Mr. Bubbles Brix Journal

Did a little tranplanting after harvesting a few of my regular plants last night. These went directly from 1/2 gal to 7 gal. I was much happier with the roots. I also moved a few 1/2 gal to 1 gal. Planning to veg these for at least a few more weeks.

The 7 gal will go into flower tonight. Going to try a wild thai and critical mass :)
20140607_140501.jpg

20140607_140852.jpg
20140607_140929.jpg
20140607_141843.jpg

Update for you guys on where I'm at right now. I'm up to 5 7 gal high brix plants in flower now with the oldest a round 3 weeks. I have quite a few plants in veg also running the kit. This thing really stretches guys. For $80 I'm blown away by how many plants this can take care of. I'm quite confident I'll even have some stuff left over once I've gone through all the soil. I'd love to get another kit and get cooking but I'm planning a big move in the next couple months and 2 garbage cans full of soil wouldn't fit in the uhaul (trust me I've considered it lol). I have to say I'm sold on high brix. The plants are super healthy, its a very simple kit, affordable, and it gives you a lot more confidence. The instructions are the most intimidating part. It's kind of like buying an entertainment center from the department store and trying to read the manual on how to put it together. It looks so complicated but after its done you look at it and realize how simple it is because you can see the whole picture.

I'll try to post a pic update in the next few days. Thanks for following guys! :Namaste:

Update Day 52 (Flower Day 25)

Hit a little road bump. My HPS bulb finally went out on me. Its a year old so it was expected. I don't have a backup on hand so I had to use one of my metal halide bulbs instead. Of course this shouldn't hurt the girls any but unfortunately I'm a dumbass and left the timer on the on vs timer setting so my light was on for 2 days straight!!! I've done some searches online and come across a few similar cases where there weren't any negative effects but I know there's a risk of hermies or at least stress at the very least.

Honestly though guys I've been having a few seeds here and there for awhile. It's not really a big deal for me to pick a few seeds out when the bud is still primo. I think the culprit is light leaks on the tents but I could be wrong. I'm working towards narrowing it down to see if its a specific strain. Right now it only happens to a few plants which is nothing when I'm running as many at a time as I am. It really makes me wonder how a large size commercial operation running multiple strains is able to prevent seeds. I mean you could get 1 male flower on an entire plant. How the hell are you going to spot that out of 1000 plants? I realize you make sure your using stable genetics, environment, etc.. but I've heard it can still happen.

All of my plants look very healthy still especially the high brix so hopefully I fixed it in time. I will be getting a new bulb soon but may have to rely on the MH for abit. I have 3 brand new ones so minds well use them if I can get similar results as my HPS plus the plants in the middle are getting a mixed spectrum.

In the meantime it means I can actually take a few decent pics for you guys. I don't take the girls out of the tent and taking pics under the HPS even with my white balance changed isn't even worth the time. Sorry the pics today aren't the greatest. They're actually from a few nights ago when I had to changed the bulb. I should be able to post some better ones by tomorrow.

I've got a total of 7 HB plants in flower now. They include Kerala x Skunk, 2 Northern Light X Skunk, Wild Thai, Critical Mass, and Blue Blood. All of them are at various ages but the oldest are the original 2 which are on flower day 25. After getting some advice from Graytail I gave the oldest flowering girls their first feeding since the transplant water when they were moved to the 7gal. The feed water was very simple I just added 1/2 oz of Energy and 2.5 ml of tea to 1 gal of water. I then divided that feed water into 5 gals of water. It ended up being 2 cups per gal. Then I gave each plant 1 gal of this mixture. I also applied the recharge but only to the 2 oldest girls. I measured it out and ended up calculating 8 plants would get 1/4 cup of recharge ea. I will be giving them a watering next and then onto 2 cat drenches :)

(Thanks again for the advice Graytail!)

Now my next dilemma is a soil shortage. I have 7 more 1/2 gal plants in HB soil. 3 of them are Bubba Kush and are ready for flower while the other 4 are new strains that need a couple months of veg. I also have about 12 clones in dixie cups full of HB soil too. I only have enough soil left for 1 more 7 gal smart pot with a few gals leftover. I haven't ordered another kit yet because I'm planning to move around September and I don't want to haul 60 gals of soil with me. My plan is to have everything harvested by then and only have a few small plants vegging that I can take with me to continue my strains and shorten my startup time at my new location. As much as it pains me to say I'm wondering if it will be ok to take plants vegging in HB soil and put them in my promix/compost soil instead for flower? Also, I realize that many of the components of the kit are geared towards the HB soil only but I'm wondering which ones can be used in normal soil too. I have tons of nutrients leftover from my kit! I've found most plants respond really well to the stress spray. Mainly I'm thinking the Energy and Tea would work in any soil. I could be completely wrong though lol

20140616_191929.jpg
20140616_205101.jpg
20140616_205107.jpg
20140616_205118.jpg
20140616_205130.jpg

Energy and Tea will work in any soil - it's just calcium nitrate and microbiota.

