MK-Ultra Hempy - C02 - 1000 Watts

Re: MK-Ultra Hempy, C02, 1000watts.

looks like some serious weight there buddy ;)

I'm very impressed!

:thumb:
I sure hope so.

Projected harvest date for the MK Ultra:
March 18th.

I won't be able to chop them the 19th to the 22nd, due to family visiting. I suppose I could do it late at night if needed, but I'd rather not.

On the 14th it will be exactly 8 weeks. Triches are currently mostly cloudy, with some clear and very little amber.

I've lowered the RH of the room into the high 30's....which has helped with resin production quite a bit. Unfortunately, I also think it's not too good for the Casey Jones.....but we'll just have to see about that.

The SLH clone looks like someone sprayed it with 3M sticky spray and then sprinkled sugar all over it. Ridiculous.

For the next grow, I'm definitely going to do a couple in soil with time released nutes for comparison. As much as I like this hempy method, the health of that clone and the ease of growing that style---if it pans out---is far superior.

Damn Doc. Both the MK & CJ look good. Awesome job ;)

For the next grow, I'm definitely going to do a couple in soil with time released nutes for comparison. As much as I like this hempy method, the health of that clone and the ease of growing that style---if it pans out---is far superior.

Combine the time-release nutes with some of these and what's left to do?

Driwater Time Release Watering Gel Packs Lot of 12 - eBay (item 280474791121 end time Mar-10-10 01:tommy:14 PST)

Automate light distance to canopy?

set it and forget it?

lol

Day 53 Flower:

I've got some interesting stuff to report! The Casey Jones have taken off. I've had to stake them up, tie the branches to eachother....the cola's are now rivaling the MK Ultra, except there's more of them!

Pruning rocks! When my friend showed me how to prune, I was amazed at how many leaves he cut off, mainly from the bottom. He said not to worry, this would increase, not decrease yield. Was he ever right!

All of the bud shots you see here are from two Casey Jones. 50/50 Coco/perlite. PH 6.0.
IMG_05344.JPG

IMG_05353.JPG

IMG_05363.JPG

The SLH clone continues to amaze me.
The MK Ultra are finishing up. Lot's of cloudy triches now, but still too many clear ones. My tentative harvest date of March 18th is.....tentative. I may let them go a while past that.

Interestingly, the one plant I have with the yellowing leaves seems to be shrinking. The bud mass seems smaller. Perhaps that's because everything else is getting larger? I don't know, but that plant is definitely not performing like the others. I took a few sugar leaves off and examined them under the microscope....and I wear I saw strange looking spider/crab things stuck amongst the trichomes. They weren't moving....it might have just been the way things looked, I don't know.

I know I don't have spider mites...what else could they be? (I was wide awake and unmedicated when I spotted these things.)

Anyhow, perhaps the plant is just shrinking up because the roots aren't working too well. The resin content on that plant is fabulous, however.

The other MK's are still green and are putting on weight nicely.

I started flushing with Final Phase (Advanced Nutrients) I put about 2 gallons through each plant. I want to do a thorough flush on these plants to see if it makes a huge difference in taste, etc.

I'll take more pics in a couple days, but we're headed into the home stretch and things are looking good! I'm going to predict between 13 and 18 ounces from the MK's and about 8 ounces from the 2 Casey Jones.

The SLH clone will probably produce about 1/4 ounce. Not bad for something that had no roots when I planted it, with no veg time.

plants are looking great!

how do you like the 50/50 coco/perlite mix? Have you had to do anything different to maintain the PH?

I hear a lot of positive reports on 50/50 coco/perlite, both in regular pots and hempies.

1/4oz from that sickly looking (when you got it) SLH clone is amazing! Does it smell like lemons?

looks like you're gonna be doing lots of trimming ;)

I'm interested in this pruning technique, especially since I am a proponent of the non-trim method. What area of the plants did you trim? Did you lollypop them? What did you remove - branches, fans, bud sites? Is the goal to stimulate the plant or make room for the sweet spot to get more light?

Looking absolutely awesome Doc!

I am also interested in your pruning method. They look beautiful Doc. There are so many arguments on both sides of pruning, I'm curious if it will affect taste or resin production. :peace:

plants are looking great!

how do you like the 50/50 coco/perlite mix? Have you had to do anything different to maintain the PH?

