Moon Juice! A simple Cannabis infusion method

I make my cocobudder in a crockpot that I plug into a variac so I can crank up the voltage and get higher temps out of the crockpot. I just pass the very dry bud thru a 2mm screen, (same mesh as window screen), and add it to the oil in the crockpot. At about 235F the pot starts to decarb and bubbles rise to the surface. I keep raising the temp slowly and by the time I get to 260 the bubbling is done.

I have one of those mini crockpots for up to 250ml batches and a big one that can do 2500ml. Did a 1L batch so far with the big one but have done 5 or 6 with the mini. Thrift stores are great sources for cheap and often near new crockpots.

Your method is a good one @TopCola but you could just skip the dry decarb and put the pot in the jar with the oil. Then for sure all the terpenes etc are captured in the oil for a truly whole plant product. A more open container like a ceramic bowl sitting in a larger casserole dish would make it easy to stick a spoon in there and stir it up every 15 min or so. Good idea to have an accurate thermometer to check the actual temp of the oil as ovens can be off by quite a bit. The cookie sheet under on the other rack is a bit redundant but certainly won't hurt.

I make my batches by weight and mostly at 20:1 so it's easier to dose with. I made some at 10:1 and a tsp near put me in a coma. Way the hell past Pluto! :D

For a 20:1 with 10g of bud I'll weigh out 180g of coconut oil, cook it all up and let it cool to 212 or below then add 20ml of sunflower lecithin as it's supposed to help the medicine absorb easier. Then I'll let it cool to around 140 and leave that sit overnight, give it a good stir and pour it through a fine kitchen strainer into a clean mason jar. Keep it somewhere warm so the oil remains liquid for at least 24 hours and all the fine sediment settles to the bottom and the oil is, or should be, a deep dark golden brown. When it cools it may be green as grass. You can carefully decant the oil into another jar to get rid of the sediment if you want.

The oil tastes fine to me right off a spoon or I drizzle it onto a cookie, smear plain coconut oil on like icing, cover with Ceylonese cinnamon, shake off excess and non-nom.

If caps are better for you then make it as a 10:1 batch so you don't have to take so many caps to get a full dose. 1tsp = 5 or 6 OO caps. Get a big syringe from the drug store, feed store or health food store to make it easier to fill the caps. A Cap-M-Quik capsule holder holds 50 at a time and aren't much. I got one for filling caps with turmeric and other things. Order bulk bags of caps online too as they cost way too much in the stores. I got a 1lb bag of 00 caps for $80 and that's over 6000 caps. Don't use veggie caps as the oil will melt them. A little gelatin won't hurt you and your hair and nails will love you. :)

May experiment with different flavourings but I like it fine as it is. The best way to consume your medicine ever!

:peace:

I make my cocobudder in a crockpot that I plug into a variac so I can crank up the voltage and get higher temps out of the crockpot. I just pass the very dry bud thru a 2mm screen, (same mesh as window screen), and add it to the oil in the crockpot. At about 235F the pot starts to decarb and bubbles rise to the surface. I keep raising the temp slowly and by the time I get to 260 the bubbling is done.

I have one of those mini crockpots for up to 250ml batches and a big one that can do 2500ml. Did a 1L batch so far with the big one but have done 5 or 6 with the mini. Thrift stores are great sources for cheap and often near new crockpots.

Your method is a good one @TopCola but you could just skip the dry decarb and put the pot in the jar with the oil. Then for sure all the terpenes etc are captured in the oil for a truly whole plant product. A more open container like a ceramic bowl sitting in a larger casserole dish would make it easy to stick a spoon in there and stir it up every 15 min or so. Good idea to have an accurate thermometer to check the actual temp of the oil as ovens can be off by quite a bit. The cookie sheet under on the other rack is a bit redundant but certainly won't hurt.

