MK-Ultra Hempy - C02 - 1000 Watts

Hello everyone. New grow:

Strain: MK-Ultra, THseeds.
Genetics: G13xOG Kush.
10 femmed seeds put into water tonite.

Medium: 10litre "Hempy" buckets. Passive hydro.
Nutes: not sure yet. I have FF and Advanced.

Germination method: Long commentary after the pics......
Soak in H2O for 12 hours. Plant in soil/perlite mix in mini-hempy bucket.

Veg: till 7 sets of leaves. Why seven? 'Cuz 8's too many and 6 ain't enough. No, seriously These plants get big and wide, so I'm going to flower sooner.

I would really like to hit 2 pounds on this grow....that would be a touchdown return on the opening kick-off. However, I'll be happy with 24 ounces dried.

IMG_02862.JPG

Mini-hempy buckets
IMG_02822.JPG

IMG_02832.JPG

Seeds in water.....lot's of action! Well, not that much.
IMG_02871.JPG

So, next pics when they sprout. Hopefully I get all 10.

Commentary on my germination method below
-------------------------------------------------
OK, this is my first time growing MJ from seed, and it's my second grow ever.
I've sprouted hundreds of vegetables in my garden, and I've never had any problem. So, I decided to sprout in some soil, even though I'm going to be growing in Perlite/Vermiculite. Here's what I'm doing and why....we'll all see how well it works/doesn't work.

I've been careful to read about seeds from a few different elite growers. I've also done a bit of reading about growing other plants from seed and have distilled all that information into what I think is a sensible method of germination to maximize females and minimize hermies from femmed seeds.

Everything I have done is to minimize stress to the plant in the first few days of it's life which Cee's of No Mercy says determines whether it reaches its genetic potential. Germination is the most critical time in a plants life.

The bottom half of my hempy cups is pure perlite. The top half is 50.50 FFOF and perlite. The top 1/4 inch is pure FFOF.

Here's what stresses roots: Light and being handled. So, after soaking the seeds, their going to into the darkness of being under dirt, pointy side up. The dirt will block the light better than pure perlite.
This way, the roots never see light, and I don't have to move them. All the energy in that seed can go to sending that radicle down to the happy, water rich resevoir. This means the plant will start it's life with minimal stress.

I will have T5 lights about 2 inches above the soil on 18/6. I'm going to hit them with bright light from the get go.

After a couple sets of leaves, I'll put them under MH.

I'm hoping my method:

1.)works
2.)results in a high rate of germination
3.)results in a higher ratio of females (my NEXT grow I'll have to sex.)

Since the plants will already be in hempy's, when I transplant into the big buckets, I'm hoping the roots have healthy mycorhyzial cutures, due to the soil, which could be lacking in a perlite/vermiculite environment. I will also avoid transplant shock, because the roots will be right at the level of the resevoir when I transplant. I lost a good week of growth on my last grow from this.

So, last grow I learned how to control my environment. This grow I'm going to concentrate on minimizing all sorts of shock to the plants.

Then, next grow, I should have some really good stuff! :Rasta:

Re: MK-Ultra-----: Hempy, C02, 1000watts.

How much light you have over these? 1000w? I mean when you start to flower.

I'm doing 5 plants under 1000w with a 2lb goal. 1 of them was my mother, vegged, trimmed and tied back for about 8 months :p

How much light you have over these? 1000w? I mean when you start to flower.

I'm doing 5 plants under 1000w with a 2lb goal. 1 of them was my mother, vegged, trimmed and tied back for about 8 months :p

I'll flower them under 1000w, and a light mover. If you pull 2 lbs off of 5 plants, that will be spectacular. that's nearly 7oz per plant.

I'm shooting for right around 3 oz per plant, which is close to what I got on my last grow.

Thanks for stopping by!

