420 Magazine Background

Mold during curing - Trash or hash?

Savdout916

New Member
So I had to cut drying short (3 days) due to a family visit. I knew the bud was a bit wet, figured I'd be looking at a slower cure 30-60 days (versus my usual 7-14) so I went ahead and threw them into mason jars. After about 10 days of burping the jars twice a day for about 15-30 minutes I had missed a rotation thinking it would be fine. However, today one of the jars has white fuzz like mold on several nugs. Am I right to think other jars would be infected, visible or not, being they were all treated and stored in the same environment? Should I trash the nugs that are infected and hash the rest? Or trash entire harvest due to a poor cure and lack of drying? I will be using the bubble hash method with several micron bags btw. Thanks for all help and opinion, I really don't want to trash this batch but definitely will as I don't want to smoke/taste mold.
 

Weaselcracker

Nug of the Year: 2016 - Member of the Month: Sept 2015, Nov 2016 - Nug of the Month: Oct 2016 - Plant of the Month: May 2016
You'll hear different opinions and some people are deathly scared of mould for some reason. Personally if I find a touch of mould on a plant I just remove and toss out the mouldy spots and the bud in the immediate surrounding area. Minor mould attacks are easy to remove surgically with no real harm done.
Mould in the jar is a bit tougher as in a contained space like that it usually spreads everywhere pretty fast. But you'll have to be the judge of how bad it is.

Putting aside for a second the issue of whether or not bud rot mould is very dangerous, I've read people saying that mould spores are too large to make it through the filters and end up in bubble hash. I doubt that's true since trichomes are visibly much larger than mould spores.

So is mould dangerous? From what I understand, some forms are dangerous to breathe in when when sporing, but only some, and usually only to people with certain health conditions.
Then there's the question of whether burning and inhaling a mould spore could cause health problems. Seems unlikely.

There are lots of people on the internet who absolutely freak out about this issue and will tell you in strident tones to throw all your bud away. People who actually have any knowledge of the issue are much thinner on the ground, and I don't claim to be one of them. Hopefully one of them will come along here, and not just the other sort of 'expert'.

I did demolition for a year. The guy I worked with has done it for 40 years and he told me that the fear of mould is totally blown out of proportion. But who knows he may have been talking shit- I haven't googled it much and when I have I just found too many hysterical opinions.
Also keep in mind that while we call it all 'mould' there are zillions of different fungi that could fall into this category, so saying that mould is bad is a bit like saying plants are poisonous. I don't know the specifics on bud rot. I do know that I get more than one kind of bud rot form time to time in my grow.

If you want to skip any possible chance of mould spores being in your bud or hash- don't make bubble hash make BHO or Qwiso and that should solve the worry.
 

Savdout916

New Member
Thank you for the respond. I left all bud out the jars over night. Probably should've pulled mold off first because now the nugs affected are less visible. The problem in gonna have now is not knowing if the bud taste bad from a shitty cure or taste bad from mold possibly being on it. I want to scrap but here's the dilemma, I live in the desert so I did a few extra plants this run hoping to shut down for the summer to avoid the 100+ temps and to keep house cool. But I def don't wanna smoke mold all summer. Decisions I'm looking for someone to either talk me off the ledge or give me that slight push. Anymore opinions before I decide these beautiful ladies fate?
 

Weaselcracker

Nug of the Year: 2016 - Member of the Month: Sept 2015, Nov 2016 - Nug of the Month: Oct 2016 - Plant of the Month: May 2016
I want to scrap but here's the dilemma, I live in the desert so I did a few extra plants this run hoping to shut down for the summer to avoid the 100+ temps and to keep house cool.
I didn't get that part about what the dilemma is and what you are actually asking re the extra plants and keeping the house cool. Whether to throw it all away or not?
Why not just research a bit more about mould.
Is your bud mouldy or not mouldy? If it isn't then perhaps don't worry about it. If you don't see any mould but don't want to smoke it anyway- then make it into oil or some other concentrate.
 

Savdout916

New Member
I def know the bud has mold on it. Im just wondering if all the bud is bad (nugs without signs of mold). Ill throw up some pics
 

Weaselcracker

Nug of the Year: 2016 - Member of the Month: Sept 2015, Nov 2016 - Nug of the Month: Oct 2016 - Plant of the Month: May 2016
You will be able to see whether there is mould or not. It is visible.
Spores aren't so visible. Mould isn't always sporing. It doesn't get to that stage immediately after it takes hold. Left to grow for a couple days so that it matures a bit- and you will see the spores puff up like smoke when you touch the bud.
Spores are the part of mould that present the possible health problem.
In huge amounts they can cause flu like symptoms in people with seriously compromised immune systems.
Mould is absolutely everywhere. You are inhaling it every day of your life just walking around. The question is how much.

The other issue is the invisible 'ick' factor, in case you have a mould phobia.

It's really going to end up being your personal choice re whether to smoke the stuff. Personally I'd make it into qwiso or some other type of concentrate.
 

doobie57z

New Member
yeah, i personally would separate any suspicious flowers, and just carry on with the plan, stay the course and all that shit. when you have it dried where you want it, then decide how it looks. Im 59, can you imagine how much mold and shit ive smoked since 1970? I remember shaking out seeds on an album cover and there rat shit in there too ...rat shit weed...amonia weed, the struggle is real......
 

Dwight Monk

420 Support
420 Staff
yeah, i personally would separate any suspicious flowers, and just carry on with the plan, stay the course and all that shit. when you have it dried where you want it, then decide how it looks. Im 59, can you imagine how much mold and shit ive smoked since 1970? I remember shaking out seeds on an album cover and there rat shit in there too ...rat shit weed...amonia weed, the struggle is real......
the good old days ;) :19::19: pull pieces of old barn wood, rusty nails and rocks and other crap out of a 1/4lb.....have stuff so compacted you had to steam it to get it to come apart and fluff up as nobody would buy a 1 finger bag that weighed an oz....along with stuff that got compacted wet as you were talking about that looked and smelled way wrong...all the crud that was only available when green bud was out of season, as you could only find it certain times of the year and the rest it was Mexican/Jamaican/other imported stuff.

Back on topic, it is really your call on what you are comfortable with, as stated kinda varies on ones immune system along with the fact that there is many schools of thought on it like everything in life. As the combustion IMHO will kill quite a few things as most bugs/viruses can't live to those kind of temps, it is a lot different than ripping up old moldy house parts and having that crap fly around in the air and get into your lungs that way (along with asbestos or lead paint in older places).
Do you have one of those small humidity/temp gauges? As it can help you judge when it really needs to stay out of the jar for hours/day to get the humidity down to where it won't mold on you while curing (albeit as long as no budrot before it was chopped).
 
Top Bottom