Montel To Urge N.J. On Medical Marijuana

XLE420

Television personality Montel Williams plans to tell a New Jersey senate panel on Thursday how marijuana relieves his chronic pain caused by multiple sclerosis, and urge New Jersey lawmakers to enact medical marijuana laws, as 11 other states already have.

Williams, 49, who was diagnosed with MS seven years ago, said he turned to marijuana to relieve debilitating knee and foot pain after trying Oxycontin and a variety of other drugs to no avail.

Williams, a registered medical marijuana user in California, said he became an activist pushing for medical marijuana laws after being stopped at a Detroit airport by an Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms officer for carrying drug paraphernalia. The charge was later dropped.

"For me, marijuana eases the pain in my feet - on a scale of 1 to 10, brings it from a 6 down to a 4 and keeps it there - makes it manageable so I can deal with the rest of my day," said Williams. "Why should it not be available?"

Williams also plans to speak Wednesday at a Drug Policy Alliance-sponsored news conference supporting the New Jersey Compassionate Use Medical Marijuana Act. He said he was also hoping to discuss the issue with Gov. Jon S. Corzine, though the governor's office said as of Tuesday Williams hadn't requested a meeting.

Corzine said last year that he would sign a medical marijuana bill into law.

Reiterating the administration's position Tuesday, Corzine spokesman Anthony Coley said, "All individuals should receive the best possible medical care available. If a doctor prescribes medical marijuana, we should honor his or her judgment and do what is in the best interest of the patient."

The proposal would allow certain chronically ill patients to use marijuana medicinally by smoking it, eating it or taking it in tablets. The drug would be prescribed by a doctor and the program would be monitored by the state Health Department. Under the proposal, the amount of marijuana a patient would be allowed to possess would be capped at one ounce and patients would be issued cards identifying them as registered medical marijuana users.

The bill, sponsored by state Sen. Nicholas Scutari, lists cancer, glaucoma, HIV and AIDS, wasting syndrome, chronic pain, severe nausea, seizures and persistent muscle spasms as among the conditions eligible for medical marijuana usage.

Terrence P. Farley, an Ocean County assistant prosecutor and spokesman for two state law enforcement groups, told The Associated Press last month that the bill is a veiled attempt to legalize drugs.

"This is how they're trying to get marijuana legalized," said Farley, who also is director of the county anti-narcotics force.

Newshawk: SX420 - 420 Magazine
Source: The Mercury News
Author: Angela Delli Santi, Associated Press
Copyright: Mercury News
Website: MercuryNews.com : Bay Area news, technology, jobs, cars & real estate

yeah hes a well educated man who clearly has no problem putting issues into words and solving them. One more on our side and I wish him the best of luck!

Montel Williams is to be congratulated on his forthright ability to tell his side of the story, and share his personal experiences,strengths and hopes. One of our best and longest friends "C.B." who has since passed on from MS, would not have made it as long as he did without the help of Cannabis. I personally have eased the pains as my Left Arm and Foot, that were and have been ripped in half and re built and reattached.. 5 years of Vioxx, Bextra, Celebrex,& Vicodins occasionally, On 01.25.04 after my last foot Surgery, I made an informed decision with my 2 Doctors, to try Marijauna to help releive the Pain Factors that I suffer from from a constant 6-9 at times on a scale 10. Since that day, I have no more Ill side effects from the Vioxx, or Bextra, I am not a raging idiot to my wife and friends, I do not have to worry about Vioxx damaging my heart anymore. The heaves and sweats, the Protonix to combat the side effects from the Vioxx & Bextra. But hey they WERE Legal and sanctified by the FDA. Well Mr & Mrs.FDA, Thanks a lot for approving those drugs mentioned that have fucked up a lot of people. I think the Lawsuits and the awards have spoken for the people, re: Vioxx & Bextra.
I have never known anyone in the last 37 years that have died from Marijuana or had the side effects that I have personally gone thru with the other above mentioned drugs.
I am glad that I live in Hawaii where the Medical Marijauna laws were enacted from our own Governing body. AS a Business Owner I also look at the Costs associated with how much my Insurance Company paid out for 5 years of Vioxx, Bextra, Celebrex, & Protonix, over $21,000. This inevitably went against my bottom line as Insurance Premiums were raised.
Thanks Montel.
Aloha & A Hui Ho
Southern Lights

Back
Top Bottom