It's primarily the minerals, and the balance they produce in the soil, that the ProMix/compost will lack. The biota won't be as active and the De-stress and Transplant won't fully function. Cat drench is ill-advised in non-high brix soil. You might consider ordering another batch of amendment and cutting it into individual portions - mix a pot at a time. I've "cooked" soil in the pot with the plant. The first 2 weeks can be iffy because there's a toxic mineral reaction that occurs in early cooking, but it never really hurt one of my plants - just stalled 'em a week or so. I've probably transplanted into uncooked soil three times now. If not, you can still drive them with Energy and Tea. If you can't cook more soil, you can't cook more soil. *shrug*

Your girls look great! I never thought about pollen in a commercial room. When I daydream about a big operation, though, I tend to think of several individual units instead of one big room, because of pathogens and pests, etc. The same thing would apply to hermies, too. And with more walls, you get better reflection.

Got my fingers crossed for you on the lighting issues. :Namaste:

Energy and Tea will work in any soil - it's just calcium nitrate and microbiota.

It's primarily the minerals, and the balance they produce in the soil, that the ProMix/compost will lack. The biota won't be as active and the De-stress and Transplant won't fully function. Cat drench is ill-advised in non-high brix soil. You might consider ordering another batch of amendment and cutting it into individual portions - mix a pot at a time. I've "cooked" soil in the pot with the plant. The first 2 weeks can be iffy because there's a toxic mineral reaction that occurs in early cooking, but it never really hurt one of my plants - just stalled 'em a week or so. I've probably transplanted into uncooked soil three times now. If not, you can still drive them with Energy and Tea. If you can't cook more soil, you can't cook more soil. *shrug*

Your girls look great! I never thought about pollen in a commercial room. When I daydream about a big operation, though, I tend to think of several individual units instead of one big room, because of pathogens and pests, etc. The same thing would apply to hermies, too. And with more walls, you get better reflection.

Got my fingers crossed for you on the lighting issues. :Namaste:

Thanks for the great tips as usual Graytail! Check your inbox :)

Update Day 56 (Flower Day 29)

Things are going great guys! We're up to a total of 9 plants in high brix flowering after putting 2 more bubba kush in last night. I'm still running the MH with no problems. Might even harvests a few under it just for fun. I will be getting a new HPS bulb eventually though lol.

Graytail did catch that I was missing extra worm casting when I applied the recharge. Luckily I recently discovered a local hydro store. Let me tell you guys I never imagined there'd be a hydro store in my town. Apparently its been there for years. It was AWESOME! They had every single product I've seen online for growing including Wiggle Worms EWC for $13 for a 15 lb bag. Some products were a little more expensive than online but you definitely can't beat the convenience.

I ended up applying approximately 3lbs of EWC for ea of the my 2 oldest plants. Graytail recommended 1/2 lb per gal container. I should be applying the EWC and recharge to 4 more plants in another week.

Anyways here's a few pics fow now. I'm really starting to see what all the rave is about. These are by far the easiest and healthiest plants I've grown! :D

This is right after spraying them with stress. This first one is my Kerala Krush. The second is my Northern Light x Skunk. The final pic is a group of 6 HB on the right (furthest row: NLxSK and Kerala; middle row: Critical Mass and Wild Thai; Closest row: Kerala Krush and Blue Blood) with a few of my other plants peaking in lol
20140619_194021.jpg

20140619_194033.jpg
20140619_194307.jpg

looking good!

Dude don't use energy in another soil. I did it completelyruined 2 plants. Ask doc he's said it a million times. That calcium ratio in another soil will destroy your grow. 10/1 is what we want. Only one soil amendment can achieve that. Now stress is another thing u can use that.good luck on the move.

Dude don't use energy in another soil. I did it completelyruined 2 plants. Ask doc he's said it a million times. That calcium ratio in another soil will destroy your grow. 10/1 is what we want. Only one soil amendment can achieve that. Now stress is another thing u can use that.good luck on the move.

Thanks for the info! Was kind of thinking the same. I've read so much on docs different forums. I'm coming up with questions that hes answered multiple times but I can't remember where to find the answers. Searches rarely work so I get to look like an a idiot and keep asking the same questions that he's already answered a million times before. Really can't wait for him to get a website going for the kit.

