Moving the plants

AliceGG

Hey there.
I've been planning to grow for several years, now I finally reached the point that I decided I'll go for it. This forum is really helpful, I read a ton of threads in the last few days but I still have a lot of questions in my head.
I rent a flat and live on my own. It's a flat with two rooms and I'm planning to grow my weed in the smaller room that I use as a storage room, I mostly "live" in the bigger living room. The two plants and all the necessary stuff will be put in a wardrobe inside that smaller room.
Now, the couple that I rent the flat from are nice people, they only show up once a month, I pay them and they leave. I've been here for quite a few years, they never ever checked anything so I'm not worried about them accidentaly discovering the plants (I live in Eastern Europe, it is, of course, illegal here). However, what I'm worried about is the smell. I know there are carbon filters and to be honest, probably even without those filters there wouldn't be much smell coming out from that room but I just want to make sure. So since I know exactly which day what time they come every month, I thought the simplest way to solve this problem would be to move my plants from the room out to my balcony, and shut the balcony door. I would have to do it a few hours before they come, because if I carry the plants through the whole flat, I assume their smell would stay there for some time.
The question is, will it stress out my plants? I'll grow autos, I don't have to worry about vegetative stage, it's only in flowering when odor can be a problem. I think they may have to be moved out to the balcony once in their whole lifetime for a few hours. What's the possible downsides? Will they be stressed due to the location change (which also changes the light they get, since I won't move my grow lights for sure)? Will pigeons try to eat it?
Any input is welcome! :)

Insense is a good alternative too for smell, or cook durring that time like curry or something stinky

Only issue, or big one, would be if they are in flower and yer light schedule is off, and they go outside in sun for a few hours, so plan for that aspect
Cold outside as well could hurt it a bit

Good luck

My experience with growing weed in my home does make it smell like weed. I don't smell it cuz I'm in it for many many hours at a time but my friends and family comment on it when they come over. Of course they know I'm growing. I had a carbon filter both times too. So be careful because people will know you are growing. That's just my two cents.

I've had people tell me when they come to my front door before it even opens they can smell it. I do believe cooking something with a strong smell could help. I think it just takes experimentation and somebody that doesn't live in the house to tell you if they smell it or not

It's going to smell like weed no doubt about it. I've had people comment they can smell fresh weed on my clothes when I go out. That's from using tent with the door open and not running the extraction fan. It smacks you in the face as soon as you open the door after work or being away for a few hours. Some strains smell more than others. Definitely cook something smelly before your guests arrive thats a great idea!

I use a product called ona gel. It eliminates the door immediately. But you don't want to put it anywhere near your plants. I use a carbon scrubber and there's still a faint smell of weed. When you open the tent there's no hiding the smell once they start flowering.

Thank you for your answers and tips. I'm fine with that if my friends will smell it, my only concern is the couple I rent the flat from. One of my friends doesn't smoke (not even cigarettes), I assume he has a properly working nose, so it's a good idea to invite him when I'm into flowering for a few weeks to see if he could smell it.
I think I should start with only one plant as my first grow and pay extra attention to everything. If nothing seems to work to eliminate the odor, I'll just tell them I'm not at home that week and I'll transfer the renting fee online.

@Killian
I've just checked it, I can buy Ona products here. Where should I put them if not next to flowers? Do these suck in odor from a given radius of space? I don't really know how they work.

No. It's just something to cover up the smell, but the people commenting are right. I would strongly recommend a tent. The carbon scrubbers are great. They work. Nothing is going to cover the smell of flowering or drying pot when you open the tent. The smell doesn't last forever, but it is strong and goes where ever it's blown. It sticks to your clothes. No reason to put it in the closet, if you aren't worried about visitors. One or two plants sounds sensible.

So are these tents hermetically closed? Is that why it's better than a simple wardrobe? Even medium sized tents cost a fortune, so I would only buy one if it really is superior opposed to a wardrobe.

No, but they do seem to be made for growing pot. There are vent holes to fit extractors and intake fans. If you have a carbon scrubber it will filter the air that is blowing out of the tent. Because it's pulling air out faster than the air coming in the negative pressure keeps the tent from leaking odor. There should be zippers to open up the sides and front. You can duplicate this in a closet, but it's not as easy as it looks. You have to constantly replace the air in your grow space, so you will need to run ducting from your closet. If you are growing photo plants, you will need to make sure the space has no light leaks.

You are right. Tents cost money. I got mine on sale for around £100. It's a 4x4 and very well made. I would recommend you get one that has lots of good feed back. I imagine a cheap tent is worse than useless.

I get it, so while the tent is zipped, there's basically no odor coming out.
As I said earlier, it would be only one day in the whole flowering period when I'd need to cover the odor. Do you think if I water the plants the previous evening, zip the tent, open the windows in that room and close the door, will it "disappear" for afternoon?

Thank you for your answers and tips. I'm fine with that if my friends will smell it, my only concern is the couple I rent the flat from. One of my friends doesn't smoke (not even cigarettes), I assume he has a properly working nose, so it's a good idea to invite him when I'm into flowering for a few weeks to see if he could smell it.
I think I should start with only one plant as my first grow and pay extra attention to everything. If nothing seems to work to eliminate the odor, I'll just tell them I'm not at home that week and I'll transfer the renting fee online.

@Killian
I've just checked it, I can buy Ona products here. Where should I put them if not next to flowers? Do these suck in odor from a given radius of space? I don't really know how they work.
I would put them in the living room. There an air freshener that is very strong. one would probably be enough to mask the door of your whole house. That's why I wouldn't put them near the plants for fear the buds would take on the smell of the ona gel.

If your main concern is your landlord, I'd make it a point to always pay online or if you're there when they come over then meet them outside with an envelope with your payment. Say hello and then walk to your vehicle like you're leaving.

If your main concern is your landlord, I'd make it a point to always pay online or if you're there when they come over then meet them outside with an envelope with your payment. Say hello and then walk to your vehicle like you're leaving.

Well, they are kind of "friends" of my mother, so I always invite them in, we normally chat for a few minutes and then they leave. I think it would be quite strange (mabye even suspicious) if I stopped them at the door from now on.

But paying online is a good idea, it crossed my mind too. It doesn't have to be always online payment, only when the place is stinky I may say I'm out for the weekend so I'll pay online.

I think there is a good 4 week during period during flowering when the smell is very pronounce. All of it revolves around opening the tent, which is unavoidable. Shut the door, open a window, use air freshener throughout is about all you can really do. If you are aware of it to the point of paranoia, I think you’ll be fine. It’s when you accept that its unavoidable, so why try is when you will have a bigger issue.

Could you run the exhaust from the grow space out a window?
Or set up a fan in the room to blow out a window?
That would keep the entire grow room at a slight negative pressure,and the smell wouldn't seep out into the rest of the house.

Just a thought...

Hey there.
I've been planning to grow for several years, now I finally reached the point that I decided I'll go for it. This forum is really helpful, I read a ton of threads in the last few days but I still have a lot of questions in my head.
I rent a flat and live on my own. It's a flat with two rooms and I'm planning to grow my weed in the smaller room that I use as a storage room, I mostly "live" in the bigger living room. The two plants and all the necessary stuff will be put in a wardrobe inside that smaller room.
Now, the couple that I rent the flat from are nice people, they only show up once a month, I pay them and they leave. I've been here for quite a few years, they never ever checked anything so I'm not worried about them accidentaly discovering the plants (I live in Eastern Europe, it is, of course, illegal here). However, what I'm worried about is the smell. I know there are carbon filters and to be honest, probably even without those filters there wouldn't be much smell coming out from that room but I just want to make sure. So since I know exactly which day what time they come every month, I thought the simplest way to solve this problem would be to move my plants from the room out to my balcony, and shut the balcony door. I would have to do it a few hours before they come, because if I carry the plants through the whole flat, I assume their smell would stay there for some time.
The question is, will it stress out my plants? I'll grow autos, I don't have to worry about vegetative stage, it's only in flowering when odor can be a problem. I think they may have to be moved out to the balcony once in their whole lifetime for a few hours. What's the possible downsides? Will they be stressed due to the location change (which also changes the light they get, since I won't move my grow lights for sure)? Will pigeons try to eat it?
Any input is welcome! :)

Here's my real life story. Last November (2017) a started a plant inside. It was in a cabinet (power vented to outside) that was in a closed room (also power vented to outside) in the basement. Just from going in and out of the room and cabinet, there was still enough smell leakage that it bothered my wife. My adult children came by and they could smell it from the front door.

I was nose blind and was frankly shocked at what they were saying. I thought I had it contained.

Its like tobacco smoke (and cannabis smoke) it attaches to surfaces - clothes, bedding, drapes, couches, carpets etc etc

Once this happens, there is no 'airing out the room' for a few hours and be odor free.

The plant was this big when it was smelly enough to cause all this.

Good luck.

Could you run the exhaust from the grow space out a window?
Or set up a fan in the room to blow out a window?
That would keep the entire grow room at a slight negative pressure,and the smell wouldn't seep out into the rest of the house.

Just a thought...

I will use an exhaust fan with a carbon filter to suck out air from the tent, but I can't really attach one to the window. However, I can set up a large fan to blow out air, that may help a bit.

@Oldbear
That plant isn't even flowering yet on the picture, can it really be that smelly? That's a new thing for me, I thought the smell is mostly coming from the buds.

Back
Top Bottom