Mother, Germination & Small Batch Combination Station

Air flow isn't on the chart, but it's no different than before.

Air comes in through the bottom void, through a small furnace filter on the back. That will be approximately 6" tall, 24" long, and 1" thick. So air gets pulled into the bottom void, and into the various intake configurations for each grow space.

It can then be vented into the bottom of the main grow space and the small grow space, and then for the upper small grow space it would be through a length of pvc pipe up through the vertical void. That pipe would go through a grommet between the floor of the vertical void, thus keeping the seal for the exhaust. (Probably not really needed, but would hate for a leak in the seal between the exhaust and electrical to fail, and then start exhausting air directly from the bottom void.

So effectively, intakes for each grow space will be towards the bottom of each individual space, and towards the front side of the cabinet. The exhaust will pull from the top of each space, and be towards the back side of the cabinet. On the small space exhausts, I may make the pipe longer to pull from what would be the opposite corner (but at the top) of each one. Thus preserving cross-ventilation.

When the void went all the way across, it wasn't as tricky, but this is still quite doable for sure.

I'll have some time later to maybe draw up an airflow diagram.

The following is reference only, and not a building blue print. For general reference of airflow only:

custom-cabinet2-airflow.jpg

This is the basic, quick and dirty concept. Blue arrows are intake, red arrows are exhaust.

I didn't show the path on the top view for this one, as I was in a hurry. But obviously the exhaust is all connected to the back exhaust part of the vertical void.

Passive intakes in the bottom, front, left corner of each space. Passive exhaust in the top, back, right corner of each space. Pipe across the top of the small spaces to create the cross flow. Could instead use a pipe on the bottom, but at the top would be up and out of the way, so that's what I'm thinking on that.

It shows two exhaust fans but only one would be in operation at a time. As that's probably overkill, will need a way to either bypass or add/remove filter as required. PVC could be an option, but not really in practice. Have ya seen the price of a 6" valve? Yeah... you could buy 5 or 6 of the good AC Infinity of Hyperfan exhaust fans for the price of a valve. LOL

Not doing that!

A disconnect of some type for the filter would be better, or just say screw it and run through the filter all the time. Disconnect would be best, as there is plenty of time where the filter isn't necessary.

Thinking on the ventilation a little bit. Specifically the small grow spaces.

With the door to that on the front now, I could raise the floor of the lower small space 1". I could then move the right wall in 1". What have we done here? Made a small void for the intake! For all it matters, I could just add 2" onto the cabinet width and make it through there. Not like the cabinet isn't going to be a little over 8' anyway, as the measurements above are usable space (give or take) anyway. So add the board widths and what not, and it's a little longer/wider/taller anyway.

Taking an inch would still leave enough room for 3 trays (which are 10" wide), and however I add it on it would still better accommodate the cross ventilation. It would also remove the need for a pipe extension on the top exhaust, and put the ventilation locations back to where they would have been (in general) with the first one.

Had another idea. Not sure of the particulars yet, but would move the vertical void to the right end instead of the middle.

custom-cabinet3.jpg

Still 3 pieces put together. Allows for easier access to equipment. Ventilation would still be into the bottom void, into the grow spaces, etc. Not 100% sure how the exhaust for the small areas would be, but could use a void on top for that maybe. Or at least on the back wall at the top 3" or something. Wouldn't cut much out.

Would also have to think wire runs through as well.

For the exhaust, will have to think through light pollution too.

Ventilation on the small cabs: add 2" to the width (up to 34"), and raise the floor 2" of the bottom one. (maybe also raise the floor of the top one too, to keep spaces equal.)

Draw air underneath, blah blah.

Another option would be air intakes on the right side, one for each space. Would add more filters though.

While the component layout is good, I would need longer cords, which could be an issue. Also the ventilation would be tricky.

Might have to go back to the previous revision.

What method(s) are you going to use to feed/water your plants in each chamber?

Unless you plan on using a recirculating hydroponics setup that 8" raised floor in your main chamber is really wasted height. If you use a recirculating hydroponics setup that 8" is useful to add depth to your reservoir, and for the return line plumbing. A 4" X 8" plenum in the back of the main chamber will allow multiple points of entry for fresh air.

Both intake and exhaust can easily be handled by a center ventilation setup. All electrical, and plumbing will also fit in that space. You shold also be left with enough storage for nutrients, and your tools (pH & TDS/EC meters, trimming scissors, and more) in that center space. Something else to consider is where your exhaust will exit the cabinet. If you come from the top, the ducting will need to be run between your floor joists unless you get creative. If you exit from the back, the cabinet will need to be set away from the basement wall.

What method(s) are you going to use to feed/water your plants in each chamber?

This cabinet would see everything from hand watering to RDWC, dutch buckets, maybe even a flood table. Anything is possible.

Remember, this isn't going to be my primary grow space, but my secondary. The one where I also do a lot of tinkering and experimentation.

Even IF I wasn't going to use the RDWC, that bottom void is important on many levels.

It's where I can run plumbing, like a floor drain or whatever. It's the main point of intake for air, and where the air filter lives.

I agree an additional 8" of space would be nice, but at 6'10" it still has a good bit of room, and right there with a Gorilla tent out of the box.

Plus being on a concrete floor, without insulating the bottom of the cabinet it will help keep the air nice and cool.

Now for exhaust, that's still TBD. The easiest would be to exhaust through the back. But that also could be a sore spot with humid air if it were ever against something other than a concrete wall. Even then, don't really want to deal with mildew or other things either.

Back
Top Bottom