Moving up pot sizes when cloning

farmertango

420 Member
How important is it that I gradually move up in pot sizes until I get to a 7 gallon pot? I want what’s best for the roots.

Normally I start off with a clone > humidity some > solo cup > 6” pot > 5 gallon fabric pot. Trying out 7 gallon fabric my next grow.

If you want to develop massive rootballs, then successive uppotting is required, no matter if you are working with a clone or a plant started from seed. If you restrict the roots in a small sized container until the plant is able to drain all the water you can give it, in a day, then you have built the most roots that your container can develop, and then it is time to move up to the next size. I would go solo to 1 gallon or so, then to 3 gallon, and then to 7... and only if you were really good at teasing water and causing roots to grow, you might consider going solo to 2 gallon, and then all the way to 7.

If you want to develop massive rootballs, then successive uppotting is required, no matter if you are working with a clone or a plant started from seed. If you restrict the roots in a small sized container until the plant is able to drain all the water you can give it, in a day, then you have built the most roots that your container can develop, and then it is time to move up to the next size. I would go solo to 1 gallon or so, then to 3 gallon, and then to 7... and only if you were really good at teasing water and causing roots to grow, you might consider going solo to 2 gallon, and then all the way to 7.
Thanks you’re the best!

So many ways. You just gotta fak around to see what works best for you. Just make sure your plant is root bound before you transplant. I hated solo cups because of the drying speed. I plug my clones right in 1gal now. They chill for awhile and then get into 7gal where they stay.

These plants went from 1gal to 7gal and were immediately flowered, no veg time in 7gal.

Back
Top Bottom