Mondstern's First Official Attempt - Outdoor/Indoor Hybrid Environment - Newbie 2016

Mondstern

What strain is it?
1*Auto (previous ongoing grow, did not tag, could be Lemon OG Haze, OG Kush or Bubblelicious) (Nirvana), 1*AK48 fem (Nirvana), 1*Lithium OG Kush fem (Nirvana), 1*Misty Kush fem (Nirvana), 1*Master Kush fem (Nirvana), 1*Haze x Kali China fem (ACE)

Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid?
What percentages? As far as I could remember, Nirvana ones are hybrid and lean more to Indica, while the HxKC is more sativa

Is it in Veg or Flower stage?
Auto is flowering perhaps for 1 more month, the rest are right now in their 3rd week since germination

If in Veg... For how long?
Auto sprouted in March, the rest sprouted 1st week of June

If in Flower stage... For how long?
The Auto has been in flower for almost a month maybe. I did not keep track very well, but this batch I am tracking everything

Indoor or outdoor?
Outdoor with extra indoor touch for more control

Soil or Hydro?
Soil

If soil... what is in your mix?
60% Sterile Organic Soil, 30% Compost, 10% Hi Brix amendment (at least from what I have been reading and collecting). Also added plenty of Mychorrizae 4-5 inches below as the soil was put into the pot

If soil... What size pot?
The pot is a 25L plastic planter bag one, but it is not totally full, so I guess 20 something L total soil in the pot

Size of light?
Sunlight plus extra 36W DIY LED and just added a 135W 5500K CFL. On progress to be added: 2*10W Grow LED bulbs, 1*80W Grow LED Bulb, and 1*25W White LED (the one that looks like a CFL)

Is it aircooled?
Nope, it is under an open housing with half walls

Temp of Room/cab?
During the day temp could go as high as 36 deg C, at night it goes down to around 27 deg C

RH of Room/cab?
Where I live is always humid. low is 63% and max at 93%.

PH of media or res?
Just right, water is always 7 because it is from a res and it is a ground water anyway.

Any Pests ?
Rat, hence the wiremesh cages installation

How often are you watering?
Once a week @4 L for the flowering auto, but less for the young plants, around 1.5-2L a week right now

Type and strength of ferts used?
Seaweed extract, half strong because I always mix the mixture with same amount of water to dillute more just to be safe. The soil is very rich anyway, so it is just because the ferts contain microbes and extra growth hormones.

I have been reading alot of this forum and ----- and some more. I have been lurking around unregistered since beginning of this year. So much reading has been done. So I have been reading some prominent growers like Doc Bud, Conradino, Bapple and some more. Inspiring grow they all have.

Looking back I have been trying to grow since end of last year, but I failed due to being unprepared. I think I already wasted so many seeds I lost count. I think almost 30 seeds haha. Main reason is that I was not ready and reading up alot did help me to some extend but I was still trying to figure things out. Where I am located, it is really hard to find good spot but now that I have the perfect spot, and things are going well, I am ready to start a journal.

I had little knowledge on growing plants. Typical gardening is easy where I am. Things just grow. But when there is expected results, I found out and learned that lots of effort need to be thrown in. From pots, to soil, to lighting, to nutes and my biggest adversary: pests, particularly rats. I also had some encounters with molds and mites etc since I tried growing in my garden at home. Those other flowers and plants really just survive all the snails, mites, rats I dont know how. Wow I have learned so much from this forum alone reading all the other pros growing their favourite strains.

So here goes. This current batch consists of an Auto that survived my reckless previous grow currently flowering, a Lithium OG Kush, AK48, Misty Kush and Master Kush from Nirvana and the last one is Haze x Kali China from ACE. The last 5 are still in seedling phase.

For pots, I found out too late about fabric pots, so I'm currently using planter bag. It has some holes, but obviously not as breathable as fabric pots. For location, my grow site is located on my rooftop along with giant water res and its pump since my house uses ground water. The site is semi open, so the sunlight is quite plenty, but it is also quite nicely half covered and since it is located on 4th level of my house, no one has clear view on the site. Thankfully my family has been thinking that I am on to a new hobby and the garden has too much pests so they have been leaving me be with my hobby. No one ever comes to my site, except, if the pump is broken, then that would be a hassle as I'd have to move all 6 pots and hide them.

