Mr. Bubbles Brix Journal

mrbubbles87

Welcome Everyone!

After over half a year of learning and contemplation I'm finally ready to give Docs High Brix Kit a go. For those of you who don't know this is a mineralized soil with "brix" foliar sprays. If I recall correctly this is a method duplicating a wine vineyard. The goal is a high brix reading aka high sugar content. Not only is this supposed to provide superior organic produce but it's also supposed to increase overall plant health thus eliminating damage from pests. I say damage because as Docs says the plants will defend themselves.

I personally believe that the future of growing is organics. My experience in this area is very limited though. I have read multiple books and followed countless journals but I still feel like I haven't fully grasped the concept. Organics, specifically total living soil and mineralized soil, are like Alegebra to me. I read and read but it goes in one ear and out the other. I frequently find myself looking at various amendments like bone meal, blood meal, kelp meal, etc. I even know somewhat which ones to add and what brands are best but I don't understand how they work and I don't understand the proper ratios to add them.

I'm guessing a lot of you are like me. That's probably why docs kit is so popular on here lol. I'm hoping to use this kit as a stepping stone to not only learn how to grow the best medicine possible but also to get a better understanding of organic growing.

I'll be running this journal as a side project off of my regular perpetual journal. I want to try and document as much of the process as possible to not only help you guys but also to provide myself with a reference point for future grows.

OK so now that the huge intro is over let's get down to details. I'll be using half of my 4x8 grow tent. I plan to grow 4 plants in docs kit in 7 gal smart pots under a 600 watt hps. My plan is to go from my aerocloner to 1/2gal pot for approximately 2 weeks. Then I'll top and transplant to a 1 gal pot for another 2 weeks. To finish I'll go from the 1gal to the 7gal and go directly into flower. I may make adjustments to this plan based on Docs recommendations. For this run I plan to do everything exactly how he recommends and then future grows I can improvise.

I received my kit over the weekend. Less than 2 days shipping guys! At first I was concerned because my bottles were all frozen and the conditioner wasn't included. After corresponding with Doc I've found out the conditioner is now included in the amendment and the frozen product should still be fine.

In order to mix the soil I purchased 2 32 gallon garbage cans. Tubs or garbage cans were a huge dilemma for me. The garbage cans take less space but are difficult to mix in. Tubs take more room but are easier to mix in. Looking back I wish I would've gotten tubs because mixing the garbage can was tough. In the future I will get a compost tumbler instead. I highly recommend goggles and a respirator when mixing.

I was a little short on pro mix so I did a half batch by dividing the amendment bag in half. I also included about 10 lbs of wiggle worm castings. I will water the batch tonight with about 1.5 gal of water that's been sitting out for a few days. In the future I'll upgrade to an RO but Doc says I should be fine letting it sit out for now.

I just need to let this soil cook for 1 month and then away we go! :)

I haven't decided which strains to run yet. I have about 11 to choose from right now and might be ordering more soon.

There probably won't be another update on here until the soil is done. I just wanted to start right from the beginning.

Thanks for reading everyone!

Hey MrB.

I'd like to follow along if you don't mind. I've been interested in Doc's high Brix efforts and journals since my first day on this site.

Hey MrB.

I'd like to follow along if you don't mind. I've been interested in Doc's high Brix efforts and journals since my first day on this site.

Don't mind at all TanR :)

Anticipating your journay into high brix mrbub :) :goodluck:

It's been a long time in the making. Can't wait to get started. This is going to be a long month lol

A very loooong month! Sorry bro...just sayin :). Im glad i dont have to wait any more, well, thats not true either cuz now im waiting on my girl to get growing.
Youre gonna love the kit mr.b. After reading your intro i see youre gonna be on a veg schedule...if i may sir...dont give your veg time a "time" let the roots tell you when to transplant and flip to 12/12. The good thing about the kit is that you want a rootbound plant (almost) before the flip cuz then you get to see the explosion of growth once you go into a larger pot.
Good luck and welcome to high brix brother! :) :peace:

A very loooong month! Sorry bro...just sayin :). Im glad i dont have to wait any more, well, thats not true either cuz now im waiting on my girl to get growing.
Youre gonna love the kit mr.b. After reading your intro i see youre gonna be on a veg schedule...if i may sir...dont give your veg time a "time" let the roots tell you when to transplant and flip to 12/12. The good thing about the kit is that you want a rootbound plant (almost) before the flip cuz then you get to see the explosion of growth once you go into a larger pot.
Good luck and welcome to high brix brother! :) :peace:

Thanks for rubbing it in lol. Haven't started cooking yet. Have most the dry amendments mixed but need to pick up some more pro mix this weekend. Then I'll add the water and start the clock.

It would be much worse if this was my only grow. I'm actually more concerned a out having to veg too long because I have so many in my rotation. Almost time to shutdown the aero cloner for the first time lol.

New 7 gal fabric pots should be here soon! :) Going to be so nice going from 9 plants to 4 plants under that light.

I'm in!!!

Welcome! Take a seat it's gonna be a awhile lol.

Aloha brother..here for the show...I'd love to see that lemon thai kush run in kit soil!!

Aloha tavoso :)

Welcome to the show. A couple weeks left yet for my soil to finish. I am debating how to use cuttings. I have my perpetual with clones in an Aero cloner and then clones moved to Dixie cups after. I also have tons of plants vegging in 1/2 gal and 1 gal. All of these are in promix some with amendments and some without. Wondering which would be best for the Hb kit. Guessing either straight from the Aero cloner or Dixie cups in order to maximize veg time for the Hb plants.

Think I've narrowed down my first 4 to Agent O, wild thai, blue OG, and lemon Thai kush but that could change depending on timing lol.

Well guys I finally got a chance to try out the high Brix. My soil has been ready since 4/8 but I've been so busy and I was waiting for the right time to run these into my rotation.

At first I wasn't sure what plants to start with. Given my huge selection it was a really tough choice lol. Not only was I debating strains but also which state to introduce highbrix. I have clones in an aerocloner, seeds, freshly rooted clones in Dixie cups, and established clones in 1/2 gal pots. I wanted to get a plant on Brix as young as possible but didn't want the delays with seedlings and fresh cut clones so I opted for some rooted Dixie cup clones. These are in a basic soil with pro mix and compost. Hopefully this will be ok. I was worried that a plant under different nutrients prior to high Brix might not work as well but I figured some guys buy clones and have no idea what the prior nutrient schedule was.

I chose kerala x skunk #1 and Northern lights x skunk #1 for my guinea pigs. No particular reason just looked healthy :)

In order to transplant them from the Dixie cups I filled a 1 gal pot with high Brix soil. I added the rootzone to my Dixie cups hole and cut the roots at a 90 degree angle before adding the plant.

I then watered each plant with 2cups of transplant water. At first I was too dabbed out to calculate this but it's actually simple. I used a 1/4oz of transplant per 4 cups of water. I also sprayed the plants each with stress. I mixed 1/4 oz stress with 8oz of water. Had a ton leftover.

Doc if your reading should I make smaller batches of foliar sprays for 2 plants and will the spray last for next time? And finally would it be worth using the extra stress spray on other plants if I have to throw the extra anyways?

Now the girls are under a set of t12's in my veg tent. Prolly going to veg about 10 days and then off to the 7gal smart pot for flower :)

20140427_135834.jpg
20140427_135848.jpg
20140427_164832.jpg

Day 3 Pic Update

Sprayed them again with the same stress mix from Sunday. They look pretty good so far. Debating when to top them. Thinking either now or right before flower.

20140429_132339.jpg

Mrbub - I experimented with the outdoor topping and fimming right before/at the beginning of flower, and it made for a few 2-4 headed tops that should bunch up together to make a nice sized nugglet. Although, may be a little more susceptible to molds and mildew. Also unsure of the stress that was put on them right at the switch.

I would vote to top her, wait a week, then set her in flower.. at least for the first hb run anyways :Namaste:

Hope you are doing well buddy can't wait to talk about the cup with ya, been watching videos.. seems I missed out BIG TIME! :peace:

Are you planning to SCROG them?

I've actually been getting away from the Scrog recently. I've found I can achieve the same yields with less veg time and work by using bamboo stakes. I usually put one along the main stem and then a circle of stakes around the pot for the main tops. It's been working great and a lot less expensive plus less clutter in the tent. I have plenty of vertical space tho. If I didn't I'd be Scrogging :)

Ditto…

;)

Mrbub - I experimented with the outdoor topping and fimming right before/at the beginning of flower, and it made for a few 2-4 headed tops that should bunch up together to make a nice sized nugglet. Although, may be a little more susceptible to molds and mildew. Also unsure of the stress that was put on them right at the switch.

I would vote to top her, wait a week, then set her in flower.. at least for the first hb run anyways :Namaste:

Hope you are doing well buddy can't wait to talk about the cup with ya, been watching videos.. seems I missed out BIG TIME! :peace:

I'm thinking the same. Planning on topping around day 7 and moving to flower by day 14. We'll see what the plants say tho lol. Doc recommended a 10 day veg.

Can't wait to talk with you about the cup either bro! It was one of the best days of my life. We're planning to go every year now :)

I wouldn't top right before flower. I'd wait at least 2 weeks.
I agree. Doc recommended a pretty short veg time. He said to flower them at 10 in. Thinking I'll top day 7 flower day 14.

I have my first 5 gal cbd crew critical mass about ready to harvest along with another UltraSour. I'm waiting for these to finish in order to make room for the HB

Day 6

Haven't done anything since stress spray on day 3. They're looking pretty good. Debating topping them today. About to go over docs instructions to figure out what's next lmao

20140501_204923.jpg

Back
Top Bottom