Mobile SCROG Attachment for Buckets

jojo677

Hey all!

I had a few requests for a tutorial for my Scrog bucket attachment, so I thought I'd throw something together. Instead of just covering my build, though, I'll list improvements and what would suit different growing styles/mediums. I'll start with the basics though.

Scrog = Screen of Green

The purpose of a Scrog is to provide a structure to make it easy to maximize the amount of bud that gets light from your light source. When a plant is grown without any training, it grows like a Christmas tree, and the lower branches do not get as much light as the top parts, especially in indoor grows. A Scrog allows the grower to keep all of the buds at the same level, to make sure they get the same amount of light.

There are lots of tutorials of how to do it, so I'll just tell you how I made mine, and what I'd do differently.

I planned on doing DWC but changed my mind to hempy after realizing I'd have heat issues. So the frame is somewhat designed around that. The frame is attached to the bucket lid so that in DWC, I could lift everything off and just change 5gal buckets for adjustments and water changes. The air stone would also come out with it.

First are all the pieces. My screen is 24" x 24" inside, made out of 3/4" PVC pipe and fittings. All I needed was a saw and a drill with a few drill bits, etc. I think I used about 2 sticks of 10' PVC, but I'm not completely sure. I can detail it out if anyone needs me to. I also designed mine to be 12" above the bucket lid.

Dimensions and everything needed are listed below:

--------------------------------------------------

Pipe Lengths:

I used 1/2" PVC for this build. It is the smallest size available (that I know of) and is more than strong enough. You should need more than 2X 10' sticks to complete this project.

Qty.--Length----Desc
4-----24"-------Top pieces
4-----1.5"------Stubs for top
4-----11.5"-----Angled arms
4-----8.75"-----Horizontal arms
2-----2.25"-----X swivel pipes (plug these)
2-----4.5"------Sides of base piece
1-----5.75"-----Opposite swivel pipes

Hardware/Fittings:

These are all 1/2" fittings and the misc. stuff.

Qty.--Desc
4-----3-way elbows (90x90x90) for top corners
4-----45° elbows for angling toward the bucket
4-----90° elbows for going to bucket
4-----Tees for the base construction
1-----(Optional) Cross fitting
44----1/2" #6 Screws (self tapping are best)
4-----3/16"ish Screws + matching washers
1-----String/wire/etc.

Tools Needed:

-Saw (I used a oscillating saw, but a hand saw, band saw, etc would work)

-A Drill Bit (appropriately under your stainless screws size so the PVC doesn't crack)

-A Drill

-PVC Primer & Cement (optional, not necessary)

--------------------------------------------------

Now for the pictures and assembly!

scrog_1_.jpg

I glued the "sub-assemblies" together, but the glue is completely unnecessary. I'll point out some better methods later.

scrog_2_.jpg

Then I took the top frame marked 2" centers all the way around and then drove in self-tapping screws (#6 x 1/2" long) all the way around. This is what the string will wrap around.

scrog_3_.jpg

Next up is screwing the base to the bucket lid. Cut out a hole in the lid for the stem of your plant, and use *stainless steel* screws and washers to attach the two. Make sure you drill holes in the PVC fittings first, otherwise they'll crack.

scrog_4_.jpg

scrog_5_.jpg

Put it all together!

scrog_6_.jpg

Break it down!

scrog_7_.jpg

And now is why I went the way I did with my lid design. To hold all the DWC stuff to keep everything contained and allow you to lift the plant/setup out of the reservoir. I didn't end up using these additional parts for my Hempy setup since it is drain-to-waste, but I thought I'd share in case it inspires someone!

scrog_8_.jpg

scrog_9_.jpg

The up side to building my attachment method is the access for watering. I plugged the PVC pipes that plugged into the "X" fitting, so I could pour water in from the top, and it would all go into the bucket.

1_5_30.jpg

107_50f_2_.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------

That ends my part of the tutorial.

Now I'll use some images from growers that don't know I'm using them...

I'll just make a few recommendations:

1. Make your Scrog appropriately sized and accessible. If you have a 4' x 4' Scrog covering 6 plants, you might not be able to maneuver around it very well and access all the plants. This may work if you have access to all sides though.

2. Use something semi-rigid for the mesh. I used nylon string, and it stretches too much. Maybe try wire or twine? Many use chicken wire, concrete wire mesh, wire shelving, etc. Some have luck with small mesh, some go up to 4" squares. 2" seems to be the most common.

3. It doesn't have to hold much. I over-designed mine, and it would stand up to someone kicking it across the room. It is only going to be holding a few pounds of weight... If you're lucky!

First up, Dr. Fish has the setup I wish I had made, just for the simplicity. I didn't see it until mine was complete, but I'd still probably use mine if I was doing DWC. Just attach T's and adjust your height by changing the 2 rod lengths.

