Motafina Fall 2019: Hulkberry, Damnesia, Jack Herrer, Gelato OG

And here's the next group of sprouts:

Only one of the Master Kush popped, so hopefully that one will be a female. I'll be starting up a new journal for those babies pretty soon.

Final Thoughts and Smoke Report:

Strains

Damnesia
- This harvest, the Damnesia produced the most and seems to have the highest quality overall. These buds are so sticky they're almost impossible to grind. The resin is like glue and just gums the grinder up so bad that it becomes almost unusable. The smoke is rich and thick and hits hard and quick. Produces an upper high that's quite enjoyable. Two hits max for me.

Gelat.OG - This was the easiest plant to grow and had a great look about it....tall, round-topped colas, with nice color and a strong tropical fruit aroma. Samples have been well received, but I haven't tried it yet myself.

Jack Herrer - The Jack Herrer was a little finiky, suffering a little with apparent nitrogen toxicity. I thought I might have pulled the JH just a little early, but now it seems to be just about right. It suffered the loss of one big bud to bud rot, but produced just slightly less than the Damnesia. The buds are long and spikey and have a great citrus aroma and taste. Produces an upper high.

Hulkberry - An amazing strain. This plant produced enormous buds, although the overall yield was the lowest on this plant. I did suffer the loss of one of the prize buds to bud rot, so that contributed to the lower yield. The aroma is a delicious sour lime. The buds have large crystal-covered calyxes. Not super dense, but very lovely buds. This also has an upper high and is very strong.

Nutrients - My supersoil provided most of the nutrients, but I started adding light doses of Nectar for the Gods liquid nutes at about 2 weeks into flower. From then on, I alternated plain tap water with NFTG and instant tea. So a water - nutes - water - tea cycle. This seems to have worked out great.

Soil - Re-amended supersoil mixed with Coast of Maine Stonington Blend. I added different things to the soil for each transplant. Most notably, I added a lot of the Coast of Maine "Buds and Blooms" flowering amendment into the final pots. This is a calcium-heavy, 5-13-0 fish bone mixture.

Lighting - CFLs for seedling stage up to early veg, 400w Plantmax MH in veg up to week 1 of flowering, 1000w Plantmax HPS for flowering. I'm still too poor/cheap to pay for the switch to LEDs.

Pots - 3 x 7-gal fabric and one 7-gal plastic. The only difference I notice with the pots is that I can wait an extra day or two to water the plastic pot. The pot type doesn't seem to affect the quality or quantity of the harvest.

Water - I started out using store-bought spring water, then used primarily untreated tap water.

Process:

Germination:
Wet towel process - 100% success (4/4)

Veg - No nutrients were added. Instant tea a couple of times. No problems here.

Training - I used the 'quadline' technique on the Damnesia, which turned out to have the highest yield. The other plants were topped twice and trained to grow outwards. The Hulkberry displayed amazing branch strength from the lowest nodes.

Flowering - I started adding nutrients in early flower. One thing I learned from this grow is to switch my intake and extraction fans to 24/7 at some point before the buds get really big. I hope to never experience bud rot again.

Drying/Curing - Wet trim, then hang in dark space with airflow. After 3-4 days the buds were super dry and crumbly on the outside, so I transitioned the cut buds into paper bags. They were in bags for another 4-6 days then into jars for burping. Once they get to the desired moisture level, I will use my "FreshSaver" vacuum to vacuum seal the jars for longer term storage.

Overall, this was a very successful grow. We're sitting pretty for the next year or so with plenty of variety in the jars. Thanks to everyone who stopped by to check out my grow. My next grow is started and a new journal is at the link below (or in my signature):

Update - Day 123 - Day 58 of flower:

Quick update on the grow.

The Hulkberry and Damnesia are fading fast. Most of their big fans are totally yellow and turning to brown. Still, the plants seem pretty healthy. I think it's just normal at this stage for there to be some fading of the fans. Hopefully they'll stay healthy to the finish.

The Gelato is still not ready. I pulled off one big bud for a sampler. I'm still seeing clear trichs and very little amber, so it's not fully there yet. Hopefully just another few days.

The Jack Herrer is done putting out new pistils but is taking its sweet time for them to turn brown. But they have bulked up quite a lot, so that's good.

Here's photos:

Plants:

And here's some bud shots:

Very nice @MotaFina . Plants look fantastic. Looks like a great yield too. Congrats on your harvest my friend.

Thanks Sparkey! I'll be watching your Amherst SD....sounds like an amazing strain.
Thanks brother. I'm pretty stoked about the ASD. Never grown SD, but love smoking it. I heard alot of good things anout this strain, one particular pheno.
Are you still using sub cool super soil with coast of Maine?

Thanks brother. I'm pretty stoked about the ASD. Never grown SD, but love smoking it. I heard alot of good things anout this strain, one particular pheno.
Sorry man, went back to page 1 and read that you're using sub cool.
Are you putting it in the bottom 3rd of the container or just mixing it? Fantastic results, might have to jump on your recipe if you don't mind..:thumb:
I definitely can push my plant more and that might be the icing on the cake.

Sorry man, went back to page 1 and read that you're using sub cool.
Are you putting it in the bottom 3rd of the container or just mixing it? Fantastic results, might have to jump on your recipe if you don't mind..:thumb:
I definitely can push my plant more and that might be the icing on the cake.
I transplant 3 times, and I do it a little different each time, but basically adding more percentage of the supersoil mix as the plants grow. I started out in 4" pots with pure CoM blend with 25% perlite added. My first transplant from 4" to 1-gal I added a layer of supersoil at the bottom then filled in around the plant with CoM blend. Next I went to 3-gal pots and I filled about 1/2 the pot with my supersoil mix, then topped off with CoM. Next uppot is to 7-gal and for that one I used 100% supersoil and also added in the CoM Bud and Bloom fish bone fertilizer. So, I'm all over the place, but in a way that hopefully makes sense.

I'd be happy to post a more detailed recipe if you want.

I've got a Sour Diesel seed in my collection, but I'm really hesitant to grow it due to the long 11-13 week flowering period. My plants always seem to start to die off by around week 10, so not sure if I'd be able to keep one alive for 13 weeks.

I transplant 3 times, and I do it a little different each time, but basically adding more percentage of the supersoil mix as the plants grow. I started out in 4" pots with pure CoM blend with 25% perlite added. My first transplant from 4" to 1-gal I added a layer of supersoil at the bottom then filled in around the plant with CoM blend. Next I went to 3-gal pots and I filled about 1/2 the pot with my supersoil mix, then topped off with CoM. Next uppot is to 7-gal and for that one I used 100% supersoil and also added in the CoM Bud and Bloom fish bone fertilizer. So, I'm all over the place, but in a way that hopefully makes sense.

I'd be happy to post a more detailed recipe if you want.
I completely get it and like the freestyle rap recipe. (Those are always the best) like grandmoms buscuits..lol..It makes total sense and the soils compliments each other.
I've been throwing some roots organic soil into Stonneton blend just to break air it out a little. Then add COM fish meal,kelp, ect.
You should throw a couple of those plants,nugs into the monthly contest. Really looks fire. I bet the smell is loud and incredible

I completely get it and like the freestyle rap recipe. (Those are always the best) like grandmoms buscuits..lol..It makes total sense and the soils compliments each other.
I've been throwing some roots organic soil into Stonneton blend just to break air it out a little. Then add COM fish meal,kelp, ect.
You should throw a couple of those plants,nugs into the monthly contest. Really looks fire. I bet the smell is loud and incredible
I just burped the jars, and OMG....the smell! The Hulkberry has an intoxicating smell....almost like cutting into a fresh lime, but richer. It's amazing.

Back
Top Bottom