Very nice start to your journal. Look like you have done all your homework and are going to have a very successful grow. Looking forward to watching it all go down. Love all the great pre grow information. Great job + rep

It's cool to see how your method is evolving as you make changes based on the difficulties you encountered on your first grow.

I was reading another hempy grower's experience with the issue of things being sketchy until the roots hit the res, and what he does is to grow his seedlings/clones in a clone bucket until the roots are long enough to transplant into the final hempy bucket. He just dangles them in there and pours the Perlite around them.

Your plan makes sense to me and I really like your layered germination cups. Great idea!

Best wishes doc, and may this grow surpass your last, which was damn nice, lol

It's cool to see how your method is evolving as you make changes based on the difficulties you encountered on your first grow.

I was reading another hempy grower's experience with the issue of things being sketchy until the roots hit the res, and what he does is to grow his seedlings/clones in a clone bucket until the roots are long enough to transplant into the final hempy bucket. He just dangles them in there and pours the Perlite around them.

Your plan makes sense to me and I really like your layered germination cups. Great idea!

Best wishes doc, and may this grow surpass your last, which was damn nice, lol

Yep. That was my thought exactly. I measured the red cups against the 10litre buckets I'll be using and the roots at the bottom of the cup are about 1/2 inch above the resevoir...which is perfect. No transplant shock.

I'm also hoping to generate a nice colony of good bacteria and micro's in the root culture and bring them to the large buckets.

Any ideas about whether I should go FF or Advanced on the Nutes?

Re: MK-Ultra Hempy, C02, 1000watts.

Well, as of two days ago, 6 of the 10 have emerged and look great.

I don't know where the other 4 are, if they're going to sprout or not. They were soaked for about 10 hours....all of them sunk. Not all of the seeds looked the same....some of them were very small compared to the others.

Should I wait a few more days, plant more seeds of a different strain?

Thoughts and opinions are welcome.

The six who germ'd are looking healthy.

I think either the AN or FF would work fine. I prefer to keep things simple whenever possible, so I'd probably go with the one that would give me less work ;).

As far as the seeds go, if you're dead set on growing 10 plants and have the seeds to spare, you might want to plant a few more now in case the other four MK don't pop.

That way, they wouldn't be too far apart age-wise.

Some seeds, even within the same strain, are smaller than others. As long as they were dark and appeared viable, they may still surprise you, but if I had the seeds to spare, I would probably plant 5 more now.

Worst case scenario is you get too many seedlings and might have to cull the weaker ones.

Glad you got six healthy babies!

I think either the AN or FF would work fine. I prefer to keep things simple whenever possible, so I'd probably go with the one that would give me less work ;).

As far as the seeds go, if you're dead set on growing 10 plants and have the seeds to spare, you might want to plant a few more now in case the other four MK don't pop.

That way, they wouldn't be too far apart age-wise.

Some seeds, even within the same strain, are smaller than others. As long as they were dark and appeared viable, they may still surprise you, but if I had the seeds to spare, I would probably plant 5 more now.

Worst case scenario is you get too many seedlings and might have to cull the weaker ones.

Glad you got six healthy babies!

Thanks bro! I wanted 10/10 like you.....I paid for 10.
I know I germed them right too.

I had a couple of seeds that did not pop for around 2 weeks, so that said I would give them a chance. Good luck...

I had a couple of seeds that did not pop for around 2 weeks, so that said I would give them a chance. Good luck...

Thanks for visiting my journal, Sonzor.

I'll give them more time, but I don't expect anymore beans to pop. I don't think I'm going to plant anymore either.....I'll just grow 6 plants this time. I'll veg them a little bigger and see if I can get a pound, or damn close to it.

I think it's a good decision to grow six larger plants.

Are you planning on topping or LST'ing at all?

Maybe you can help me make a decision, SS.

From what I understand, LST is mainly used to control height. I have not read anywhere that it increases yield per se, but helps to balance light and height in indoor grows. Outdoor growers don't use it to increase yield.