I make my batches by weight and mostly at 20:1 so it's easier to dose with. I made some at 10:1 and a tsp near put me in a coma. Way the hell past Pluto! :D

For a 20:1 with 10g of bud I'll weigh out 180g of coconut oil, cook it all up and let it cool to 212 or below then add 20ml of sunflower lecithin as it's supposed to help the medicine absorb easier. Then I'll let it cool to around 140 and leave that sit overnight, give it a good stir and pour it through a fine kitchen strainer into a clean mason jar. Keep it somewhere warm so the oil remains liquid for at least 24 hours and all the fine sediment settles to the bottom and the oil is, or should be, a deep dark golden brown. When it cools it may be green as grass. You can carefully decant the oil into another jar to get rid of the sediment if you want.

The oil tastes fine to me right off a spoon or I drizzle it onto a cookie, smear plain coconut oil on like icing, cover with Ceylonese cinnamon, shake off excess and non-nom.

If caps are better for you then make it as a 10:1 batch so you don't have to take so many caps to get a full dose. 1tsp = 5 or 6 OO caps. Get a big syringe from the drug store, feed store or health food store to make it easier to fill the caps. A Cap-M-Quik capsule holder holds 50 at a time and aren't much. I got one for filling caps with turmeric and other things. Order bulk bags of caps online too as they cost way too much in the stores. I got a 1lb bag of 00 caps for $80 and that's over 6000 caps. Don't use veggie caps as the oil will melt them. A little gelatin won't hurt you and your hair and nails will love you. :)

May experiment with different flavourings but I like it fine as it is. The best way to consume your medicine ever!

:peace:

This was so invaluable I'll have to blog it. I could dry lo and slow and then process into oil in a crock pot to get the equivalent of a fresh harvest infused oil. Now I'm really starting to get excited.

Thank you OldMedUser. :hug: :love:

Beach bum Cindy, that oil should work fine. I would recommend using the largest pill size you can. Oldmeduser posted some great information about purchasing them. I have never done the capsule thing, but I have seen plastic trays made for holding the caps while filling. I'm sure you could find them on eBay or amazon for a good price.

Oldmeduser, that was a great post, thanks for sharing your method and the advice. I am going to try skipping the dry decarb like you said. After reading your method and sweet sues method it seems like it's a way better way to ensure 100% decarb. I will also start noting the weight ratio of cannabis to oil. How long does your process take? Also if you left it at 235F could you get a full decarb with your method? Or does the temperature have to reach 260 to fully decarb?

I'm afraid of the crockpot because of the smell. How bad is it when done with crockpot? The last cannibis I bought is soooo stinky when vaped, I can't imagine how bad it will be with a crockpot.

That sounds really tasty!! I just tasted the coconut oil I bought a couple of days ago and it tasted to good. At first, the texture really freaked me out. It was at room temperature. I used it before an edible and it seemed to help.

If caps are better for you then make it as a 10:1 batch so you don't have to take so many caps to get a full dose. 1tsp = 5 or 6 OO caps. Get a big syringe from the drug store, feed store or health food store to make it easier to fill the caps. A Cap-M-Quik capsule holder holds 50 at a time and aren't much. I got one for filling caps with turmeric and other things. Order bulk bags of caps online too as they cost way too much in the stores. I got a 1lb bag of 00 caps for $80 and that's over 6000 caps. Don't use veggie caps as the oil will melt them. A little gelatin won't hurt you and your hair and nails will love you.

Thank you for sharing your knowlege! :circle-of-love:

This was so invaluable I'll have to blog it. I could dry lo and slow and then process into oil in a crock pot to get the equivalent of a fresh harvest infused oil. Now I'm really starting to get excited.

Thank you OldMedUser. :hug: :love:

Glad you liked it. :love:

I'm making a batch with hi-CBD pot for a friend that got it from an LP right now but after reading some info on blog by a lady, BadKittySmiles, that has all sorts of recipes using coconut oil which she says is the best oil to use I've added the sunflower lecithin at the beginning and will keep the temp in the 235 -240 range rather than go up to 260. I'm also reducing the amount of time to an hour after I figure the decarb is done as keeping it hot longer seems to break down the cannabinoids more.

