Most efficient way of turning weed into edibles

Dontdisrespectmylung

What's the most efficient way to make etable so that none of the thc is wasted? Im guessing oil extracts?

What recepie should i follow?

What if i just decarb the weed and mix it with oil without boiling it and straining it?

(I wanna avoid the straining part, i feel like im wasting some of the therapens, and i dont mind the taste...)

not an expert on edibles but yes do your decarb first but the second heating is to infuse the goodies into the oil, otherwise it’s a weak or cold transfer… you want to cook them together slowly based on a known recipe of time & temp… whether you strain or not is of no consequence to me but trichome heads are small enough to pass right thru mesh strainer

Hi mate,
95% of our product gets ate. We decarb at 125°C between 25 and 35 mins, depending on how dry the bud is.
Then we just stick it through the coffee grinder, mix it in with some molten chocolate and pour it into moulds.. no fuss, no mess and nothing wasted. Weve found this is the most efficient way for us
0.2 of a gram of decabed bud per chocolate is enough to get us cruising ..

What's the most efficient way to make etable so that none of the thc is wasted? Im guessing oil extracts?

What recepie should i follow?

What if i just decarb the weed and mix it with oil without boiling it and straining it?

(I wanna avoid the straining part, i feel like im wasting some of the therapens, and i dont mind the taste...)

A former 420 member used to make brownies with her cannabis and she didn't strain the cannabis from the butter/oil. Do you have an Insta-Pot? If you don't, let me know and I'll dig up a non-Insta-Pot recipe. Here is her recipe:

Biobomb Brownies

not an expert on edibles but yes do your decarb first but the second heating is to infuse the goodies into the oil, otherwise it’s a weak or cold transfer… you want to cook them together slowly based on a known recipe of time & temp… whether you strain or not is of no consequence to me but trichome heads are small enough to pass right thru mesh strainer
i see, i really like this recipe because it uses calls to put the butter in the oven instead of a pot so less room for temperature error, what do you think of it?
  1. Decarb your herb: Decarboxylation is part of the natural aging process, and makes it much more potent.
  2. Pre-heat your oven to 215° F.
  3. Chop up your herb finely with scissors. Do not use a coffee grinder. Sprinkle evenly into a small glass pyrex or OVEN SAFE ceramic dish. Cover WELL with aluminum foil, crimping up around the edges. It is important it is sealed well. Use another layer of foil if needed.
  4. Place in oven at 215° F, for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove the dish and let it cool, WITH the foil still on. Letting it cool down slowly, allows any vapors to settle back into the material.
  5. Add the oil or butter and heat: While you wait for the container to cool, Melt your coconut oil or butter in a pan on LOW heat. If using butter, clarify it by skimming the milk solids off the surface.Now Remove your foil lid from the herb pan. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of lecithin evenly over the surface of the decarbed herb. Then, pour the oil or butter over your herb. Mix it up, Cover with foil, and place back in the oven for 45 minutes at 215° F.
  6. After 45 minutes, remove from the oven (leave it on) and allow the dish to cool for 10 – 15 minutes. Once the temp has dropped and you can comfortably touch the dish, you’ll carefully open it, then press and mash the herb with the back of a spoon. This helps break down the trichomes into the oil, so it can soak up more medicine. Now, add another 1/2 teaspoon of lecithin and stir.
  7. Replace the foil lid, seal well, and put back in the oven for another 45 minutes. Then shut off the heat and let cool.
  8. When finished cooling, freeze it for at least 2 hours (longer is fine). Remove from freezer, allow to thaw to room temp (or the shock will break your dish), then place back in the oven for just long enough to liquefy and thin out the oil, for better straining.If you want extra “sleepy” oil, you can repeat the above heating and reheating process again.
  9. Strain the oil out of the herb: Strain the herb out of the oil by running it thru a mesh (not paper) coffee filter, cheese cloth, or similar. Use a spoon to press on the herb to help press the oil out of it.

@Paul Squiggle @HashGirl

Hi mate,
95% of our product gets ate. We decarb at 125°C between 25 and 35 mins, depending on how dry the bud is.
Then we just stick it through the coffee grinder, mix it in with some molten chocolate and pour it into moulds.. no fuss, no mess and nothing wasted. Weve found this is the most efficient way for us
0.2 of a gram of decabed bud per chocolate is enough to get us cruising ..
0.2 g's? my tolerance isn't THAT high (i smoke around 0.4 to a gram of 23% weed per day) and it's enough to get me nice and high, but when i make etables i need a solid 0.5g to get me high (and that's nothing crazy, just a nice enjoyable high) this is what led me to believe some thc is getting wasted, because it should be 125mg of thc ish, way more than what you'd absorb from smoking or vaping a 0.5g

about what @013 said, " but the second heating is to infuse the goodies into the oil, otherwise it’s a weak or cold transfer"

wouldn't it work better if the chocolate is heated too paul? like when making a firecracker? (10 min decarb weed at 120c then 15 min with the chocolate and cracker at 150c) is what i do.

A former 420 member used to make brownies with her cannabis and she didn't strain the cannabis from the butter/oil. Do you have an Insta-Pot? If you don't, let me know and I'll dig up a non-Insta-Pot recipe. Here is her recipe:

Biobomb Brownies
nope i don't have one. i really like this recipe as it leaves little room of temperature error since it's using an oven, what do you think?

1. Decarb your herb: Decarboxylation is part of the natural aging process, and makes it much more potent.
  2. Pre-heat your oven to 215° F.
  3. Chop up your herb finely with scissors. Do not use a coffee grinder. Sprinkle evenly into a small glass pyrex or OVEN SAFE ceramic dish. Cover WELL with aluminum foil, crimping up around the edges. It is important it is sealed well. Use another layer of foil if needed.
  4. Place in oven at 215° F, for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove the dish and let it cool, WITH the foil still on. Letting it cool down slowly, allows any vapors to settle back into the material.
  5. Add the oil or butter and heat: While you wait for the container to cool, Melt your coconut oil or butter in a pan on LOW heat. If using butter, clarify it by skimming the milk solids off the surface.Now Remove your foil lid from the herb pan. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of lecithin evenly over the surface of the decarbed herb. Then, pour the oil or butter over your herb. Mix it up, Cover with foil, and place back in the oven for 45 minutes at 215° F.
  6. After 45 minutes, remove from the oven (leave it on) and allow the dish to cool for 10 – 15 minutes. Once the temp has dropped and you can comfortably touch the dish, you’ll carefully open it, then press and mash the herb with the back of a spoon. This helps break down the trichomes into the oil, so it can soak up more medicine. Now, add another 1/2 teaspoon of lecithin and stir.
  7. Replace the foil lid, seal well, and put back in the oven for another 45 minutes. Then shut off the heat and let cool.
  8. When finished cooling, freeze it for at least 2 hours (longer is fine). Remove from freezer, allow to thaw to room temp (or the shock will break your dish), then place back in the oven for just long enough to liquefy and thin out the oil, for better straining.If you want extra “sleepy” oil, you can repeat the above heating and reheating process again.
  9. Strain the oil out of the herb: Strain the herb out of the oil by running it thru a mesh (not paper) coffee filter, cheese cloth, or similar. Use a spoon to press on the herb to help press the oil out of it.
honestly @Paul Squiggle method also is really appealing to me, i'm just wondering if any of the thc is getting wasted without heating the chocolate with the weed in it.

also, so we know thc binds to fat, what i'm wondering is, is more fat better? say, is using 10 grams of butter per gram of weed enough? or would using more butter result in more thc binding to the fat and becoming bio available to us?

also i wonder if eating fatty foods right before the etable would help?

i'm always tight on weed because i can only grow so much so i always look for a way to maximize the high

The recipe you found isn't the way I do it but I'm sure it would be fine.

My method is that I grind up the cannabis and then decarb in the oven at 230F for 110 minutes. When the decarb is done, I melt butter in a crockpot set to low (around 160F). When the butter has melted, I add the decarbed cannabis. I let it simmer for 3 hours, stirring occasionally. After 3 hours, I turn the slow cooker off and when it's cool enough, strain it (or not, if that's what you prefer).

Typically, we say that we have a Production Efficiency of .85% when doing infusions. @InTheShed can probably explain this better than I can.

My method is that I grind up the cannabis and then decarb in the oven at 230F for 110 minutes. When the decarb is done, I melt butter in a crockpot set to low (around 160F). When the butter has melted, I add the decarbed cannabis. I let it simmer for 3 hours, stirring occasionally. After 3 hours, I turn the slow cooker off and when it's cool enough, strain it (or not, if that's what you prefer).

Typically, we say that we have a Production Efficiency of .85% when doing infusions. @InTheShed can probably explain this better than I can.
110mins? that seems much longer than some recipes call for, isn't there a risk of losing potency if you leave it for too long?

This chart shows that a higher temp would yield higher thc, is this accurate?

Screenshot_2021-11-16-17-25-17-195_com.android.chrome.jpg

I got so messed up on edibles recently that I'm afraid to take any more lol. I'd take Squigs advice and start with a small dose. I did the decarb in a mason jar inside an air fryer with the lid slightly loose. Then I infused with coconut oil 1 to 1 inside the mason jar shimmering in water for 6-8 hours. The jar goes on top of a face cloth to keep the jar itself from touching the bottom of the pot. Was way different than smoking and not enjoyable - but then again I dosed with like 4 teaspoons which was stupid on my part... It doesn't help that I also filled the jar with water after the infusion and drank any residue it left or that I ate like half a gram of the infused bud that was going to be thrown out... Live and learn. :Rasta:

For a jar in the oven I use 80% efficiency and for the Magical Butter machine (which does a much better job of infusion than anything we can do manually) I use 85%. And I run mine for 8 hours, let it cool overnight, and then another 8 hours the following day. Then I mix in 1Tbs liquid sunflower lecithin/cup of oil and put in the fridge overnight, and the following day it's good for whatever you like.

By the way, the efficiency rating is what I put into @Oldbear's oil blending spreadsheet.

I got so messed up on edibles recently that I'm afraid to take any more lol. I'd take Squigs advice and start with a small dose. I did the decarb in a mason jar inside an air fryer with the lid slightly loose. Then I infused with coconut oil 1 to 1 inside the mason jar shimmering in water for 6-8 hours. The jar goes on top of a face cloth to keep the jar itself from touching the bottom of the pot. Was way different than smoking and not enjoyable - but then again I dosed with like 4 teaspoons which was stupid on my part... It doesn't help that I also filled the jar with water after the infusion and drank any residue it left or that I ate like half a gram of the infused bud that was going to be thrown out... Live and learn. :Rasta:
i'm starting to love etables tbh, i need such high doses tho, 125mg + to get a decent high , not a heavy smoker

ok so i decided i'll do like this: weed in the oven at 250f for 20 mins to decarb the weed

then, mix the oil and weed and put it in the oven for a while, what temp should i use and for how long? (mind you i'm keep the bud in the oil i'm not taking it out)

Not sure what you're making with the bud, but if what percentage of the cannabinoids are transferred to the oil doesn't matter then the infusion efficiency doesn't matter either!
I see thanks, i thought that even if i leave the bud in i would still need to leave it for long for the thc to bind to the fat better... Im not planning to make anything tbh, just eat the oil straight and get high

Back
Top Bottom