Topping. Cervantes says topping doesn't increase yield, it just changes the way a plant grows.

I may not be clear on my understanding of this, so please correct me where I'm wrong.

I plan on pruning a bit of the lower branches and letting the rest of the plant grow normally.

On the last grow, I only vegged for 2 weeks and got 3.7 ounces on one plant, and over 2.5 on 4 others. If I could get 3 ounces on each of 6 plants....

Give me some advice, bro!

LST doesn't really increase your yield, but it does maximize it. When you tie down the plant, it redirects its growth hormones into forming new tops (colas) which shoot out towards the light. The benefit in doing this is you have multiple colas instead of just one, resulting in more of your plant developing larger bud mass. I've never seen any negative results from LST, only a huge positive difference in any situation.

I would imagine outdoor growers don't generally LST as they don't need to open their canopy for better light penetration, and with the light from the sun, they will be able to grow closer to their full potential than they would indoors under less than 100k lumens of light. I have seen outdoor growers LST'ing their plants with good results.

LST doesn't really increase your yield, but it does maximize it. When you tie down the plant, it redirects its growth hormones into forming new tops (colas) which shoot out towards the light. The benefit in doing this is you have multiple colas instead of just one, resulting in more of your plant developing larger bud mass. I've never seen any negative results from LST, only a huge positive difference in any situation.

I would imagine outdoor growers don't generally LST as they don't need to open their canopy for better light penetration, and with the light from the sun, they will be able to grow closer to their full potential than they would indoors under less than 100k lumens of light. I have seen outdoor growers LST'ing their plants with good results.

So you're saying LST increases yield?

I am aware of the auxins the the stimulation of side branches from topping and bending....but I've yet the see any proof that this actually increases yield. I can understand how it allows a person to grow a plant in a small space, or how to maximize light, but if there is adequate light to begin with, I don't know is LST would actually increase overall yield.

As far as topping goes, same thing.

I don't claim to be "right" on this topic...but the people I talk to, who have grown for 10-15 years tell me that topping/lst does not result in greater yield.

Lighting and C02 certainly do. LST can be used to enhance lighting, I suppose. But I've got plenty of light for 6 plants.

Maximizing light should increase yield, and the more branches and leaves a plant has, the more light it can turn into growth energy.

I have no numbers or studies to show you, but the secondary colas on my last grow with 3 plants (using LST) were not much smaller than the main colas on my previous grow of 7 plants without LST, and my yield doubled with less than half as many plants.

There were other variables at play between the two grows, but I'm convinced that the major factor in the greater yield was the LST.

If you're able to juggle individual plant distance to the lights, you could LST one plant, keep it at the same distance from the light as the others, and see what happens.

worst case scenario is your yield doesn't go up on that plant and you tell me I'm full of it ;)

we need data points!

Maximizing light should increase yield, and the more branches and leaves a plant has, the more light it can turn into growth energy.

I have no numbers or studies to show you, but the secondary colas on my last grow with 3 plants (using LST) were not much smaller than the main colas on my previous grow of 7 plants without LST, and my yield doubled with less than half as many plants.

There were other variables at play between the two grows, but I'm convinced that the major factor in the greater yield was the LST.

If you're able to juggle individual plant distance to the lights, you could LST one plant, keep it at the same distance from the light as the others, and see what happens.

worst case scenario is your yield doesn't go up on that plant and you tell me I'm full of it ;)

we need data points!

What kind of yield did you get from your largest plant last grow?

If you're certain it will increase yield, I'll have a go at it.

Hey doc...glad to see you have another grow going...looks like it will be another great one...will be following :popcorn:

thanks! So far it's OK.....but only 6 of the 10 seeds spouted. But those 6 are doing very well.

I'm still hopeful that I'll get some late ones.....

I've got a couple of decisions to make, perhaps you could help me.

I've got the FF trio and Advanced Sensi and Connoisseur nutes. Which should I use?

Back
Top Bottom