There's explanations there about how the lecithin encapsulates the THC and other cannabinoids to make it liposomal for faster and more complete absorption especially for people with intestinal problems. Her procedure is different with some oven decarb of the pot that I believe is unnecessary and a few more steps involving freezing etc. Lots there so you all should check it out.

:peacetwo:

I'm afraid of the crockpot because of the smell. How bad is it when done with crockpot? The last cannibis I bought is soooo stinky when vaped, I can't imagine how bad it will be with a crockpot.

That sounds really tasty!! I just tasted the coconut oil I bought a couple of days ago and it tasted to good. At first, the texture really freaked me out. It was at room temperature. I used it before an edible and it seemed to help.

Thank you for sharing your knowlege! :circle-of-love:

There's really not much odor with the crock pot. Most of the odor causing molecules are captured in the oil instead of escaping into the air like what happens when pot is decarbed in the oven or vaped. That stink is medicine wafting away instead of being inside you where it can do it's work. When sealed in tinfoil before oven decarbing a lot is returned to the pot if left to cool to room temp before opening the foil pack. Stinks a lot less too.

I eat a big spoonful of coconut oil if I'm feeling chilly or want a boost of energy. It's great stuff and I try to get 50 - 80ml/day for my tired old brain. After my little stoke a few years ago the doc wanted me to take those small dose aspirin twice a day but healthy fats like coconut oil and real butter are much better and it also helps prevent Alzheimer's and dementia. I finally made contact with my birth family about 3 years ago and found out my birth mom died of demetia at 75 after 10 years of decline. I'm 62 now and I'd rather burn up in a fire than succumb to that horrible end. When I make a sandwich I use coconut oil on one slice of bread and butter on the other. Fry my eggs and pancakes with it too.

On warm days the oil will melt and solidify when it gets cooler but don't worry that won't hurt it at all as it won't go rancid like butter will. Great for your skin and makes an excellent personal lubricant as well.
:winkyface:

Beach bum Cindy, that oil should work fine. I would recommend using the largest pill size you can. Oldmeduser posted some great information about purchasing them. I have never done the capsule thing, but I have seen plastic trays made for holding the caps while filling. I'm sure you could find them on eBay or amazon for a good price.

Oldmeduser, that was a great post, thanks for sharing your method and the advice. I am going to try skipping the dry decarb like you said. After reading your method and sweet sues method it seems like it's a way better way to ensure 100% decarb. I will also start noting the weight ratio of cannabis to oil. How long does your process take? Also if you left it at 235F could you get a full decarb with your method? Or does the temperature have to reach 260 to fully decarb?

Like I said in my reply to Sue I'm going to keep the temp down to no more than 240F/116C then turn the heat down to around 150/66C for an hour then strain into a jar.

I'm doing a batch right now and have the heat at 100C for a while, stirring well every 10 min or so to make sure I get a good extraction then turning up the heat slowly until I get bubbles happening the turn it down once I'm sure it has stopped bubbling completely. There can be no water in this or it would boil off anyway and as I waited until it was at the boiling point before adding the pot there was a bit of froth at the start but that all went away in 10 min and it's clear now. Dying to try this and will be taking a tsp once it's done so I can better report to the person receiving it about dosage.

Crockpot01.JPG

There's really not much odor with the crock pot. Most of the odor causing molecules are captured in the oil instead of escaping into the air like what happens when pot is decarbed in the oven or vaped. That stink is medicine wafting away instead of being inside you where it can do it's work. When sealed in tinfoil before oven decarbing a lot is returned to the pot if left to cool to room temp before opening the foil pack. Stinks a lot less too.

