Mistake in making oil

Doctor Trevor

I am making infused coconut oil, based on a friend's instructions. About halfway through the process (using my MBM), I learned I did not use enough cannabis. My friend thinks I can add more and let the MBM do the rest.

The oil is being heated at 160 degrees for 6 hours. I'm thinking that, when it's done, I strain it, add the additional cannabis do it all over again.

Does this sound doable?

Sure - just decarb it - throw it in and let it simmer - I wouldn't even take the old stuff out. I don't think it would hurt (if you have room) Now having said that, I don't have an MBM so not sure how that works and also I've only been at this for a few years so....

The Magical Butter Maker is, essentially, a heated blender. Put your ingredients in, set the temperature and the time and let it go.

I'm thinking of taking the old bud out as it would be easy to filter rather than filter all of it out at once.

Does this sound doable?
I would think so. I am making salve lately for those of us around here with old decrepit knuckles and bone-on-bone joints.

I'm thinking of taking the old bud out as it would be easy to filter rather than filter all of it out at once.
Those were my thoughts too when I started but now I have figured out how to do it with wide mouth pint jars in the oven. For your situation it sounds like the perfect way to go, especially since I have no idea how big the Magic Butter Machine is.

The longer you let the plant matter stay in the oil the more plant taste it will impart so straining out the old stuff isnt a bad idea.
Something I had not thought of. With the salve how it tastes is not anything to consider. But I do have to keep the plant smell, especially any smell of Marijuana, to a minimum. Some of my salve users are still working part-time. A buddy picks up a small amount for his 93 year old mother who is convinced that if she can smell it then there is to much Marijuana in it and she will start hallucinating and try to climb up to the roof and fly off. I told him to tell her not to worry. Her eyesight is so bad that she could not see well enough to find her way onto the roof to begin with.

I would think so. I am making salve lately for those of us around here with old decrepit knuckles and bone-on-bone joints.

Those were my thoughts too when I started but now I have figured out how to do it with wide mouth pint jars in the oven. For your situation it sounds like the perfect way to go, especially since I have no idea how big the Magic Butter Machine is.

Something I had not thought of. With the salve how it tastes is not anything to consider. But I do have to keep the plant smell, especially any smell of Marijuana, to a minimum. Some of my salve users are still working part-time. A buddy picks up a small amount for his 93 year old mother who is convinced that if she can smell it then there is to much Marijuana in it and she will start hallucinating and try to climb up to the roof and fly off. I told him to tell her not to worry. Her eyesight is so bad that she could not see well enough to find her way onto the roof to begin with.
Yeah. I bought a cannabis cookbook recently that calls for dry decarbing first and then only 2 hours of infusing in the oil. Not much smell to it at all and plenty effective. Ive used kief/hash as well making oil which is great but not everyone has a stash of it.

I am making infused coconut oil, based on a friend's instructions. About halfway through the process (using my MBM), I learned I did not use enough cannabis. My friend thinks I can add more and let the MBM do the rest.

The oil is being heated at 160 degrees for 6 hours. I'm thinking that, when it's done, I strain it, add the additional cannabis do it all over again.

Does this sound doable?
Hey Doc how are you?
Decarb the rest and add it.
With some hot water.
Cook at 190f don't let it get any higher.
Then just leave it in for 6-12 hrs strain out the pot.
Put it in fridge.
Oil will harden on top.
Dump water and your ready.
I made a couple of pot fulls a month for years ,let me know if you have any questions.
Stay safe.
Bill

thanks for the advice everyone. I pulled the container of oil out and will add the last of my Dark Angel bud to it as well as some palm leaves (can't waste the trichomes).

Has anyone tried making Cococanna oil by placing a sieve or colander or whatever to hold the weed in the oil?? :hmmmm: A larger version of those little tea thingys. You still need to put it into something to squeeze the remainder out but it might make the initial straining easier.

PS Doc - don't forget the lecithin!! :ciao:

Do I need lecithin for coconut oil?

The MBM comes with a nylon filter. It's just a sleeve with a mesh screen on the bottom. That filters pretty well.

a sleeve with a mesh screen
That would work well - I tried to make something that I could use sort of the way a caulking gun works but it just as sloppy to get everything in that than just squeezing thru panty hose!!!

The lecitin helps your body metabolize the good stuff!!! So I'm told!!! :hmmmm:

Has anyone tried making Cococanna oil by placing a sieve or colander or whatever to hold the weed in the oil?? :hmmmm: A larger version of those little tea thingys. You still need to put it into something to squeeze the remainder out but it might make the initial straining easier.

PS Doc - don't forget the lecithin!! :ciao:
Hey @greenjeanns hope your well today.
I use a wine making bag.
Do a search on zon they have various sizes and microns.
Keep your pot in the bag and just set it in your crock pot.
190f 6-12 hrs lift bag out and just spin it to squeeze out your product.
Just like the real producers.
Stay safe.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom