420 Magazine Background

Motafina Winter 2021: Peyote Zkittles, Blue Dream, Royal Cookies, Wedding Gelato

MotaFina

This will be my Winter 2021 grow featuring the following strains:

Wedding Gelato - Royal Queen Seeds
Royal Cookies - Royal Queen Seeds
Blue Dream - Humboldt Seeds Organization
Peyote Zkittles - <not a 420 mag sponsor>

Here's a summary of my grow style:
Environment: Indoors, 4x4 tent, 2x6" inline fans (intake and extraction), 3xCircular fans
Medium: Supersoil - based on Coast of Maine Stonington blend, then ammended similar to Sub Cool's recipe
Lighting:
- Seedling/early veg - CFLs
- Veg/Early Flower - 400w MH
- Flower - 1000w HPS
Nutrients: Nectar for the Gods, ACTs, possibly others
Techniques: topping twice with some as yet undetermined LST training

Today is day 32 from seed and day 18 of veg. The plants are currently in 1-gal plastic pots.

Without further ado, here are the ladies:

Seedlings:

Pictures from yesterday:

This is a Damnesia seedling that was damaged after sprouting. It had severe 'helmet head' and probably would have perished without intervention. My attempt at surgery caused the whole top to become detatched - basically a beheading. Still, this plant is so ridiculously resilient, it has managed to survive and could potentially do well in the end.

MotaFina

Nice Strains, been wanting to grow the famous BlueD for a while to try and she looks great above u can just see the character in her grow :yummy::high-five:
Hi indochronic....thanks for stopping by. This Blue Dream plant is starting off with a really light green color and relatively broad leaves. Maybe she's taking on more of her indica genetics.

indochronic

No problem, ignore the blank comment :laugh::48: Yea so it seems, that structure just reminds me of old school genitics, chunky, uniform strong growing ladies:yummy:
heard its not loved as much couse of its Thc weakness but my fav strain Candy Kush is a cross of BlueD and its just a great taste imo. Im wondering if that flavours coming from the BlueD.
is it a easy grower with good yields or ?

Last edited:

MotaFina

No problem, ignore the blank comment :laugh::48: Yea so it seems, that structure just reminds me of old school genitics, chunky, uniform strong growing ladies:yummy:
heard its not loved as much couse of its Thc weakness but my fav strain Candy Kush is a cross of BlueD and its just a great taste imo. Im wondering if that flavours coming from the BlueD.
is it a easy grower with good yields or ?
My experience with BD is limited....one grow to be exact. And that one was probably not representative of the strain. I documented the grow ...you can browse it if you want....it's the '7th grow' in my signature. The pheno was an oddball, with results, from what I understand, that you'd expect from the Dr. Grinspoon strain. The buds were long and stringy...not much to look at. But in the end, it's one of our favorite strains to smoke. Great aroma, taste and high.

So, I'm very curious to see what I'll get this time. I searched around a little and found a few other reports of this same pheno in BD grows, but I'm guessing it's a low percentage. I'm really hoping this grow produces the chunky buds that you see in most BD grows. The curious thing too, is that there's no way to tell how the buds will turn out until flowering is under way. In veg it just looked like any other plant.

MotaFina

What final pot size will you use ?
Ever tried Coco Coir as a medium ?
"32 from seed and day 18 of veg"... When do you start counting "veg" ? after 2 weeks from seed ?
Final pots will be 7-gal plastic. If I decide to keep the Damnesia, it'll probably finish in a 3-gal pot. I'll be up-potting this weekend to 3-gal pots.

No, I've never tried coco. I do see the benefits of it....faster growth, easier to adjust to problems, etc. But soil seems to work OK for me. I also have an interest in soil biology, so I like to think that I'm growing with the help of microbes. Not sure really how true that is though.

Yeah, the length of my seedling stage seems to be getting longer with each grow. I see different opinions on when to consider the start of veg. Most say it's when you see the 'first set of true leaves'. I think with this grow, I was waiting for a Sour Diesel seed to pop and then had the 'helmet head' incident with the Damnesia. So I just picked a day arbitrarily to call first day of veg.

indochronic

Yea id love to see it like u said with nice big colourful buds on the plant, its on the list for sure, have never tried Humbolt either so hopfully things turn out.
I try to do the same with soil aswell and work with the soil and even try reusing soil in the same pot but it doent work great with me. coco id like to try for sure to see the over all turn out.

