Mold

vintner

I've been harvesting my plants a bit at a time as they have matured from the tops down. It's been really warm, rainy and humid here lately, and when I went to harvest the bottoms of my last 2 plants, there was a fluffy white mold on small sections of one of them.
Can I salvage any of this bud? Should I try to scrape off as much of the mold as I can, trash anything that has mold on it, or just not worry about it and dry/cure it as I normally would?
Thanks for any help.
Vin

Different people have different opinions on this.
I know some people that don't think twice of smoking mouldy buds.

My opinion?
You don't eat a loaf of bread covered in mould, do you?
So mouldy buds are also something to steer clear of. You could use it to make oil if you wanted, or just toss it and count it as a learning experience.

I live in a humid environment too (and hot... it's 30 C outside right now) and understand your pain. The best thing I can offer you is to look into better ventilation, or just don't grow during the hottest and humid months.

Good luck :D

better safe, than sorry, and humans can be infected with mold in the sinus's so I wouldn't take the chance..cut the infected bud out, and harvest the rest 100% mature or not..enjoy some early bud, gives a nice "up" high anyway.

As for prevention, make sure when you are close to harvesting the plant you open it up by trimming most of the leaves, so that air can work its way into the dense Bud..that will help, or a small fan blowing on the plant..

Scraping the mold will not work. The hyphae or roots of the mold extend beyond what you can see on the surface. I would just cut my losses if I were you and get rid of the moldly stuff to spare the rest of my harvest and other plants. Also, clean your grow room throughly with a dis-infectent to prevent furthur mold propagation.

It might prolly be cobweb mold. If it is, you might try rubbin with a hydrogen peroxide/ water mix lightly around area-It usually stopped the spread or cleared up the problem alot of the time in my case scenerio. I havent tried this method on plants.

Hey everyone: thanks so much for the timely and informative responces. Folks on this site are still the best man. I'm gonna take everyones advice and not smoke the moldy stuff. There aint that much of it anyway. Could I use the moldy stuff to make hash? I'm not to big on cooking w/mj, makes the whole house smell like the stuff, and my wife would have a fit.
Thanks again gang.
Vin

RooRman said:
Scraping the mold will not work. The hyphae or roots of the mold extend beyond what you can see on the surface. I would just cut my losses if I were you and get rid of the moldly stuff to spare the rest of my harvest and other plants. Also, clean your grow room throughly with a dis-infectent to prevent furthur mold propagation.
RooRman is correct. And disinfecting means all walls, sheets, curtains, draperies still in room......mold doesn't sleep it's like airborne rust, a bleach wipe over ALL hard surfaces, and laundering the soft goods. In fact clip that moldy bud right into a plastic bag under the plant and then seal it before you go walking round the house with it......good luck:cheesygrinsmiley:

vintner said:
Hey everyone: thanks so much for the timely and informative responces. Folks on this site are still the best man. I'm gonna take everyones advice and not smoke the moldy stuff. There aint that much of it anyway. Could I use the moldy stuff to make hash? I'm not to big on cooking w/mj, makes the whole house smell like the stuff, and my wife would have a fit.
Thanks again gang.
Vin

It's makin honey oil hash with butane!:cheesygrinsmiley:

I smoke weed from brownswag to the greenest trees but I throw away moldy shit. Only live once and I would hate to get sick from smoking the good stuff.

Back
Top Bottom