IMG_255211.JPG

IMG_256011.JPG

I've also seen plenty of resourceful growers who make their Scrogs from whatever they have laying around. The best advice I have is to make it modular, in the case that you can move your plants around to begin with. This allows you to rotate/work on one plant at a time. Here are a few setups from MassMedMan.

20150807_152745.jpg

20150720_144040.jpg

wizgrow also has a very nice setup. Only 2 of his plants move, but that allows him to get to everything else to keep the Scrog under control!

20141228_212307.jpg

If you have any ideas or improvements, feel free to share them!

Sources:

MassMedMan's Monster SCROG - CBD OG in a Greenhouse

Waterfarm recirculating reservoir and scrog screen add on

Awesome, Love it!! Great work and worth some reps from me.....

Thanks for detailing your setup. I'm straight up stealing your config.
I do see one issue that I might change up a bit.
The up side to building my attachment method is the access for watering. I plugged the PVC pipes that plugged into the "X" fitting, so I could pour water in from the top, and it would all go into the bucket
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but you're actually watering from the bottom up.... yes? The water goes in the pipe and the outlet is the tube with the airstone.
In your case, your airstone aerates the water and bubbles the nutrient mix up thru the medium giving you a nice even coating thru the entirety of your medium. I might want to run mine without the airstone. In my case, I might leave the lid out of the mix and use 4 legs that fit just outside the pot.
I've been a bit shy of trying scrog over the years. I know it's a great method, but it really doesn't fit great in my world. I like and kind of need my pots to be mobile. I remove them from the chamber to water them. I frequently shift things around due to weather extremes. I'm just not a big fan all around of locking my pots down for a few months.
LST on the other hand..... Oh, sorry, that's another book....

Qty
awesome cannot wait to build this..is there any way to no the exact lengths of the pvc cuttings?..

No problem! I made a list of everything needed. I'll see if I can get it added to the original post.

Pipe Lengths:

I used 1/2" PVC for this build. It is the smallest size available (that I know of) and is more than strong enough.

Qty. Length Desc
4-----24"-------Top pieces
4-----1.5"------Stubs for top
4-----11.5"-----Angled arms
4-----8.75"-----Horizontal arms
2-----2.25"-----X swivel pipes (plug these)
2-----4.5"------Sides of base piece
1-----5.75"-----Opposite swivel pipes

Hardware/Fittings:

These are all 1/2" fittings and the misc. stuff.

Qty. Desc

4-----3-way elbows (90x90x90) for top corners
4-----45° elbows for angling toward the bucket
4-----90° elbows for going to bucket
4-----Tees for the base construction
1-----(Optional) Cross fitting
44----1/2" #6 Screws (self tapping are best)
4-----3/16"ish Screws + matching washers
1-----String/wire/etc.

Tools Needed:

-Saw (I used a oscillating saw, but a hand saw, band saw, etc would work)

-A Drill Bit (appropriately under your stainless screws size so the PVC doesn't crack)

-A Drill

-PVC Primer & Cement (optional, not necessary)

This should give enough instruction, but if I can fully edit the first post, I'll even label the pictures. Happy growing!

Thanks for detailing your setup. I'm straight up stealing your config.
I do see one issue that I might change up a bit.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but you're actually watering from the bottom up.... yes? The water goes in the pipe and the outlet is the tube with the airstone.
In your case, your airstone aerates the water and bubbles the nutrient mix up thru the medium giving you a nice even coating thru the entirety of your medium. I might want to run mine without the airstone. In my case, I might leave the lid out of the mix and use 4 legs that fit just outside the pot.
I've been a bit shy of trying scrog over the years. I know it's a great method, but it really doesn't fit great in my world. I like and kind of need my pots to be mobile. I remove them from the chamber to water them. I frequently shift things around due to weather extremes. I'm just not a big fan all around of locking my pots down for a few months.
LST on the other hand..... Oh, sorry, that's another book....

Sorry Tead, I didn't make myself very understandable... I WAS going to use it for DWC, but when I changed to Hempy, I removed the airstone and all the pipes. So that pipe going to the bottom is gone, and all the water comes in at the top.

I wouldn't use the airstone with Hempy either. If you want to stay away from the lid, I'd still recommend attaching the screen to the bucket somehow. Otherwise you'll have to move the plant + screen + legs that are not attached. Just my opinion though!

Oh, I also used to remove my plants for watering, but ever since I added that spout I can just carry my waste water out. It's SO much easier. I can still lift/swivel the hempy around and could take it out if my door was just a BIT wider.. Poor planning.

Like that ;)

for those of you worried about locking your girls in place you just need to plan for that when you design the setup meaning there shouldn't be any reason for you to need to move them, like, I just pull netting across the entire tent using the tent frame ato hold it in place. yeah gotta crawl a bit but *shrug*

Back
Top Bottom