Moderate Marijuana Dose Can Relieve Pain: Study

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
High Doses Shown to Increase Pain, However

A study suggests that smoking a moderate amount of marijuana may relieve pain, but smoking high doses may increase pain.

"Previous studies have suggested that smoked cannabis increases pain," lead investigator Dr. Mark Wallace of the University of California at San Diego told Reuters.

"This is the first study using a dose-response method that suggests smoked cannabis has a therapeutic window, with moderate doses decreasing pain and high doses increasing pain."

In a group of healthy volunteers, Wallace and colleagues studied the effect of low, medium and high doses of smoked cannabis or placebo on pain induced by injecting capsaicin into the forearm five and 45 minutes after drug exposure.

No dose of cannabis had any effect at five minutes but, by 45 minutes after exposure, there was a significant decrease in pain with the medium dose and a significant increase in pain with the high dose. No such effect was seen with the low dose.

Despite their findings, published in the journal Anesthesiology, the researchers emphasize that no conclusions on the pain-relieving efficacy of smoked cannabis can be made from this study. Further study is needed, they conclude.

Source: Province, The (CN BC)
Copyright: 2007 Reuters

I believe the test is flawed, as there is no control on the strain and potency of the test mj used in the study.
I am of the firm opinion that studies can be fudged, to give a result suitable to the purposes of the researcher. Whether that is a positive or negative spin depends on the subjective observations of the study.
What is their 'therapeutic window' based on? Sativas or indicas. Dank or schwag. See my point.

Back
Top Bottom