For soil, I read that hi brix is awesome, so I tried mixing my own. My soil setup consists of mostly organic soil, with perlite, compost, hi brix amendment added to it. For extra lighting I currently have cheap DIY 36w (18 red 18 blue 1w LEDs)grow LED, 1 135w CFL 5500k, on progress are 2 cheap grow led bulbs @10w each, 80w grow led bulb and a 25w white LED. The latter are not yet installed since they are still on the way. I said extra lighting because it is meant to add light regiment, so to prolong the light duration to make it 20 hrs as the sunlight is 6am to 6pm with some cloudy days and due to the site facing east, direct sunlight is somewhat less after midday due to the wall covering the west end, but surely still enough light overall. Facing north would have been better for full sunlight coverage, but well what can you do haha. Has anyone ever done this semi Indoor/Outdoor mix? Is it going to be successful?

I will post pics later. The auto is nearing its flowering end. I did not properly tag my previous reckless attempt as I was being very cheap. All I know it could be a Lemon OG Haze, OG Kush or Bubblelicious. I did some LST, but this plant is really small, and there are no multiple colas. Just the main one running from top through main stem. Hopefully the smoke is going to be good, that is all I ask from this Auto. I treated it harshly back in March when I started, as it was not started at this location before, and I put too much nutes and overwatered it too haha. So all hopes are on the new batch. The new ones are not auto, so I have full control when to switch.

A bit of story on the new batch, the HxKC survived rats attack. I already experienced alot of them and that's why I have wiremesh cages on top of my plants. But I was being naive with the new site, so I left them open, and then another batch of seedlings lost (LiOGK, MiK, MaK and AK48). Rats gnawed on them and I found only the rest of the stem coming short out of the soil. But the HxKC did not get attacked at all. So, I always germinate directly and so far 100% germination rate. HxKC germinated End of May and sprouted June 1st. The rest planted right after I found out the previous ones were goners. So June 2nd, replanted, sprouted June 5th or 6th and the MaK got some difficulties coming out, helped it and it officially sprouted June 7th.

Pics taken during night time so LED was on.
420-magazine-mobile1372422735.jpg

420-magazine-mobile927683061.jpg

420-magazine-mobile172921614.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1037500615.jpg

420-magazine-mobile709163933.jpg

420-magazine-mobile518389510.jpg

More pictures I will post tomorrow. Lots of them. Hope you have enjoyed the long read haha.

Re: Mondstern's First Official Attempt - Outdoor Indoor Hybrid Environment- Newbie 20

So the two new 10W grow led bulbs arrived and I took alot of pics even tho it is at night. The 135W CFL does a great job illuminating the whole place.
420-magazine-mobile2062445667.jpg

The whole setup

420-magazine-mobile1905752147.jpg

The lamps

420-magazine-mobile1651259394.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1626627597.jpg

The 2 half wall sides, the other 2 sides are the big reservoirs and then solid wall

420-magazine-mobile1264859963.jpg

1 bucket of water 3-4L and the other 2 are mixtures of water and seaweed extract. The watering jug is filled with normal water as well

420-magazine-mobile1532097679.jpg

420-magazine-mobile586120119.jpg

Growing Apple Mint and Zinnia to deter rats or if they want some they may consume em instead haha

Now onto the ladies
420-magazine-mobile1458635081.jpg

The flowering Auto

420-magazine-mobile1521447261.jpg

LiOGK showing some weird new growth, but i dont think it is a problem

420-magazine-mobile597824264.jpg

HxKC

420-magazine-mobile2068784664.jpg

AK48, a bit tilted, but already supported with its own plant tag

420-magazine-mobile2026137565.jpg

Misty Kush

420-magazine-mobile1359834543.jpg

Master Kush, the late one

420-magazine-mobile398716151.jpg

My DIY 36W grow LED. That hood reflector was a pain to make myself. Sewing reflector onto the wiremesh leftover

That is all, folks.
Watering is scheduled this Sunday, but depends on soil moisture, if it is okay, gonna water midweek or even next weekend instead.

Re: Mondstern's First Official Attempt - Outdoor Indoor Hybrid Environment- Newbie 20

Yep. Lights on at night as well as during daylight. So basically I light them as if it were indoor, matched with the daylight, so currently they are on 21hrs light, so lights on from 10pm to 7pm. Sun typically shines around 6am till around 6pm.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Rats. They're a wicked pest to stay ahead of. They can chew through galvanized steel, so good luck with the cages, which, incidentally, were a great idea. :high-five:

I'll do my best to keep up with your journal Mondstern. It's not often we get one in the Pacific. That kinda makes you a keeper. :battingeyelashes: :love:

Yes Sweetsue, I rarely see any one from equatorial zone posting here.

