MotaFina - 2nd Indoor Grow - Damnesia & Special Kush - Supersoil - HID

MotaFina

Hey everyone! So, this is my 2nd grow since the old days. Here are the details:

Strains: Damnesia and Special Kush #1
Environment: Indoors in a 4x4 grow tent
Lighting: CFLs for seeding, 400w MH for Veg, 1000w HPS for flowering
Medium: I'm using a Supersoil mix that is based on Subcool's recipe
Nutrients: If needed, I'll supplement the supersoil with "Nectar for the Gods" nutrients from Oregon's Only.

This journal is starting at the very beginning. I just put seeds into a paper towel yesterday and they're all germinating today:

Special Kush (awww....so cute!):
SpecialKush.jpg

Damnesia:
Damnesia3.jpg

They've been moved into small plastic pots with a mix of soil and perlite and are sitting under 2x26W Daylight CFLs, which I'll run for 24 hours. Hoping to see little plants poking up by tomorrow!

Hey MF, nice strains you got going ! I particularly like SK1, small height, short flowering, clear and energetic high; A good simple plant.

SK1 could be on my list for a next grow (like next summer); I'll first grow my last 2 Euphoria seeds this fall. Euphoria is really nice. I have only smoked tiny buds from early flowering, and I find it strong enough. I think the ripened and cured buds will be quite nice, even if the "specs" are on the lower side on thc. (If I decide i want stronger stuff than Euphoria, I'll buy some RQ Royal Highness (Sa 60% In 40%); Same style, more potent.)

But I'm still looking for 2nd strain, and SK1 might fit the bill ;-) If find my Blueberry boring. Puts you to sleep in 20 minutes. Then again my gf likes it for her frequent insomnia...

Hey MF, nice strains you got going ! I particularly like SK1, small height, short flowering, clear and energetic high; A good simple plant.

SK1 could be on my list for a next grow (like next summer); I'll first grow my last 2 Euphoria seeds this fall. Euphoria is really nice. I have only smoked tiny buds from early flowering, and I find it strong enough. I think the ripened and cured buds will be quite nice, even if the "specs" are on the lower side on thc. (If I decide i want stronger stuff than Euphoria, I'll buy some RQ Royal Highness (Sa 60% In 40%); Same style, more potent.)

But I'm still looking for 2nd strain, and SK1 might fit the bill ;-) If find my Blueberry boring. Puts you to sleep in 20 minutes. Then again my gf likes it for her frequent insomnia...

I picked the strains I bought based on five criteria - listed in order of importance: effects, flowering time, yield, THC/CBD content, and price . I want a more energetic, euphoric-type high. So SK is definitely a good one, and a bonus since it was a freebie. Another SK upside is that it's one of the cheapest strains out there.

Here's my first update - I've got sprouts! However, two of them are struggling. Here's some photos:

All four have sprouted (Special Kush in the round pot):

Sprouts13.JPG

Two of the Damnesia seedlings are struggling - having a hard time opening the cotyledon leaves:

BadSprout1.jpg

BadSprout2a.jpg

There doesn't appear to be much that I can do to help them out. They'll either make it or not. We'll see how it goes over the next couple of days.

I have approx the same criteria. Another strain I'm looking into is RQS Pineapple Kush (Pineapple x OG Kush).
Pineapple Kush Cannabis Seeds

It's certainly too potent for me, but I figure I can just only use less ;-)

I really like my Euphoria, but I'm too curious to not grow other strains. Fortunately, I have a grower friend that grows continuously, and he's currently growing a clone from my Euphoria, so I can get clones again from him in the future.

It's certainly too potent for me, but I figure I can just only use less ;-)

Lol...me too. I'm a total lightweight. But I figure if my inexperience causes my grow to not come out quite right, with a more potent strain, I'll still get a decent potency. And if I somehow grow it to it's full potential, I'll give it all to my wife! She's the real stoner in the family.

Try using toothpicks to gently remove the seed husk.

The seed husk was already off on both plants, but there was some dried up tissue at the tips on both plants preventing the initial leaves from splitting apart. However, thanks so much for the toothpick idea. I didn't even think of that. I was able to use toothpicks to pry the leaves apart on one of the plants.

SproutProblem1.jpg

On the other one, I had to use my trimming scissors to trim off the dried part, then used toothpicks to get it unstuck.

SproutProblem.jpg

I think they both have a chance now. Thanks for the rescue Penny!

Hey, good luck with your grow. I'm about to start my first. I saw that you are starting with lower Watts and increasing at flowering. I'm trying to find out whether it's benifical to have lower Watts at the plants earlier stages. Mainly to save electricity without loosing yeild.

Hey, good luck with your grow. I'm about to start my first. I saw that you are starting with lower Watts and increasing at flowering. I'm trying to find out whether it's benifical to have lower Watts at the plants earlier stages. Mainly to save electricity without loosing yeild.

It's definitely beneficial on the power bill to start out low. But also, I don't think the plants need tons of watts in veg. If I had a roomful maybe, but I'm just growing 4 plants. The 1000w HPS in flower definitely helps them put on weight. I haven't tried LED, but that seems to be a way to cut the electric bill, hopefully without losing yield. Good luck with your grow.

I have a 600w hps but prefer my leds for flowering. I think i get better colors and more terps from led.
I agree penny, the quality of my white widows bud under the led is much better than the one growed under my 1000w hps, better tric production also...️

If I may give my 2 cents on the low wattage in veg...
If plants grow fast, with short internodes, and consumes a good amount of nutes/water, they are getting optimal light.
If they grow slowly and elongated, they are not getting enough.

A good way to start progressively on the power-bill is to start each seedling with one 23w CFL bulb, then 2, then maybe 4 or whatever you have/prefer (HID, LED,etc) you have. 8 CFLs (2 x 4/plant) at 23w mean 184watts. MF's 400w MH should be perfect for 2 plants in early/mid veg. Is the coverage good enough for 2 plants with a 400w MH ? Hmmm... About 3' x 3'... that's a bit restrictive with 2 big plants in later veg. Maybe put the 1000W HPS early, or buy a 1000w MH buld (20-30$ ?) for late veg ?

Personally (I'm no expert on LEDs), I'm skeptical of the LEDs. Costs a fortune it seems and I see mixed results... a lot of people with either elongated plants (light too far) or burned plants (too close), unhappy plants (light spectrum). Possibly there are good/bad brands of Leds. Even on youtube I saw tests with (side by side), with the sun/leds/HIDs/CFLs, and the led results were mediocre. Strange leaves, strange color, poor growth, etc.

Then again, its always about compromises and each case is unique. Investment/power bill/lumens/heat/space/ease of use.... erk.

My young plants absolutely loved daylight CFLs at ~2 inches. Each day you have to elevate the cfls and keep em from touching. But I've had the plant as close as 1/2 inch without burning.

Thanks for the perspectives everyone!

If money was not an issue, I'd try LEDs. If a good LED produces adequate quality and yield, then over time the cost savings on electricity would pay for the initial investment. But as it is, I have what I have and it still works, so I'm not inclined to invest in more equipment. At least not until mine ages to the point of either not producing well, or becomes dangerous due to age.

Back
Top Bottom