Motafina Fall 2019: Hulkberry, Damnesia, Jack Herrer, Gelato OG

Girls are looking great :popcorn:

Thanks Candy!

I've having some issues still with premature fading of lower fans. I think it's nutrient lockout due to something....either pH is off or there's excess P or K. I tried doing a flush on the Hulkberry....put about 15 gallons of clear water through the pot. And she seems to have improved a little. So I'm going to do the same to the Damnesia and Jack Herrer tonight. The Gelato doesn't seem to be as badly affected. I'll post pics...probably tomorrow.

Thanks Candy!

I've having some issues still with premature fading of lower fans. I think it's nutrient lockout due to something....either pH is off or there's excess P or K. I tried doing a flush on the Hulkberry....put about 15 gallons of clear water through the pot. And she seems to have improved a little. So I'm going to do the same to the Damnesia and Jack Herrer tonight. The Gelato doesn't seem to be as badly affected. I'll post pics...probably tomorrow.
Yeah sometimes a good reset will set things back right again. I accidentally overfed a couple of my girls on my first grow and I gave them a good flush and then once they dried up resumed my regular feeding schedule and that worked out perfectly as they looked great within just a few hours of the flush. I always triple check my PH with two different systems before I feed/water cuz I’m so paranoid about getting the PH wrong. You got this! :cheer:

Update - Day 95 from seed - Day 30 of flowering:

I did the flush on the Jack Herrer and Damnesia last night. The JH is already so top heavy that I had to put in some support for the buds. JH, Damnesia and Hulkberry are all showing slightly different symptoms. JH is showing a slight nitrogen toxicity - dark green, shiny leaves that are curling in. Damnesia and Hulkberry were showing quick fading of lower fans - they get thin and begin to yellow, eventually turning brown and falling off. They all seemed a little better after the flush, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll stay healthy. On a positive note, they are smelling wonderful!

Here's pictures:

Tent shot:

Update - Day 102 from seed - Day 36 of flowering:

Another week gone by. I've veered a little off my feeding regimen....giving them more plain water feedings due to the appearance of nutrient burn. It's not too bad though so I'm not too worried. Next watering will be a compost tea.

The buds are producing tons of pistils but are not as frosty as I'd like at this stage. Hopefully the calyxes will start swelling and trichomes busting out all over. We'll see. Still several weeks before I'll start checking trichomes for color.

Here's some pictures:

First, a couple of tent shots:

Due to the crowding, the best I can do now is take a picture from the top of each plant:

And finally some bud shots:

Looks like they are getting happier! Some really nice looking buds there man!! :thumb: :passitleft:
Thanks Van Stank!

Yeah the buds are starting to look pretty chunky. A couple plants are now starting to swell up from the inside, which is what I like to see at this point in flowering. The Jack Herrer is lagging a bit. I wonder if that one will need to go more than the breeder's recommended 9 weeks.

I think I have seen the time listed for most Jack Herer as somewhere from 50-75 days depending on what pheno you get. Now...the question remains is that from the flip or from 'first pistil'. But that is a discussion for another day LOL.

I think I have seen the time listed for most Jack Herer as somewhere from 50-75 days depending on what pheno you get. Now...the question remains is that from the flip or from 'first pistil'. But that is a discussion for another day LOL.
Wow...so that's about a 4-week difference...anywhere from 7 to 11 weeks! I guess it ultimately comes down to the trichomes and how you like your weed to affect you.

And that brings me to something I've been wondering about....which factor is more influential in the high? Is it the genetics (% sativa vs indica) or is it when you harvest (% clear/cloudy/amber) that determines how sativa/soaring/cerebral or indica/relaxing/couchlock the high is off any individual plant?

BTW, I count flowering days from first pistils. Counting from flip doesn't make sense in outdoor grows, so I feel indoors should use the same way of counting. No idea though what the breeders consider first day.

Wow...so that's about a 4-week difference...anywhere from 7 to 11 weeks! I guess it ultimately comes down to the trichomes and how you like your weed to affect you.

And that brings me to something I've been wondering about....which factor is more influential in the high? Is it the genetics (% sativa vs indica) or is it when you harvest (% clear/cloudy/amber) that determines how sativa/soaring/cerebral or indica/relaxing/couchlock the high is off any individual plant?

BTW, I count flowering days from first pistils. Counting from flip doesn't make sense in outdoor grows, so I feel indoors should use the same way of counting. No idea though what the breeders consider first day.
I generally track both.....but I find most genetics show pistils around 9-10 days.

As far as high.....I think there are a lot of factors that influence it. I can generally tell from smoking bud if it was grown organically in soil or if they are salt based. The highs from organically grown cannabis lasts much longer than last based fertilizer grown cannabis. Not to mention I find the highs to be hollow....lacking a full high.

So the medium its grown in has a lot to do with the high. Interestingly natural sun vs artificial light can influence the high as well. I grew one of my DTF clones outdoors this year and the highs are incredible as is the flavor. Same organic soil...same cut as indoors grown under a top of the line LED....and the sun grown blows away the other organically grown cut. Blew my mind on the difference. And that taste.....making me re-evaluate growing plans going forward.

Harvest times do effect the highs for sure as well.....for a new strain, sometimes I will harvest in 3rds over a two-three week time period. Cut a third a week or so early, Cut a third a week or so later in prime harvest window, and cut the last third a week to 10 days later. That lets me sample enough of each to know which one (if any) I preferred more than the others. For lack of anything jumping out at me....I always let it go longer as the yields will go up.

Lastly, genetics probably plays the biggest role in the high. Shit genetics is going to give you a shit product regardless of where you grow it, what you grow it in, or when you harvest it. Can't polish a turd into diamond.

That's interesting about the sun-grown vs indoor. Being limited to an indoor operation, I wonder what lighting setup would come the closest to outdoor?

So, when you do a prolonged harvest, do you notice a more racy/sativa-type high from the earliest bud versus a more relaxed/indica-type high from the latest bud? despite whether the plant is sativa or indica-dom? I imagine there must be some sweet spot with each strain that you can only find by doing that sort of harvest.

We had a power outage during lights-on that lasted about 2 hours a couple of nights ago. I took the opportunity to take some photos with a flash....show the girls in a little more natural light. They're coming up on 6 weeks here in a couple of days. Pistols on the Gelato are starting to brown and bury into the calyxes, so that one will definitely be the first to finish. The Gelato and Hulkberry both are starting to produce foxtails too, which I'm not too happy about, but always seems to happen in my tent.

Anyways, here's the photos:

Nice looking Jack..got one myself. I'm about a week ahead of you.
received_738554043307213.jpeg
received_968595500184002.jpeg

Nice looking Jack..got one myself. I'm about a week ahead of you.
Very nice.....My Jacks coming up on 5 weeks here in a couple days. Definitely a haze smelling pheno for sure!

Both of your Jacks look amazing....way frostier than mine. Mine's all pistils. It smells really good though....combines citrus, pine and skunk. I'm hoping my buds will swell up into those pistils at some point. Mine's by Seedsman. I have no idea about Seedsman breeding/genetics. This is my first run of a Seedsman seed.

Update - Day 115 - Day 49 of flowering

Ok, time to give an update. I've been too busy to do regular updates. With the exception of one recent problem, things are still going well. The buds are getting huge....far bigger than i was expecting. I have a fear of large buds going into the drying process, so I'm a little apprehensive now as I'm closing in on harvest.

The problem I discovered was bud rot (botrytis). In the picture below you can see browning sugar leaves in the top 2-3 inches of the bud. That's what alerted me. The plant was in the back so it was hard to take a close look. I rotated the plant to the front and sure enough...bud rot...ugh. I trimmed about 5-6 inches off that bud and the area below looks clean, so I'm hoping I got it all.

I don't see any on any of the other buds or plants, but I'll have to keep a close eye. The plants are just too big and bunched up, so hard to get good air circlulation. It's kind of surprising though to see the bud rot at the very top like that. Anyways...hope I got it all and don't see any more.

Here's some more pictures of the plants:

And some shots of the buds (almost impossible to get got photos in HPS lighting).

Back
Top Bottom