Yes, these rats were a pain. My heart almost stopped finding them young plants chopped. All 4 of them at the same time. Talking about the rage with no one to actually punch hahahaha.

Thanks for the visit, blulezard and SweetSue. I will be back in a week for update. For now I will just sit around my ladies, watch them and maybe converse a little with them. Haha.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Yeah, alot of hardwork has gone into this setup.

I'm planning to add more light to this setup since it has been cloudy. I am going to add a Philips ecotone high lumen spiral 65W. Gonna place it somewhere between MiK and MaK and LiOGK. Cant wait for it to arrive. Will post pictures perhaps end of this week or some time midweek. The weather has been cloudy so not much of sunlight these few days.

I have a question I have not found the answer to: if you move pots around and the soil cracks, what do you do? Sometimes it makes me wanna sprinkle it with water to let it saturate and close the crack. I bet somebody has experienced the same thing.

Another question would be at my current situation with the high humidity and rather hot temp, is there going to be a problem? I read somewhere that too high of temp could stunt the growth? Daytime it could get as high as 35 deg C and nighttime it only goes as low as 27 deg C. Humidity ranges around 63% to 90%, it is a humid region anyway. Please enlighten me, fellow 420ers.

When I see crack form in my pots soil. I will squeeze the pots to make more cracks or I'll use my old soil ph meter probe and "aerate" the soil, by making dozens of holes to loosen up the soil entirely. This way when I water it doesn't go only in the cracks and it allows for the soil to dry faster. This is only my opinion and my way of doing it... It may be detrimental, I've got no real facts, just my own instincts.

KiG :green_heart:cheers

Hey Mondstern! We are 2 in the pacific that i know now Hehe!

I've heard that a too high temperature is not really loved by your plants but some people told me that outdoors you still have winds to cold the plants even with high temperature. i don't know if its right or not but for sure under great sunlight you can easily reach 40 °C and the plant will still love it. Humidity is going to be a real problem if your flowering period is during the raining season.

For the rats good luck especially if you are surrounded with bush. They are a few cool things you could do like filling a reservoir of water and put fruits in there, they are going to try to reach the fruit possibly fall in it and drown. Try chimicals but it will work for a short time.

Cheers

I use to live above the 26 parallel, and the humidity was always bad. The biggest risk to your girls is mould in the buds or on the leaves. Great air flow is the key, and try not to spray anything on the heads or allow rain to dampen them, when they are in the final 3 weeks. This should prevent these issues from arising. :Namaste:

Welcome aboard, Snidrajsed, smokewitme, blulezard and IamLoony. Thanks for the inputs.

Great to know there is one other guy who also grows in the equatorial zone, blulezard.

When I see crack form in my pots soil. I will squeeze the pots to make more cracks or I'll use my old soil ph meter probe and "aerate" the soil, by making dozens of holes to loosen up the soil entirely. This way when I water it doesn't go only in the cracks and it allows for the soil to dry faster. This is only my opinion and my way of doing it... It may be detrimental, I've got no real facts, just my own instincts.

KiG :green_heart:cheers

Alrite. I did as you said. Obviously no problem at all hehe.

tagging along would love to see how this turns out, im fairly new to growing but ill help where i can :tokin:

Welcome onboard, smoke!

Hey Mondstern! We are 2 in the pacific that i know now Hehe!

I've heard that a too high temperature is not really loved by your plants but some people told me that outdoors you still have winds to cold the plants even with high temperature. i don't know if its right or not but for sure under great sunlight you can easily reach 40 °C and the plant will still love it. Humidity is going to be a real problem if your flowering period is during the raining season.

For the rats good luck especially if you are surrounded with bush. They are a few cool things you could do like filling a reservoir of water and put fruits in there, they are going to try to reach the fruit possibly fall in it and drown. Try chimicals but it will work for a short time.

Cheers

Yeah, that is why I planted them Zinnias and Mints. I read it could help. I also as you can see installed fences along my ladies, although I really do prefer them to be not behind bars haha. Perhaps as they get bigger I will let them off the bars and put up other defences, maybe traps and hopefully the other plants will actually deter them. I wanna grow them wide and not vertical or maybe both, so having these fences are not optimal for my plan. We will see what I am gonna do in few weeks time.
As for humidity, I already ordered a fan to be operated in the site and drive the wind around as to lower the humidity a bit and provide some wind to accelerate their growth. The fan is not too small and not too big, just the right size with its propeller's length being 12inch long. It should be enough to drive the air movement in the site. It is only a 1.5x1.5m site anyway.