BluePhoric

Growing in 7gal allows for less frequent watering, I'm sure.
Do you use tap water ? Do you let it sit at room temp for 24h ?

Could you use your MH lamp from early seedling stage for faster growth ?
If you have a dimeable ballast on the 400w MH, you could even run it at 300W power or something...

Coco... I couldn't go back to organic soil. I liked the Idea of organic soil for organic results... but not sure the end product is really different or better. I like using cheap hydroponic powdered nutes, they work surprisingly well.

I like smaller pots, I've grown quite big plants in 2 gal pots... I think the plant loves wet/dry cycles alternating faster between water/oxygen. But smaller pots means watering more often.

I went with 3gal pots this time, in the hope of watering a little less frequently (my grow space is extremely dry). Obviously, watering everyday or every other day is a chore. Watering with coco also means mixing nutrients and CalMag, adjusting PH, filling a new bucket of water, every time, so it's a lot of work. Then again, at some point in organic soil, you kinda end up doing all that stuff I suppose, except maybe for the CalMag addition.

I really like the looks of your PeyoteZkittles plant... I think she will be a great strain !

BP

MotaFina

Do you use tap water ? Do you let it sit at room temp for 24h ?
This grow I'm using tap water. We have chloramine in our water so letting it sit out won't help. I do typically use 'Prime', which is a fish aquarium treatment to remove both chlorine and chloramine. Using it makes me consider my grows to NOT be truly organic due to the chemical in Prime. I wonder really though how damaging the small amount of chloramine is to the micros.
Could you use your MH lamp from early seedling stage for faster growth ?
I don't have a dimmer on my balast. It's a really old setup. The CFLs do fine though. I think the environment must have something to do with the slow seedling growth. My summer grow (warmer, moister) seems to always do better than the winter grow, especially in the early stages.
I really like the looks of your PeyoteZkittles plant... I think she will be a great strain !
Yeah, she's compact but has nice structure. The Wedding Gelato and Blue Dream are both about twice as tall as the Zkittles and Cookies. It'll be a challenge to get an even cannopy.

Last edited:

MotaFina

Quick update with photos. Today is day 30 of veg, day 44 from seed. For the most part, the plants are looking fine.

Tent:

Plants:

Some weird growth on the Damnesia. The first three nodes were normal, with two branches, but the fourth node has three branches. Then above that the nodes start alternating.

MotaFina

Update Day 54 - Day 40 of veg:

I'm moving into the final week or two before flip. I've completed the 2nd topping of all plants except the Damnesia. I'll be transplanting into the final pots in a couple of days. All will go into 7-gal plastic pots, except the Damnesia, which will finish in the 3-gal pot. I haven't seen any preflowers yet. I typically try to wait until I see preflowers on all plants before I flip, but we'll see how that goes.

Here's some photos:

MotaFina

I'm seeing preflowers now on the Royal Cookies and Wedding Gelato. I just finished transplanting to 7-gal pots. I ran out of supersoil on the third pot, so I had to improvise. I mixed up some Stonington blend with some WC and compost and added some dry ferts. I'll have to keep track to see if there's any difference.

Royal Cookies and Peyote Zkittles got full supersoil
Wedding Gelato got about 1/2 supersoil and 1/2 of the Stonington blend
Blue Dream got all Stonington blend

All the plants had great root systems - well on their way to being rootbound. So transplanting was timely.

MotaFina

Update - Day 62 from seed - Day 48 veg:

I'm seeing preflowers now on the Damnesia and Blue Dream. The Peyote Zkittles is too hard to get to so I haven't looked real hard on that one yet. But regardless, it's time to flip them. I reset the timer last night to 12/12, running from 6 PM to 6 AM.

It's looking crowded in there:

Next up will be defoliating lower branches in about a week and then installing the 1000w HPS in about two weeks.

MotaFina

Nice looking bud and a good pic looks tastie :yummy: never had this strain before is it a fruity good high ?
The first one I grew had some fruitiness to it...like grape juice for sure. This one is way more earthy and dank. Hits quick and hard...great for tripping on music. You hear every note.

Top Bottom