Most efficient hash extraction

Re: most efficient hash extraction.

I will only consider "natural" extractions...
Urmom,

What kind of criteria and threshold do you use when ruling out certain activities as "unnatural"? As far as I can determine, using CO2 as a refrigerant is not really artificial because Carbon is as indigenous as Weed and there is nothing leftover from the process except for the desired result - Trichomes - unless the maker does something wrong and ends up with vegetable matter in with the good stuff. I like this process because there is no waiting period necessary for drying & curing - I can go from cut plant to trim pot to blender with the trim & de-seeded buds that were pollinated, right into the dry-ice pot and have a pile of Trichomes within minutes of being harvested.

There is literally no downside to using Dry Ice.

Using the wet bubble bag method, there is a likelihood of adding water-borne elements which could detract from the quality of the Hash, such as minerals, chlorine, hormones, etc. from tapwater. Using RO water as the medium would ameliorate that risk to a large degree. You can also use this method right away after harvest.

Waiting for the plants to dry & cure in order to make traditional Kief naturally takes a long time and the end product is very different than that retrieved from the Dry Ice method, due to its containing significant amounts of vegetable matter that increase the harshness and detract from the taste - and effects.

I'd like to see a comparison done here using equal amounts of the same base material and process each in separate batches, one in Dry Ice and the other using RO water, both in the same sized Bubble Bags. The results could be compared, along with the quality.

I may talk myself into personally doing this, so stay tuned.

:peace:

If you guys can't find the right stuff, we do have the bubble bags in as little as a three set so you can use them.

They also make a dry ice kit, with a bucket and micron cover, but I'll be honest, they're pretty pricey, so if you can save money doing it how you're talking about more power to you. They run about $60 (with 420 coupon) for the kit or $53 for just the micron cover.

What kind of "resin block" are you talking about? Could you eloborate on this method? Maybe do a "How To" journal...I'm always interested in new ways to prepare cannabis...

its old skool mate and doesnt get much simpler.

you just chop the plant at the base, throw the lot into a big drum (or use kitchen appliances) and blend the crap out of it till its mush.
then throw in a load of Isopropyl alcohol and mix well. just keep stiring it and let it all evaporate off.

its a good idea to grind up some buds seperate to this so you have a bone dry powder, then you can add this powder to your resin and mix well a bit at a time till you get the consistency your after.

it aint pretty but you certainly make your weed last MUCH longer and has great economic implications for a seller.

GigaBane:

The "liquefaction" of an entire plant used to make a brick of smokeable weed? There really isn't much (if any) THC in the trunk, branches or fan leaves, so this sounds like it would end up being much harsher than it needs to be. I am a 57 year old engineer and have never heard of this approach.

Is this something you have done personally, or is it something you only heard about?

yes my friend it IS much harsher than it needs to be and its not all that pure, this is the opposite to the most efficient extraction really and was only brought up in regard to the possibility of long term storage of a plant before using it to make purer forms.

this crap has been availible on the market since forever and is quite often sold as a 'cleaner' version of formula if you have ever heard of that.

i have been involved with a group that did this and physically saw the plants going in and the end product. but i have never personally done it. if it was myself i would be willing to try it, but i would just use leaves and bud, i smoke both anyways so no great loss for me.

i would also practice my formula so that the end product was pure enough (bud to leaf) that your first joint felt like it had a decent effect.

this isnt something im reccomending you understand, this is just something that exists and may have more benign uses that milking customers for every penny....like i said, if its possible to solidify the entire plant and then reconstitute it later into pure honey oil or such it has potential for storage purposes.

on a funny note, just imagin building your garden shed out of it ,lol

If you guys can't find the right stuff, we do have the bubble bags in as little as a three set so you can use them.

They also make a dry ice kit, with a bucket and micron cover, but I'll be honest, they're pretty pricey, so if you can save money doing it how you're talking about more power to you. They run about $60 (with 420 coupon) for the kit or $53 for just the micron cover.

Well I plan on first doing a 100 micron bubble extraction with dry ice. Then I will take the leftover clippings afterwards and do an alcohol.

Well at least thats the plan lol. I won't be harvesting tomorrow anymore. Itll be tuesday or wednesday as I decided to do one more flush on my most ripe plants and did the flush tonight. I checked the trichs and I should be fine letting the plants go another few more days.

part of this depends on if I can find some 100 micron nylon cloth at michaels, and how much the hexane or alcohol would cost me.

You can easily find a decent sized piece of stainless steel 150 micron mesh for about 20 bucks on evilbay (ebay). If you are any good at working with wood, you can easily make a wooden box. Or, you can cut circles that fit into the lid of a mason jar and use the jar as a kief shaker.

Does anyone have a good pictoral "how-to" on the 420 forums for the dry ice method? I suppose after dry ice you could still extract whatever is left into canna butter right? Probably need to double the starting product for potency issues with your butter but it could be done right? What are the end results of dry ice vs traditional kief discs? I have been a big fan of kief discs for a long time. When you have good dry trim, you end up with superior kief...I used to get 2-3 inch discs about 1/4 thick that a small sprinkle would crush you when added to a joint or sprinkled on a glass piece. I am interested in cooking with my cannabis and making an extract with my trim. I love my flowers but want to use the trim for hash and butter. I just need to know the best methods from the good folks here on the forums. Thanks in advance.

I learned from watching youtube videos; VaderOG did it for the first time using a $10 piece of 150 mesh silkscreen and was quite successful, in only a few minutes, had an ounce of Trichomes from using a half pound of sugar trim. I found many other examples googling the term dry ice, hash.

Re: Most efficient hash extraction.

I saw several successful (SAFER ORGANIC METHODS) alternative methods on youtube, what have you found is your preferred method?? thanks again!

To make cold water method to make hash/wax. does product have to be dry, or can extract with fresh clippings that are NOT dry?

thanks

Yield-wise you'll always be better with a dry sift getting around 2-3 grams from an OZ of a quality trim. For bubble hash at least half a lb of trim is necessary to get anything worth doing in the first place. There's also finger method and dry ice, all of them yielding different amounts. Potency-wise bubble is the best, even 50% THC if working with good trim/budz, but it's messy without the right equipment and a number of things can go wrong. Also it's heavy on the lungz and all the terpenes are lost in the process. To each his own I guess.

Back
Top Bottom