Move to california or take a trip to Amsterdam?

GanjaMan417

I've been debating on this ever since I got back from california and I need other peoples opinions and advice.. What do you guys think would be a better/ smarter move.. with all the money I'm saving up should I use it all on a move to california OR get my own place around where I'm at right now and be able to do what I love again which is grow for personal use and with the other half of the money take a much needed trip to Amsterdam, netherlands?? I'm now starting to lean more towards staying here and taking a trip to amsterdam.. I mean later on I could always move out to california right?? even though I fell in love with it out there and feel I could accomplish so much more living there.

I'd like to hear other peoples opinions if any of you guys have the time. Thanks :allgood: :cool:

Amsterdam Amsterdam AMSTERDAM!!!!!!! lol

definatley take the trip mate, is a really really good experience. I am going back in May next year and hopefully every year after that. I loved every minute of the five days I was there this year. Have got some pics I could post too.

flights are really cheap from here tho.

yea california is definatly a nice place but if I made that move out there I prob would never be able to take my trip to Amsterdam.. and I agree I think it would we an awesome experience I just don't have anyone to go with.. haha most of friends don't have the money to go and I'd like to take a trip there in the spring or fall..

Mattman how long did you stay in Amsterdam and whats an estimate of how much it ran you? I've really been looking into maybe renting an apartment in Amsterdam for a week or so or I could just wait until the next cannabis cup in november and get a travel package/ deal.. by then I should have enough money maybe travel to a couple of other places.

I went for five days and did it on a budget. Stayed in a very basic hotel/hostel, was good enough for its purpose (sleeping) not that I did much. Digs cost me 27Euro a night with breakfast incl.

Apartments vary depending on how many are going but you can get really good deals.

While I was there I spent about 500 euros, 100 a day (not sure what your exchange rate would be). Wa just about enough but a bit more money would be a good idea. We walked everywhere and the good thing is its ALL flat. trams run all day and cost about 1.60Euro for a single trip but you can get a week long travel pass (not sure of cost).

Give me a shout if you want more info. got a list of coffee shops to visit aswell as the touristy things to do.

If you are planning on visiting a few places while in Europe Scotland is a must.

My first response is to say hAmsterdam, however, you live in the Great Lakes area, which if I am not mistaken, is cold a lot of the time. In Cali, the weather is comparatively moderate.

This week, where I live, it will be around 53.1°F/1.7°C, damp and cloudy, all week long. I personally consider this to be too cold, and don't go outside much.

If I am not mistaken, much of the country(US), is having really severe winter weather, right now. 53.1°F compared to blizzards, is no question for me.

Having said that, traveling abroad is THE, best thing you can do for yourself, as a person. It radically changes your perspective of the world with regards to size, and just how small we are in it.

And if you can't find someone to go with you, go alone. Don't let the opportunity pass.

Apparently they have greatly reduced the number of business running in the "Red Light District", and many of the coffee houses have followed. It could be that they are overrun with pervs, and stoners. Or, the rest of the world,(specifically the US), has finally started coming around to some of the original ideals behind the liberal laws of Amsterdam. ie: Medical MJ. Obviously, this would reduce the number of tourists(and deadbeats), that frequent the city.

If it's cheaper living where you are now, and you stayed there, you could probably afford not only Amsterdam, but even more frequent visits to Cali.

yeah make a well-informed decision. it is beyond expensive to live in california. depending on where you live you can BUY a house for 1000 month and in California that wouldn't be enough for the taxes. if you have a career and are going to make good money in california then cool, move and do your thing. but if you are not making 75k a year now then do think hard. its a beautiful place but is it nice enough to be broke?

too expensive for me :cheesygrinsmiley:

yea I've always talked about how the weather is perfect for me and when I finally went out here to visit I knew california was the place for me but then again the cost of living here is half if not less than it is where I'd like to move to which is around the south bay area possibly east bay. I could get an apartment in california and pay as much or more a month for what I'd pay for a pretty nice house here and live with some friends. But I'm just stuck because this is a pretty big decision I've always wanted to go to Amsterdam so why not take a vacation to Europe now?? I just want to be able to live comfortably and not end up living on the streets after a year in california :Rasta: Maybe I could make a move out there when some of my other friends are ready because it's definatly a lot cheaper to live with other people.

but if you are not making 75k a year now then do think hard. its a beautiful place but is it nice enough to be broke?
A wise warning. I am a poor person. And I am currently near disaster. But it sure is beautiful here. And the mellow vibe is sweeeet. hehehe

Unless you are a HIGHLY skilled professional, life here can be tough. It's not so bad under a democratic government. Back then(under Clinton), you had your choice of jobs. And people competed to try and get you to work for them. I call those days, "the happy times." :cheesygrinsmiley:

I could get an apartment in California and pay as much or more a month for what I'd pay for a pretty nice house here and live with some friends. But I'm just stuck because this is a pretty big decision Maybe I could make a move out there when some of my other friends are ready because it's definitely a lot cheaper to live with other people.
Dude, I pay $750 per month, for a 12ft x 15ft, free-standing cottage/shack.
You can imagine that trying to impress a woman under such circumstances, can be awkward.

However, it is likely that any girl(or guy) you'd be interested in, would be living in a tiny space also, or with friends.

When I first moved here, I replied to newspaper ads, and moved in with a total stranger. It sucked, and only lasted 6mo. From there, to a different total stranger, and I didn't like that too much either. It was then that I vowed that I would pay whatever it took, to live by myself. It took a lot of effort and a very good rental record, before I found the right one.

Generally, one can expect to pay out more than 50% of your monthly income, on rent, out here in Cali. Before I moved here, it was approximately 25% of my income.

If you are good at living in groups, it's a little cheaper. In theory, you could share a 3 bedroom HOUSE, and still pay $700 or $800 pm. Maybe it's cheaper for apartments. (I checked. It would be about $100 cheaper.)

Sorry, I just tried something new called Rhino Wreck, and before ya knew it, I started rambling.

So I will leave you with that. Good access to things like Rhino Wreck, Whitewidow, Jack Harar, and Pot-of-gold, just to name a few, are the hard-to-resist reasons, for living out here.
I bet it's REALLY cold where you are right now too. hehehe It's unusually cold here right now. 51°F|11°C

I hope this blabbering helped.
peace

Stay put, book your trip to Amsterdam and have a memoriable trip....here in Cali we have a very over crowded neighborhood...5th largest economy, yet no health coverage for kids...border issue about to explode and the DEA up everyone's ass sniffing for MJ/MMJ. I'm a native and sad to say those things, because Cali is a righteous state to experience, but is becoming a hostile environment...turn on the news or read about what's going down here.

:grinjoint: thanks for all the input everyone. I'm looking into getting a place with some friends around here for right now and going to take my trip to amsterdam. I'm making another trip out to california this spring and just going to look at places and what not. My goal is to make a move out there maybe within in a year or so after I go to a tech school and get into some kind of trade you know?

Good luck on your journeys GanjaMan! Being from an environment with harsh winters myself, Cali is a very intriguing option, but I think you are making a wise decision on waiting to move until you have additional education under your belt.

I would move to California. I grew up in the Sacramento Valley, and since I've become an adult, I moved out of my parents' house and straight into the Santa Cruz, Monterey, Mendocino, Humboldt coastal areas and it's been just fabulous. There's the beach, surfing, and the bud is much cheaper here because most of it's locally grown.

Back
Top Bottom