I use to live above the 26 parallel, and the humidity was always bad. The biggest risk to your girls is mould in the buds or on the leaves. Great air flow is the key, and try not to spray anything on the heads or allow rain to dampen them, when they are in the final 3 weeks. This should prevent these issues from arising. :Namaste:

I think it is safe to say there is no clear season anymore these days. These past 2 years at least the weather has been as if it was monsoon season. Rain could fall quite alot for 3 days and then it's dry spell for a week and so on. But with the new fan, I guess I can kinda forget the humidity problem.

I am planning to add more lights so the setup in the end will be as follows:
36W DIY LED 18*1W Blue 18*1W Red Epistar chips (currently operational)
135W CFL 5500K (currently operational)
2*10W El Cheapo LED Grow Light Bulb beaming at 1 plant each (currently operational)
2*14W Philips Consumer Light Warm White LED 2700K (this week to be operational)
2*18W Philips Consumer Light Daylight LED 6500K (this week to be operational)
65W Philips Ecotone High Lumen CFL 6500K (this week to be operational)
80W Grow LED Bulb (arriving July)
25W CroLED White LED 6500K (Arriving July)

Hopefully it is gonna be enough light when the sun could not perform haha.

So, the Philips Ecotone High Lumen 65W 6500k and the fan arrived. Hopefully will help humidity and temp of my site and also accelerate stem strenght, leaves and buds growth. Pics below.
420-magazine-mobile1814016558.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1901797859.jpg

Where the fan sits
420-magazine-mobile891579601.jpg

MiK doing well
420-magazine-mobile601680160.jpg

MaK doing well. Is it normal for the cotyledon leaves to wither like that?
420-magazine-mobile1536703932.jpg

HxKC. She dances alot due to being the closest to the fan. I wonder if it will show different progress compared to the rest
420-magazine-mobile362105963.jpg

LiOGK still with her weird growth with 3 leave set instead of 4. Shes doing okay tho.
420-magazine-mobile1931580921.jpg

AK48 still tilted. She needs the wind the most because of that, hopefully she will straighten up herself in the near future haha
420-magazine-mobile1735266718.jpg

Auto doing fine as well. Too much light i guess? Tips are a bit yellow. Or should I not give her so much nutes? I dont think Ive been giving too much tho. Each watering has been less nutes per L since I dillute it.
420-magazine-mobile336517400.jpg

This is how everything looks like once again. I love them blue red beams from my DIY Grow LED Panel.

Thats all, folks! :)

Hey buddy, take a look at what the fellas from "Mendo Dope" can do with outdoor grows on YouTube. We are talking about trees rather than plants. :) Those cages can be used to your advantage if the holes were larger. Guess it wouldn't help with the rats thou. I'd set some rat cages up for them suckers. Apart from that, your set up looks awesome. Hope the girls continue to delight you.

Hi Loony, I saw the youtube video yesterday, not yet finished, already halfway through part 2. Sick duo these guys are and showed me their steps very clearly. Thank you for the info. Although I wont be able to replicate what they did in the vid, but gave me more insight. I think now that my excitement has gone down, the ladies will actually be taken care better as a result. Haha. Definitely no more overwatering, fences have done their part too...so there goes my pest attack anxiety as well. Thanks and welcome to my journal, Loony.

Re: Mondstern's First Official Attempt - Outdoor/Indoor Hybrid Environment - Newbie 2

IMG_20160624_012821.jpg

Took out the 135W 5500K CFL as it seems to cause burn tips even though it was not that close. I did it because after observing what the 65W Philips Ecotone High Lumen did to the other plants it was illuminating (the plants turning to that lamp and seem to enjoy it), I decided that the 135W simply sucks maybe because of its quality.
I also took out 1 cheapo 10W Grow LED.
I then added 3 more lamps using Y fittings and extenders. They are 14W 3000K White LED bulb and 9W 6500K White LED bulb and the cheap 10W Grow LED. So there they are in the photo. Now I am satisfied with the artificial light, I am gonna sit back and relax. During daylight the plants get the artificial light plus some direct sunlight, and during night the artificial light should do more than enough to light the plants.

IMG_20160624_012832.jpg

I will post the ladies progress end of this week after watering session. or maybe midweek next week. It depends.

Re: Mondstern's First Official Attempt - Outdoor/Indoor Hybrid Environment - Newbie 2

O yeah. Thanks blulezard. It almost sounds like LST isn't it? Thx mate!

Sent from my E5803 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Back
Top Bottom