So far I've had a lot of success using the Transplant, Tea, and Stress spray on my plants in normal soil. Unfortunately these are the products I have the least left. One thing to note for people looking at the kit is the ratios are off. Meaning you will have TONS of energy and brix left but hardly any tea, transplant, or stress. This really complicates things when doc and others are using transplant in between Energy feedings and in late bloom. I've been told you can order parts of the kit or request different ratios but I haven't had a chance to talk with doc about it yet.

One question for you and anyone growing HB is how do you explain the difference between organic super soil and high brix? I've read the explanations online but I'm still struggling to fully grasp the difference myself and when trying to explain it to others.

The supersoils rely totally on the soil to feed the plants, where HB still feeds the soil through foliars and drenches. Supersoils are layered and/or spiked to time nutrition to the plant's needs, where HB is uniform and the timing is done through foliars and drenches.

The main difference in HB is the method of actively feeding the biota externally. HB is the only method I've seen that works this way. Usually, we have a chemical nute schedule or a mix of organics and minerals to feed the plant. Instead, HB primarily feeds the biota, with the exception of the calcium nitrate product.

Hey bubs every time I order I get an extra roots and transplant. That will fix your problems for a few bucks. Now I'm ordering quarts of energy and transplant and pints of the rest as needed of course. Your plants are looking great. Hope you get to try some of he best herb around soon. Stay green I'll be lurking.

The supersoils rely totally on the soil to feed the plants, where HB still feeds the soil through foliars and drenches. Supersoils are layered and/or spiked to time nutrition to the plant's needs, where HB is uniform and the timing is done through foliars and drenches.

The main difference in HB is the method of actively feeding the biota externally. HB is the only method I've seen that works this way. Usually, we have a chemical nute schedule or a mix of organics and minerals to feed the plant. Instead, HB primarily feeds the biota, with the exception of the calcium nitrate product.

Can't you still feed the biota in Supersoils when you add compost tea or top dress? Isn't there foliar sprays that can be used in conjunction with supersoil to get the same affects? Are there pros/cons of super soil vs high brix?

I'm a huge believer in the kit but these are questions I get when I'm trying to explain this growing method to others. Also, I'm starting to see a lot of High Brix products in the marketplace. I'm trying to understand it as much as I can so when I try to explain why adding a high brix product into a non formulated soil won't produce the same results I'll actually know what I'm talking about lol.

Can't you still feed the biota in Supersoils when you add compost tea or top dress? Isn't there foliar sprays that can be used in conjunction with supersoil to get the same affects? Are there pros/cons of super soil vs high brix?

I'm a huge believer in the kit but these are questions I get when I'm trying to explain this growing method to others. Also, I'm starting to see a lot of High Brix products in the marketplace. I'm trying to understand it as much as I can so when I try to explain why adding a high brix product into a non formulated soil won't produce the same results I'll actually know what I'm talking about lol.

I don't know enough about organic gardening in general to have a good conversation with someone who does, so you have to take what I have to say with a grain of salt, but I'm pretty good at explaining things.

The foundation of the HB method, as we're using, it is in the precise mineral ratios. Typical organic mixes will have organic materials that contain the minerals, but we start with a neutral peat and add the minerals directly. Instead of bat guano and sea kelp, we have rock phosphate and carbonized gypsum, etc. Both soils try to end up at the same place, but the HB method relies on testing and science. If there are organic growers who test their soil and then precisely mix ingredients to reach the proper mineral ratios, then they're accomplishing the same thing we are. Almost none do. Our soil starts out "ideal".

And since it's scientifically ideal, we can custom design foliars and drenches and know exactly what effect they'll have on the soil. De-stress is formulated specifically to work together with Roots - they're two parts of the same nute. All the nutrients are specifically designed for the properly amended soil. It really isn't different - it's just "scientific". We even have a measurement standard in the brix reading itself. We can tell when things are going well and when they aren't, even if the plant doesn't show it.

And the proof is in the testimonials from seasoned smokers. Higher brix weed is better weed. Period. So, think of HB as a high tech sort of method, relying on measurement and known science.

Update Day 70 (FLower Day 43):

Sorry for the delay in updates. Things have been going great. I have so many high brix plants running now I'll have to focus on my first 2 which correspond with the days of this journal.

I've really been working on dialing in the measurements for drenches. Graytail has been a great help! I was stumped on how to apply the cat drench. I wasn't sure when to apply it and how much. I ended up giving each plant 1/2oz of cat drench plus .5 ml of tea. All I did was add 1oz of cat drench and 1ml of tea to 1gal of water. I gave each plant a half a gal of pre water and then a half gal of feed water. I'll do this again for their next watering too but at a lower concentration which I'll explain.

As you guys know I'm running Northern Light x Skunk#1 and Kerala x Skunk #1 for my first two hb plants. I've only grown 1 plant of each of these strains so far. My first NL turned out amazing. Smelled and tasted just like fruity pebbles. It was a super easy and fast strain to grow.
The kerala on the otherhand was the polar opposite. At first I was really excited about this one. It grew huge.Smelled pretty good too. Almost a fruity coconut smell. It was a PITA to grow though. Probably about the 4th week of flower the top leaves start curling up like heat burn, the leaves began yellowing, and getting brown spots. I kept her alive till she finished but she looked pretty ugly by time she was done. Needless to say the resulting buds were the worst I've grown to date. Even worse than my hermie autos! lol Not quite sure what went wrong. Even with how bad the plant looked the buds seem like they should be so much better. Instead they taste horrible. ALmost resiny. They don't burn clean or smoothe even though it was dried properly. Doesn't even seem to get you high. Obviously I'll be getting this strain out of my rotation but in the meantime I'm stuck with two of these in my high brix soil.

That brings us back to the lower concentration for the second cat drench. The kerala krush in high brix thats 4 weeks into flower has started to have the same leaf problem. I'm not sure if I burned her or if theres something else wrong but now I'm hesistant to add a second cat drench.

Going forward I've worked out a new feeding program with docs kit that will be based per plant. I'll be giving each plant 2.5ml of drench (energy or cat) and .3ml of tea per feeding. I'll just mix this into 1 gal of water for each plant.

In the meantime I've got to try and figure out whats wrong with this girl. Any of you guys running docs kit experienced this or know what might be happening?

Here's some pics of all my high brix plants and some closeups of the older and younger Kerala's having this problem. Most of these pics are several days old. I'll try to post a recent pic by tomorrow night.

Group photo. You'll notice the wild thai on the front left is WAY to tall and experiencing a bit of leaf curling on top.

20140703_012243.jpg

Here's a closeup of the Northern Light.
20140703_012259.jpg

A closeup of the leaf curling on the Kerala.
20140703_012310.jpg

More of the kerala. It starts on top and works its way down. Temps have not topped 80 and lights are well over 1 ft away.
20140703_012320.jpg

Curling leaves on the giant Wild Thai. Definitely different than the Kerala. Maybe overwatering? Or the pot is too small?
20140703_012336.jpg

Mid level leaves spotting/yellowing on an early flower Kerala.
20140703_013800.jpg

Group Photo
20140703_013817.jpg
20140706_220635.jpg

To end on a good note the Northern Light is by far the best smelling plant I have ever smelled. It smells completely different compared to its organic soil counter part. All the fan leaves are covered in resin and dark green. This stuff is definitely legit. Best deal I've found on the market by far. I'll be placing a very large order from Doc next time :D

Got a chance to take a few pics tonight.

Here' the Kerala...
20140708_032525.jpg

The Northern Light

20140708_032543.jpg

A Critical Mass
20140708_032602.jpg

And a Blue Blood

20140708_032624.jpg

Crap! I'm not much of a diagnoser so I hung back to see what others had to say, and I totally missed the 1/2 of Drench. MrBubbles and I even PMed about it last week.

The dried dead-tipped leaves remind me of the KeralaxSk1 I grew in mineralized soil after I gave it Drench - couldn't handle it in that soil. I think Tavo nailed it - Drench OD. That was about 4 times the right dose. I imagine a thorough flush wouldn't hurt ...

All I know bro is that 1/2 oz cat drench per plant was WAY to much

Crap! I'm not much of a diagnoser so I hung back to see what others had to say, and I totally missed the 1/2 of Drench. MrBubbles and I even PMed about it last week.

The dried dead-tipped leaves remind me of the KeralaxSk1 I grew in mineralized soil after I gave it Drench - couldn't handle it in that soil. I think Tavo nailed it - Drench OD. That was about 4 times the right dose. I imagine a thorough flush wouldn't hurt ...

And so the measuring confusion continues. This kit is amazing but honestly the instructions suck. I've never been so confused by such a simple process in my life. I feel like I got a box full of bottles with a vague idea of how to use them. I'm really not this stupid guys lol.

I have read every set of instructions doc has posted since the inception of the kit. I've tried following kit journals and even pm'ng fellow kit users. I just need to know what to feed, when to feed, and how much to feed per plant.

Going forward based on my messages with Graytail I'm planning on using 2.5ml of drench and .3ml of tea per plant per feeding. Usually this will be mixed at 1 gal of water per plant. If this seems wrong please tell me now.

I will flush the Kerala and Northern. Then I'll go back to energy the next watering.

Feeling a little frustrated. On a positive note the northern light loved the same amount of drench. No burns on her thank god.

Seriously thanks for trying to help guys!

My Kerala was pretty heavily sativa, so it might be a lot more nute sensitive than the indica-based NL.

Back
Top Bottom