Mod for easy LST in GH Waterfarms

MikkaTheEnt

So, I have been growing in my General Hydroponics Waterfarms (2 of 'em) for a bit over a year now. I've wanted to LST or SCROG or SOG them, but it proved too unwieldy to put a mesh over the tops of them for a canopy, or to tie colas down. No matter what I tied them down to, when it came time to change out the nutes, I'd have to unhook the tie downs to remove the top compartment, or remove the mesh, then hook everything back up when the nute exchange was done. So I put the old thinkin' cap on and came up with an easy solution, which other Waterfarm users may benefit from.

First, I bought a set of 8 eyehooks, machine threaded, with two nuts and two washers for each. I drilled holes into the plastic near the top of the upper compartment (where the clay pebbles live), two to each side. Thread the first nut all the way down the hook, put on a washer, push the threaded side of the hook into the hole, and on the other side, add another washer, and finally another nut. Crank them down a bit so they won't wobble. If you're worried about water leakage , just apply some RTV to seal any gaps and keep the water in where it belongs, cascading over the pebbles rather than to the tent floor.

Here's some photos. First, a view of a single eyehook assembly from the inside of the compartment:

Second, a view of a single eyehook from outside the compartment:

And finally, the tie downs themselves, one end to loop through the eyehook, the other to gently wrap around a cola's stem:

The tie downs are nice and soft and you can cut them to any length you need.

Now when I want to LST, I can tie the colas down to the eyehooks. When it comes time for the weekly nute change, I simply lift out the top compartment, which comes away with the tie downs intact, replace the nutes, then plop the container back in. Viola, easy LST.

Can't wait to give this a try. I'll be planting another set of seeds in the germination station in about a week. My future grow logs will better show how this is all going to work.

i never lifted the top for nute replacement.. i just turned the blue water level tube sideways and drained the bucket.. and added new fresh nutes thru the clay to wash them a little too..
those hooks are useful, thou i just drilled some holes..

and oh, put an airstone to the rez, and thank me later :)

i never lifted the top for nute replacement.. i just turned the blue water level tube sideways and drained the bucket.. and added new fresh nutes thru the clay to wash them a little too

I read somewhere when I first bought my waterfarms that I shouldn't use the tube for draining, just to check the level in the lower container (though the tube gets so gunky it's kind of useless for that). Apparently if you keep moving it, the seal gets unstable and starts leaking.

Plus, it's just quicker for me to pull the top container and rest it in a bucket (to keep water off the floor and keep from crushing the root pad), take the lower one to the sink or toilet and dump the old nutes, do a quick washout of the container, and then pour new nutes and pop the upper container back in.

I do refill a gallon or so between nute changes and pour that through the clay pepples for the wash down.

and oh, put an airstone to the rez, and thank me later :)

Good tip, I did do that in addition to the normal bubbler tube. I ended up getting a four nozzle air pump to be able to do that. It's great for keeping the lower tank nutes oxygenated, and the roots and shoots do love it!

Back
Top Bottom