bit when it was wet so it would at least LOOK like good bud :p

on a good note, at least this bud wasn't very fluffy or leafy. it was pretty decent, i think...maybe because it's 100% indica, idk, but it stayed small...about 1.5' high when i chopped it, but it was very chunky and THICC :p

20200329_122219.jpg

20200307_203708.jpg

20200329_121520.jpg

20200329_122555.jpg

thanks again y'all :)

<3 misty

You are getting great advice. Never let Coco dry out .... Never. I feed twice per day in veg till run off & 3 times per day in Flower. Nutrients every time. Never just water. pH should be 5.5 - 6-0 (5.8 is best). 2 weeks before harvest I go to 6.4 pH.
I honestly don't remember the reason but was taught this by Old Salt who has been growing in Coco forever. Never the less I've had great results with it. Doing 1 - 2 plants in Coco might not be too bad if you are hand feeding. I did 8 & it was hell to keep up with. 3 hours or more per day mixing & feeding. No Thanks ! I went back to the simplicity of soil. Feed once every 2 days in soil makes things quick & easy.
Mega Crop is great. I've used it for 3 grows with great results. However, at 3.5 grams you will starve your plants. I usually get up to 4.5 - 5 gr. per gal. during Veg. 5.5 - 6.5 gr. during Flower. No need to add anything else. I've tried the Sweet Candy & Bud Explosion with it & I don't recommend it. But I have found that adding 1 ml. per gal. of Terpinator during Flower increases Trich production & scent quite a bit. You would think SC would do the same but it caused nute burn.

2) eliminating cal-mag unless i start to see calcium deficiency.
You will need Cal Mag during Flower if growing in Coco.
3) no fimming/topping; just doing LST.
You can Top an Auto up to day 21.
5) chopping the plants when they trichomes are milky (i have a digital microscope), not waiting for all the hairs to turn orange/amber.
If you are trying to get something to make her sleep Cloudy wont do it. You need more like 25% - 35% Amber Trichs.
The more Amber = More sedative effect.

i can't do 6.5g per plant of MC. if i go over about 3.5, the tips start burning. i've tried it for the past two grows, because i was thinking maybe the plants weren't getting enough food. so when i bumped it up to 4.5g per gallon, the tips were yellowing the next day. so i had to lower it back down to 3.5, and that seemed to be the plants' happy place.

i can give it a try again, though. maybe i was misjudging the amount i was putting in the water.

i'll keep using the cal-mag, then. i doubt it's hurting anything...besides, i still have half a bottle left, so i might as well use it. my plants are always a nice dark green, so i guess they're ok with using cal-mag. if it isn't helping, at least it's doing no harm.

please understand, i typically grow pretty small plants. they rarely get over 3', and usually they aren't even 3', they're more like 2.8'. i prefer smaller strains because they require a lot less time for LST and all that. i grow this stuff at my mom's place, so i have to drive over there to tend the plants....it's time consuming enough without managing huge, tall plants too.

so you may be using more MC because your plants might be a lot bigger than mine are.

as for topping/fimming, i THINK it's been working, but tbh i'm not certain i'm doing it right. idk, maybe it's been growing two main colas...or maybe they're just two smaller colas instead of one bigger top cola. maybe it's diminishing returns, i'm not really sure. i don't have any science or stats to show you to prove it either way.

about Terpinator...eh...i'm very wary about all these additives that supposedly "max out your yield" or "supercharge your plants". these types of additives are really expensive and add another step to the process, and i've yet to find any science proving their effectiveness.

i only tried PK Bud Booster because i had a complaint about the first bag of MC i got (it arrived damaged and some of the nute had gotten damp and turned into little pebble things), so they sent me a bag of Bud Booster as compensation. i didn't really notice any difference using it, tbh.

thanks for the advice. i'll check in again once the seedlings have grown awhile.

<3 misty

You will need Cal Mag during Flower if growing in Coco.

You can Top an Auto up to day 21.

If you are trying to get something to make her sleep Cloudy wont do it. You need more like 25% - 35% Amber Trichs.
The more Amber = More sedative effect.

sorry for the double post, i forgot to hit Reply the first time :p

i can't do 6.5g per plant of MC. if i go over about 3.5, the tips start burning. i've tried it for the past two grows, because i was thinking maybe the plants weren't getting enough food. so when i bumped it up to 4.5g per gallon, the tips were yellowing the next day. so i had to lower it back down to 3.5, and that seemed to be the plants' happy place.

i can give it a try again, though. maybe i was misjudging the amount i was putting in the water.

i'll keep using the cal-mag, then. i doubt it's hurting anything...besides, i still have half a bottle left, so i might as well use it. my plants are always a nice dark green, so i guess they're ok with using cal-mag. if it isn't helping, at least it's doing no harm.

please understand, i typically grow pretty small plants. they rarely get over 3', and usually they aren't even 3', they're more like 2.8'. i prefer smaller strains because they require a lot less time for LST and all that. i grow this stuff at my mom's place, so i have to drive over there to tend the plants....it's time consuming enough without managing huge, tall plants too.

so you may be using more MC because your plants might be a lot bigger than mine are.

as for topping/fimming, i THINK it's been working, but tbh i'm not certain i'm doing it right. idk, maybe it's been growing two main colas...or maybe they're just two smaller colas instead of one bigger top cola. maybe it's diminishing returns, i'm not really sure. i don't have any science or stats to show you to prove it either way.

about Terpinator...eh...i'm very wary about all these additives that supposedly "max out your yield" or "supercharge your plants". these types of additives are really expensive and add another step to the process, and i've yet to find any science proving their effectiveness.

i only tried PK Bud Booster because i had a complaint about the first bag of MC i got (it arrived damaged and some of the nute had gotten damp and turned into little pebble things), so they sent me a bag of Bud Booster as compensation. i didn't really notice any difference using it, tbh.

thanks for the advice. i'll check in again once the seedlings have grown awhile.

