Mother of Berries, M.O.B. Maine Strain

Thank you for all the help! Screenshotting charts, etc. I’m now considering having a soil sample tested at one of the universities around here it’s has a varying fee scale depending on what your looking for.

I’d love to get into hydro, in-fact I think I may have even mentioned it at some point in the process. The problem is my landlord is a dink and bitches frequently about heat/water and any other type of usage he has to pay for you can think of. Though I suppose I could buy a ton of distilled water and go from there. 10 gal at Walmart is about 9 bucks (.88 per) I like the idea of faster response times from the plants. Waiting to see what does and doesn’t work in soil is kind of a pain in the ass. I did follow your advice with epsom salt and water in a spray bottle and did apply to lower leaves and now we wait and see. Hydro is on the brain and will probably start planning for it as the next grow takes shape and go after that.

I’ve eyeballed some “aero gardens” the last few months and looked at some of the reservoir setups and attachments and really appreciated some of the mods people have done to maximize their functionality and really have some decent grows especially for being so small/micro.

Cherry Pie
A47F641D-C1A8-44B5-9FC3-7258A05BF109.jpeg

D170C90C-DD7E-4A4E-97E7-09869934914C.jpeg

Skunk Kush (big)
ED8411D9-73B5-4AF0-BF23-1E4E7F97C2B9.jpeg

7034726F-6BA9-48BD-BEBC-8A8DC51EFC91.jpeg

Skunk Kush (small)
21475B94-55E6-475C-BF01-9CB3938FC870.jpeg

Having mentioned your constraints under the elderly landlord, it might be best to stay in the dirt till that relationship changes, albeit a new landlord elsewhere or whatever. Perhaps a happy medium ground would be coco? As far as I know, coco predominantly utilizes drain to waste with about 10% runoff at each feeding, so the feeding process is a lot more similar to watering soil than hydro. Also, any grow style that involves the roots sitting in water for lengthy periods of time is a very high maintenance system because the roots are far more likely to contract pythium unless virtually every "i" is dotted and "t" crossed. If you've ever had the misfortune of dealing with pythium, you know that you have about a 2 week window to diagnose and properly treat or the plant will die maybe about 90% of the time, but struggle to stay alive the other 10%.

I did the gallons of distilled from Wally's before and trust me that will get old really quick and the cost adds up equally fast. If it's not in your ability to get an RO unit, you'll quickly regret the choice to constrain yourself to distilled jugs. Maybe research your town/city's water supply and hopefully your EC levels aren't too high, but from what I'm reading, aside from chlorine and chloramine, public water is actually pretty good as most have a fair amount of calcium which is one of the harder elements to keep available in the water w/o proper chelation. Real quick, a chelate (key-late) is an organic acid that encases calcium and other ions and keeps them from bonding to other elements and falling out of availability. So having calcium already in the water is a good thing. I wonder if there is such a thing as a filter that pulls only chlorine and chloramine? That would be rad.

Im going to do some of that today and have toyed with the idea of coco. I previously mentioned something to yeti about some using coco pads at the bottom of their soil pots for greater assistance with drainage and aeration.

There are filters that can be used to get rid of chlorine anyways. I have heard of people using air stones in their water to help bubble out certain things. I see people that love growing in coco. The issue I would have is some people have to water multiple times a day. If that works for you then by all means do it up. Van stank has a good soil recipe he may be willing to share with you. he has mentioned having great success with it using only rain water. If you could collect rain water you could try that and see if it helps some. He went from having to feed with ACT teas pretty frequently to only using some liquid kelp and top dressings since he switched to rain water.

Please Forgive the appearance as I’ve been adding soil to cover stems and made a slight mess in doing so. Seeds are popping left and right.

Photo is with lamp off. Cups are separated by hemp rope in groups.
BAC46E78-A20A-4BB7-AA18-992E269790C3.jpeg

Left to right: “unknown skunk type” (gift), orange cream, Skunk kush

Keep an eye on the unknowns for dudes.

My understanding is that Ozone in the water will sterilize it, but kill the micro biological contents in the media. Ozone in the ventilation will burn out the odors most of the way. My mentor used Ozone generator before his carbon filters and never had an odor issue. I find that carbon alone works fine for my setup.