I eat a big spoonful of coconut oil if I'm feeling chilly or want a boost of energy. It's great stuff and I try to get 50 - 80ml/day for my tired old brain. After my little stoke a few years ago the doc wanted me to take those small dose aspirin twice a day but healthy fats like coconut oil and real butter are much better and it also helps prevent Alzheimer's and dementia. I finally made contact with my birth family about 3 years ago and found out my birth mom died of demetia at 75 after 10 years of decline. I'm 62 now and I'd rather burn up in a fire than succumb to that horrible end. When I make a sandwich I use coconut oil on one slice of bread and butter on the other. Fry my eggs and pancakes with it too.

On warm days the oil will melt and solidify when it gets cooler but don't worry that won't hurt it at all as it won't go rancid like butter will. Great for your skin and makes an excellent personal lubricant as well.
:winkyface:

They say it only takes 10mg a day to stave off dementia, so I'd say you're doing well OldMedUser.

I see no evidence of a tired old brain. Maybe you could rethink that erroneous belief you keep repeating about yourself. :battingeyelashes: :love: The ECS doesn't know the difference between "reality" and what we tell it. It believes what we feel, which is often expressed in our words.

Forgive me...... it's a passion. :laughtwo:

They say it only takes 10mg a day to stave off dementia, so I'd say you're doing well OldMedUser.

I see no evidence of a tired old brain. Maybe you could rethink that erroneous belief you keep repeating about yourself. :battingeyelashes: :love: The ECS doesn't know the difference between "reality" and what we tell it. It believes what we feel, which is often expressed in our words.

Forgive me...... it's a passion. :laughtwo:

I'm doing a lot better than I was after the stroke but still have some brain fog left and the old fart moments aren't as few and far between as they used to be. :)

It was a very small stroke. Blockage in a small capillary but the CAT scan showed evidence of 4 previous ones so the doc says I have Ischemic Brain Disease. Tumor in the front of the left ventricle or whatever they call that empty space in the middle of your brain where the spinal fluid gets made. If it was in the back and grew it could block passage of the fluid and then I'm in trouble but it's too far away for that and considered benign. Should be getting another scan one of these days to see if it's changed I guess.

Still have trouble reading for more than 15 -20 min at a time then have to switch views for a bit then can go back.

Best thing I could do for my health is give up the cigs but it's so hard! lol

I am new to making oils and interested in this method after much research. I would like to reduce thc levels, though, and make more of a cbd oil. I am trying to reduce chronic pain and increase my overall health. I do not, however, like to go to the moon! Haha! It gives me anxiety. I have everything necessary for this method. I'm interested to know about lower levels of thc, though. It seems from my research that it's all about the decarb process and times and temps. So, what I'm wondering is how to use this particular process in that way, and if anyone has. Thanks so much!

Marhskit, this sounds like a good question for SweetSue. She seems to really know her stuff about this. There is strains with higher CBD ratios that you could try. I am not so familiar with decarbing to point that THC breaks down. However I completely understand what you are saying about anxiety. I found that with high doses I sometimes get anxiety. But the universe can be a scary place lol. I even recently read a study where they found smaller doses reduce stress and anxiety but high doses can increase anxiety. I have found this to be true. I think THC is important in the pain relief process so eliminating it may make the oil less effect. This is speculation though since I don't use oil for pain relief. One more note on anxiety that I have learned. Anxiety can be our body's natural response to life. It is better to accept anxiety and understand why you feel it, then to try and prevent it. The anxiety you feel may be necessary and help you make good decisions or make you realize how a decision you made may be a bad one. Often on a trip to Pluto, there is a lot of time to think about life, you may second guess things, think things through, realize things and more. But when I get home I often feel better and realize the things I worry about are not to worry about. This has helped me and I think it is a good think to spend some time alone in your head flying to Pluto to think things through, and realize downfalls you may have. It's a time to reflect and create solutions. Don't hide from it, embrace it and understand why you have these thoughts. This is was I have realized, may work for you, or may not. I'm not a doctor so please take what I say with a grain of salt.