<3 misty

Yes, I start out seedlings at 1 gr. per gal. for 2 weeks. Then 2 gr. 1 week, 3 gr. 1 week, 4 gr. - 4.5 gr. till I start Flower.
This is just approximate as I actually go by leaf color to determine when to up my nutes. Start getting light green I up them. Dark green I decrease them. Dark green with clawed tips is a Nitrogen Toxicity. Thought I'd throw that in there so you can watch for it.

Not sure about the science but have seen fantastic results on my plants so I'm happy.

Not sure about the science but have seen fantastic results on my plants so I'm happy.

that's cool dude. if it works for you, i'm happy for you :thumb: i'm not sure i need it though. this time around i'm going to run straight MC and see how that goes.

checking back, i think i am getting up to about 4.5-5g of MC when they're in full flower mode. i pulled about 4 oz off my last plant, so it's been awhile...i forgot i was measuring using my half-gram spoon (because i temporarily misplaced my gram spoon awhile back...it had fallen behind the desk), so yeah, the full MC feeding is probably topping around 5g or so in full flower.

i sorta just estimate the MC, sometimes it's an even spoonful, sometimes a little more or a little less, it isn't an exact science with me, heh.

going back and rereading some stuff, it seems i've been keeping my 315w CMH waaaay too close to the canopy, jeezis o_O idk how i misread these websites before, but i've been keeping the light about 14-16" above the canopy...no wonder the buds are frying!! it's probably burning off the terpenes and stunting the plant's growth.

that's probably why the plants were drying on the stem. by the time i was ready to chop, they were already getting kinda dry and crispy...not soft, squishy, and skunky. hmmm.

this time, i'm gonna try keeping the light about 24-28" above the canopy and see how that goes.

i'm waiting for the seedlings to pop up now, i've got 'em in the starter plugs.

this time around, i'm growing Seemango Auto and Fastbud Auto. they both have short grow cycles and are supposed to be high-yielding, so i have "high" hopes ;)

please feel free to share any further tips, advice, or wisdom that you wish as this grow proceeds. i'm always happy to learn from veteran growers and produce the best stuff i possibly can. thank you! :)

<3 misty

hi again everyone, misty is back :)

so, my last grow i ended up with about 4 oz of "ok" stuff...it was still leafy and kind of light, though. tbh i'm not very happy with my progress so far...i've done several grows, and i still can't get the tight, dense nugs i'm going for....

just as a reminder, i'm growing plants for my mom. i'm her caregiver and she's a cancer patient. this time around, i really want to pull off an amazing grow.

so this is my rig for this grow:

1 LSD autoflowering seed
315 CMH
3x6 tent
2 clip fans
1 205 exhaust fan w/ carbon filter
1 5-gallon plastic air pot
Coco Loco medium
Megacrop nutrient
PK Bloom Booster
ph up/down liquid
liquid cal-mag

so this time around, i'm going to try this:

1) a tiny pinch of MC in the water once the plant is about 2-3" tall.

2) 1.5-2g of MC + about 2 mL cal-mag once the plant sprouts its third set of leaves.

3) topping out at 3.5g of MC + about 3 mL cal-mag when the plant is mature. i ph the water to about 6.0 - 6.2, this seems to keep the plants dark green and happy.

4) reducing MC to 1.5g + 1g Bloom Booster and 1 mL cal-mag as soon as the plants show their first white pistils.

5) stopping all nutrients 1-2 weeks before buds are ready.

6) keeping the lights about 18-20" above the canopy--my last grow, i moved the lights to about 15-16", and the buds ended up kind of crispy and they had NO aroma, i think i literally "cooked" the terpenes off the buds =/

7) leaving the tent's door open to keep the tent cool. last grow, the temps were reaching 88f, and for a few days it reached over 90f...waaay too hot, i think that caused the airy, looser buds with no skunky scent >.<

8) watering whenever the top 1" of the coco is dry and the pots are light.

9) this time i'm NOT "topping" or "fimming" the plant at all, and i'm not doing any pruning of branches or leaves. this time i'm leaving EVERYTHING natural. i've topped/fimmed all my other crops, and i still don't get tight, dense, aromatic buds x.x

10) i give them 1 gallon of water each time, which seems to leave about 10% runoff in the pot trays. they seem to need water about once every 3 days when they're little, and about once every other day when they're big and mature.

11) chopping the plants, hanging the whole stem together for 2-3 days before trimming. then i trim off the big leaves and hang-dry the plants in about 60% humidity, then chop them down to small chunks and jar cure them for 2 months, opening them each day for about 10 minutes and monitoring the humidity inside each jar. i don't "flush" the coco, as i've read many reliable sources that says this has no benefit...but i do deprive the plants of nutrients for the last 1-2 weeks, because i believe that makes the plant "eat up" the nutrients left inside the plant (so the leaves start going yellow and falling off).

some folks suggest i use more nutes, but when i do that, the plants get burnt tips. it seems like a max of 3.5g of MC in 1 gallon of water is pretty good...any higher, and the plants get burned with yellow tips.

i welcome ALL suggestions and advice. my mother really needs good bud medicine, and lately i feel like i haven't been giving her good quality stuff...it weighs on me, you know? =/ this is supposed to be saving her $$, but she needs the bud to be high quality....not this airy loose shit i've been passing off as "good weed" =(

thanks guys!

<3 misty
LSD is a good choice auto always wanted to.run one of them I did run LSD reg fem was awesome smoke 😊

Hope all is well in your world.

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom