Mosquito Dunks

NewToTHC

All:

Is there a guideline as to how to mix up a solution of mosquito dunks in water for fungus gnat prevention. Some suggest just sprinkling some on the top soil and water, others a solution in water, but how much as a guideline i.e. 1/8 dunk per a gallon of water?

I drop 1/4 of a dunk in 5 gallons- 1 whole dunk is good for 100sq.ft. of surface area, so a little goes a long ways.
After you drop it in, give it 24 hours for the BT to populate the water
I've been using them for soil gnats for about a year and a half, and it's been that long since I've seen a soil gnat, so they work pretty well.

Before I learned to prevent, I would eliminate with a tea of two ounce/gallon and use for three water cycles.

Drench.jpg

Thanks all for the information. I had a fairly bad infestation a couple weeks ago, couldn't get the mosquito dunks locally and had to mail order. In the interim used the sticky yellow pads and drenched the top of the soil with a Hydrogen peroxide mix. Knocked the gnats down to almost nothing, but certain there is larvae around. So the dunks will be for future prevention.

Thanks all for the information. I had a fairly bad infestation a couple weeks ago, couldn't get the mosquito dunks locally and had to mail order. In the interim used the sticky yellow pads and drenched the top of the soil with a Hydrogen peroxide mix. Knocked the gnats down to almost nothing, but certain there is larvae around. So the dunks will be for future prevention.
The peroxide also helps to kill larvae. I did the same routine as Carcass.

All:

Is there a guideline as to how to mix up a solution of mosquito dunks in water for fungus gnat prevention. Some suggest just sprinkling some on the top soil and water, others a solution in water, but how much as a guideline i.e. 1/8 dunk per a gallon of water?
Out of curiosity .... where did you buy your soil ? I get gnats if I try to use a soil from Home Depot or Lowes. Miracle Grow was the worst gnat problem I ever had. I strictly use FFOF now.

I put a tablespoon mosquito bits per quart of water and let it soak for a while, like a half hour, then I strain them out and water thoroughly. Seems to do the trick but ive never had a really bad infestation...yet

Out of curiosity .... where did you buy your soil ? I get gnats if I try to use a soil from Home Depot or Lowes. Miracle Grow was the worst gnat problem I ever had. I strictly use FFOF now.
I am using Ocean Forest and HP Promix along with worm castings. Did see gnats in the kitchen area so who knows where they actually came from. I also have a enclosed balcony with a bunch of tropical plants, didn't see any gnats there but who knows.

I put a tablespoon mosquito bits per quart of water and let it soak for a while, like a half hour, then I strain them out and water thoroughly. Seems to do the trick but ive never had a really bad infestation...yet
good tip thanks. I was going to do a regular fertilizer watering, wait a couple hours than do a semi soak with the dunk solution for the top 3 inches of the pot. This should ensure the dry soil (peat based) on the top won't repel any of the dunk solution.

Back
Top Bottom