I am new to making oils and interested in this method after much research. I would like to reduce thc levels, though, and make more of a cbd oil. I am trying to reduce chronic pain and increase my overall health. I do not, however, like to go to the moon! Haha! It gives me anxiety. I have everything necessary for this method. I'm interested to know about lower levels of thc, though. It seems from my research that it's all about the decarb process and times and temps. So, what I'm wondering is how to use this particular process in that way, and if anyone has. Thanks so much!

To get a high-CBD oil you have to start with high-CBD pot. Preferably one that has Indica dominance as the Sativa leaning strains can still be a head rush and possibly provoke anxiety if you are prone to that. Whether you go to the moon or not depends on the dosage. Longer cooking times will made any pot used more sedative as the THC breaks down to CBN. That's what happens when growers keep their plants flowering longer to get those amber trichomes they are always aiming for. I don't do that as it takes forever for me for some reason.

I don't know where you source your pot but if it's from a dispensary or pot store you should be able to get assistance from the budtender about which strain would work best. If the pot is not decarbed and cooked in the oil at a lower temp and shorter time then you could take much bigger doses without lifting off the planet much less going to the moon. :)

Check out BadKat's CannaPharm for recipes and lots of education about various forms of pot infused oils.

Good luck eh!

Is there a way to tag people here so I can ask her? I am also brandest new to this site and the previous post was my first! The anxiety I experience with thc wigs me out bad, and I have no interest in continuing to explore it haha! I'm terrified of heights hahaha! I am ok smoking if I do like a half hit and go hiking or something. That really helps my pain and internal digestion issues. But sitting at home or going to work and smoking, I just can't do. I can't function. That's why I seek an alternative that I can function on. Thanks!

Hello, I am TopCola and I would like to share with you my method for making Cannabis Coconut Oil or MoonJuice as I like to call it. I have been perfecting this method for years and I would love to hear feedback.

Step 1: pre-heat oven too 235F

Step 2: Grind a minimum of one quarter of cannabis. I prefer 20 grams of TopCola ;) Do not use stems or trim. Only high quality flower. You will see why later.

Step 3: Place ground cannabis in a wide mouth mason jar. Place tin foil on top. Fasten lid to mason jar. Leave the middle part of the mason jar off the tinfoil should cover the middle of the jar and allow air to escape. I used to poke a small pinhole in the tinfoil but later found this not necessary.

Step 4: Place mason jar into a large casserole dish. Put the lid of casserole dish on and place it in the oven. The casserole dish is to protect the cannabis from fluctuating temperatures in the oven. I also place cookie sheets on a separate rack between the oven coil and the bottom of the casserole dish. This further protects the cannabis from temperature fluctuations. If you have a convection oven, this works best as it keeps temperatures more uniform in the oven. Since I only have a bake function in my oven I take extra measure to protect the cannabis from the spike in temperature when the coil turns on.

Step 5: Decarb cannabis at 235F for 1.5-2 hours.

Step 6: Remove casserole dish from oven. Allow to cool until safe to touch.

Step 7: Add one cup of coconut oil. I find buying better quality makes a big difference in taste.

Step 8: Seal jar as done in steps 3 and 4 and put back in the oven at 235F. I used to raise the temperature when the oil was added. But I have now realized this does not improve the potency and may actually decrease potency.

Step 9: Cook cannabis and oil at 235F for minimum 2 hours. I prefer 4 hours.

Step 10: Remove from oven. Allow to cool. Once the oil has cooled enough to become thick again. Still it well to make a consistent mixture of oil and cannabis. Refrigerate.

Your done! You now have yourself some MoonJuice.

Take one teaspoon to reach the moon. Take one and a half teaspoons to make it to Jupiter. Take two teaspoons to reach Pluto.

I used to strain out the plant material and then when I was finished my oil after a few months I would eat the plant material (it works just as good as the oil). Now I leave the plant material in the oil and I have found that it is a lot more potent as well as make the process much easier. This is why I like to only use TopCola (high quality flower) for my MoonJuice. Also, this method produces almost zero smell making it good for my apartment. Sealing the jar and waiting for it to cool reduces the smell drastically. It's pretty much non-existent. I use a wide mouth jar because it makes it easy to scoop it out with a teaspoon. I like using a teaspoon because it is really simple. You could also add this to capsules but then you might as well call it moonpills!

Please be careful with dosing. Going to Pluto sounds fun, but for me it is scary and intense and best for a relaxing day away from others. Hovering in the clouds or staying close to the moon is much more to my liking. Also do not drive on MoonJuice! This can last anywhere from 3 to 10 hours. Be careful and start slow.

I look forward to your comments and feedback. Please feel free to ask me questions and I will certainly respond.

Cannabis has played a vital role in my life since age 12. I would not be where I am today without this plant. I hope one day it is accepted by the world for the wonderful plant it is.

I made mine on Thursday with a combination of information from this thread and information found elsewhere. I combined 3.5gm ground buds and a small amount of shake with 1/4 c. coconut oil in a mason jar. I screwed the lid on like normal and put in oven after preheating to 235 degrees. OldMedUser said something about stirring it frequently so I just picked it up with a pot holder (no pun intended lol) and shook it every now and then. I did this for about 3 hours then cut of the oven and left it for another hour then took out of oven to cool completely. Here's the part I'm not sure if I screwed up: when to put in the lecithin. Should I have added it in the beginning? I forgot so I added it when I remembered. It was still a little warm. It seemed to mix in easily. I poured my moon juice into a 4 oz jelly jar. I forgot to measure it. I just wanted to get the lid on it fast because it smells LOUD! But, oh my, does it taste so good!

I have been micro dosing yesterday and today and it's been frustrating because I'm trying to dose with smallest amount and I've been in a lot of pain from having to go slow. I respect couch-lock and do not want to go there so I'll continue to go slow. I started another thread in Edibles about testing potency in base edibles when they are cooked up.

Any comments and/or advice is welcomed.

I made mine on Thursday with a combination of information from this thread and information found elsewhere. I combined 3.5gm ground buds and a small amount of shake with 1/4 c. coconut oil in a mason jar. I screwed the lid on like normal and put in oven after preheating to 235 degrees. OldMedUser said something about stirring it frequently so I just picked it up with a pot holder (no pun intended lol) and shook it every now and then. I did this for about 3 hours then cut of the oven and left it for another hour then took out of oven to cool completely. Here's the part I'm not sure if I screwed up: when to put in the lecithin. Should I have added it in the beginning? I forgot so I added it when I remembered. It was still a little warm. It seemed to mix in easily. I poured my moon juice into a 4 oz jelly jar. I forgot to measure it. I just wanted to get the lid on it fast because it smells LOUD! But, oh my, does it taste so good!

I have been micro dosing yesterday and today and it's been frustrating because I'm trying to dose with smallest amount and I've been in a lot of pain from having to go slow. I respect couch-lock and do not want to go there so I'll continue to go slow. I started another thread in Edibles about testing potency in base edibles when they are cooked up.

Any comments and/or advice is welcomed.

Beach bum, how did your oil turn out? Did you find the right dose? Were you happy with the potency and affect?

Beach bum, how did your oil turn out? Did you find the right dose? Were you happy with the potency and affect?

It turned out great. Just didn't last long, but of course, I did a such a small batch just to test the waters. It disappeared really fast, like 3 days, but I was doing a lot of really small doses and never really got to my right dose. I have since made more with the Magical Butter Machine. I loved that.

It turned out great. Just didn't last long, but of course, I did a such a small batch just to test the waters. It disappeared really fast, like 3 days, but I was doing a lot of really small doses and never really got to my right dose. I have since made more with the Magical Butter Machine. I loved that.

And what concentration and dose worked out for you, if you don't mind sharing?

Back
Top Bottom