I hear a lot of positive reports on 50/50 coco/perlite, both in regular pots and hempies.

1/4oz from that sickly looking (when you got it) SLH clone is amazing! Does it smell like lemons?

looks like you're gonna be doing lots of trimming ;)

I haven't paid much attention to the PH of the coco/perlite. I merely mix up the nutes at 6.0 and water. They are yellowing on the lower leaves and dropping off, but the tops are green and fabulous and the buds are growing...so I'm not worried. They are in regular square pots like would be used for flood and drain.....not hempys.

I don't know If I'll actually get 1/4 ounce on the clone....that's a rough estimate. But the damn thing is unbelievably frosty and sugar coated. Every leaf is green, no burn, just gorgeous. Watering is really tough. I hold it under the faucet and turn on the water. That's it. No PH, no nutes (other than the time released Osmocote), nada. It has a wonderful lemony smell.
:yummy:

I'm interested in this pruning technique, especially since I am a proponent of the non-trim method. What area of the plants did you trim? Did you lollypop them? What did you remove - branches, fans, bud sites? Is the goal to stimulate the plant or make room for the sweet spot to get more light?

Looking absolutely awesome Doc!

OK, pruning. The Casey Jones were lanky and very open to begin with. I obtained them when they were 12 days into bloom. They had been topped between the 4th and 5th internode, so they have 4 main colas each.

The pruning went as follows:
remove the lower 3 or 4 branches.
remove the secondary branches on the remaining branches, being careful to keep the fan leaves.
remove all lower bud sites

We took LOTS of leaf and branch material off the plant, and honestly, I was cringing the whole time. But the guy who did it is a master grower and he did it so fast on the first plant I didn't even see what he was doing. He helped me do it myself on the second one. He said that the plant would put all it's energy into the tops....which is exactly what happened.

There's not nearly as much pruning to be done on a plant that hasn't been topped......only 1/4 as much.

You can see what should be pruned off if you look at an unpruned plant when it's late into bloom. All those small, skinny branches down at the bottom that produce the light, airy popcorn buds need to go.

On the larger branches, sometimes there will be a secondary, smaller branch coming off with a smaller bud forming.....that needs to come off. Basically, you want 4 large tops, with little to no lower buds forming. It makes trimming easier, and the quality is higher.

I am also interested in your pruning method. They look beautiful Doc. There are so many arguments on both sides of pruning, I'm curious if it will affect taste or resin production. :peace:

I think the main thing is to do the pruning in the first week or two of flower. The topping, of course, is done early in veg.

The downside to doing this is that you've got to veg your plants much longer. It might not be the best choice for every strain.

However, I think for longer flowering strains that aren't known for high yields this is the way to go.

Sounds like a good way to prune since you end up eliminating most of the popcorn. I'm pretty sure my last grow would have produced more had I done this - as it was I ended up with loads of popcorn buds.

Doc, how did you settle on a ph of 6.0? I am adjusting the ph of my solution to 5.5. A lot of hydroponic growers ph to 5.5 / 5.8. The claim is that this works well because PH tends to drift up in the medium and 5.5 is the bottom of the optimal range, so as it drifts various nutrients become optimally available. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this Doc.

Sounds like a good way to prune since you end up eliminating most of the popcorn. I'm pretty sure my last grow would have produced more had I done this - as it was I ended up with loads of popcorn buds.

Doc, how did you settle on a ph of 6.0? I am adjusting the ph of my solution to 5.5. A lot of hydroponic growers ph to 5.5 / 5.8. The claim is that this works well because PH tends to drift up in the medium and 5.5 is the bottom of the optimal range, so as it drifts various nutrients become optimally available. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this Doc.

Hmmmm. I confess to not knowing much of anything about coco. I inherited these plants "second hand" as someone else had them in an overcrowded grow room and my "femmed" seeds from DrChronic turned out to be males.....so I acquired two extra plants.

I asked the guy what PH to go with, and he said "6." Interestingly, the label on AN products also recommends a PH of 6 for Coco.

These things drain really fast, due to all the perlite, and that may have some mitigating factor on the PH drifting up.

As far as optimal range for hydro.....it seems to be about 5 points lower than with soil. I don't consider coco to be hydro....so....I go with 6.

I dunno.....things seem to be working.

Holy Cow!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Simply amazing, not sure there is anything else to say...

Back
Top Bottom