Stress Coat Plus, is a fish tank water conditioner that is purported to neutralize Chlorine and Chloramine from tap. Fish need to build a coat of slime for their own protection, and both chemicals prevent that, so that's the reason for it.

I pick it up, and use it when I remember, even though I can't really tell the difference. Roots look about the same, smells, aromas, high level tells... all 'seem' to be the same, but I do in it anyway. (when I remember lol)

Cherry Pie & MOB ... Is it the cut or seeds?

Stress Coat Plus, is a fish tank water conditioner that is purported to neutralize Chlorine and Chloramine from tap. Fish need to build a coat of slime for their own protection, and both chemicals prevent that, so that's the reason for it.

I pick it up, and use it when I remember, even though I can't really tell the difference. Roots look about the same, smells, aromas, high level tells... all 'seem' to be the same, but I do in it anyway. (when I remember lol)

Cherry Pie & MOB ... Is it the cut or seeds?

They are from seeds. Except we are way past MOB. I should really contact a mod and fix the name or something.

I have another tent with seeds popping left and ride with like 10 or 11 “skunks” that I got as a gift, 3 orange cream, and 10 skunk Kush. They have not all sprouted yet but more every day.

IDK if Mods can/will change the title. Most people just finish a journal and start another. Some though look at journals like checking accounts and prefer them to be well matured and many pages, lol. Whatever blows your hair back I guess. If you want to close a journal, just click the Report (bell) icon in lower left area, and tell the mods you're done. This may also be the way to request a title change, IDK, I never did that.

All business from the 9th is done. I’ll be on here more consistently. I’m checking out RO systems and wondering whether you fine gents can recommend anything.

All business from the 9th is done. I’ll be on here more consistently. I’m checking out RO systems and wondering whether you fine gents can recommend anything.

I got mine from Bulk Reef Supply, (self explanatory) but they're generally priced about $150. Mine's a 75 Gal Per Day. I got the one with Deionizing stage but the 0 ppm water I found was hard to buffer the PH and my readings bounded all over the map. Without the DI, my ppm is about 005 which is just right, and my PH is stable. I'm entertaining the thought of reconnecting the DI stage because I make my own nutes from salts and will make a better concentrate. To produce RO, it takes 5 gallons to make an RO gal and the other 4 are wasted. Because the plumbing on those units are 1/4" poly, you can literally tie into your house plumbing anywhere and easily snake the 1/4" tubing through the walls. It's good and rigid and you can get 25' of ir for around $4 from the Big Orange hardware store, Big Blue too. I tied into my plumbing, then ran the line to my RO, then to Veg and Bloom reservoirs and always have about 14 gallons in each ready for use. Get you some float valves with the little white buoys, one for each master res you want to have. FYI, it's the same tubing used on refrigerators that uses push connect fittings so just cut to length and push into the fitting. Depending on usage, you're supposed to change the filters every year. I know that because I just changed my filters after 3 years and had to look in the datasheet for instructions, and learned there I was 2 years too late. The first stage looked like Yoo Hoo milk.

IMO, any brand or number of stages is fine, just as long as you get near 0 ppm. You'll get more life out of your filters if you plumb in a cheap inline filter before the RO system. That's still on my wish list, but haven't got around to it.

Sorry for the delay. Start getting stuff to build cob boards in a week or two, probably going to need some tips and pointers along the way. Looking at some of the RO stuff at the same time. I got rid of big plants in favor of growing a bunch of smaller pots (biodegradable root pouch 2 gal)

E566730A-4EAA-4BC8-A27F-17E940982871.jpeg

I have some more seeds waiting to pop, just moved after tap roots popped. If you’ve visited the cob section hosted by sweet sue you’ll be familiar with the cobatron and I’ve been using that same concept to get my plants going and works really well.
A9186975-DA3A-4E51-BCBB-9D828CFD655F.jpeg

E566730A-4EAA-4BC8-A27F-17E940982871.jpeg
A9186975-DA3A-4E51-BCBB-9D828CFD655F.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom