Mormans donate $40 Million to opponents of Prop 19

JohnGalt

I hate to be the bearer of bad news (and I assume this is news, as I didn't find it posted around here)...

An acquaintance of mine is involved in politics, and one of the many things he does is sit on a committee for the Yes On Prop 19 campaign. Well tonight he showed up while I was visiting a mutual friend of ours, and told me the following:

"The Mormans donated $40 Million to defeat prop 19."

and

"We were gonna win for sure until this; now we're almost certainly going to lose."

There was further conversation and some comparisons to how the same group donated a similar amount of money to win over voters for Prop 8 (where Californians prohibited homosexual marriage).

I hope he's wrong.

Re: Mormans donate $40 Million to opponents of Prop 19.

Update: Some good news (maybe)...

Over the weekend I saw this acquaintance mentioned in my previous post. Turns out the Mormans retracted their $40M pledge. In his words, "[The Mormans] pretty much just conceded, but expect to see them put that money into challenging [Prop 19] in court."

So, it looks more likely Prop 19 will pass. However, that will be just the beginning of the battle. And we're still just barely ahead in most of the polls, so if you're a Californian we still need every single vote.

If you're not yet registered, please get it done ASAP. You have less than a week to get it done if you want to vote in this election. Absentee ballots are already in the mail, so if you're expecting one look for it. Vote YES on 19 and send it back right away (you didn't really vote if you forget to mail it in).

Just thought I'd share the good-ish news.

this idea of people/groups from outside the state trying to steer CA propositions should be highly illegal...and if its from a church, they should loose their tax exepmt status as well as serve jail time while also forfeiting their voting rights for at least 10 years.

the whole prop 8 thing was a travesty, that should have resulted in major penalties for the largest out of state donors.

monsanto does this to every crop, why would they treat weed any different?

where were you when corn and wheat were being copyrighted as monsanto trademarks?

your issue lies with monsanto not prop 19. they cant touch your personal grow, just like they cant bust us for growing heirloom tomatoes.

monsanto does this to every crop, why would they treat weed any different?

where were you when corn and wheat were being copyrighted as monsanto trademarks?

your issue lies with monsanto not prop 19. they cant touch your personal grow, just like they cant bust us for growing heirloom tomatoes.

Dude, imagine though once it's made legal and Monsanto puts it through their giant (evil) biochemistry lab. Think of what they have done to corn...80% THC? Huge, instant yields? It'll all be patented, but growers are used to being illegal.

Bit of an update... got a chance to pick my source's brain for a bit regarding the inevitable federal court challenge of Prop 19.

I'm drawing a blank on the judge's name, but he said the US Supreme Court swing vote on this issue will be in our favor this time... Something about the medical MJ law didn't follow proper procedure. The judge wasn't opposed to medical MJ, but simply allowed federal law to trump a improperly passed state law.

Prop 19 is correctly following the rules; therefore the swing vote judge will almost certainly be on our side this time.

(Disclaimer: I have not read the opinion myself (yet); I'm just relaying what I was told by what I consider to be a very reliable source. This way others can hear about it and research for themselves instead of waiting for this habitual procrastinator to get around to it.)

After hearing this news I am pretty excited. Up until now I have just assumed the US Supremes were an inevitable demise... but now... HOPE!

Remember folks, if you're an absentee voter you should already have your ballot by now, and you gotta send it in. Get it done today!

Back
Top Bottom