Mr.GreenGenes First Grow - Atomic Jam

mrgreengenes

Hi everybody! Well this grow journal has been long overdue but is right on time now that I've got a few little seedlings a few days old. I have been a lurker here in the forums for quite a long time - researching the best set-up for a medical grow that is striving to be relatively stealth. I have read a number of completed journals and bought about everything I thought I might need but after 6 months of planning it was time to "sh*t or get off the pot".

Here's a few details:
Strain: Atomic Jam from the Vancouver Seed Bank and some bag seeds (100% Greminated)
Indoors: Secret Jardin DarkRoom dr150w
Lighting: 1 400w Hortilux HPS, 2' T-5 Fluorescent, CF's
Intake: 6" + fans
Exhaust: 6" Active Air Inline
Cycle Veg: 20/4
Soil: FoxFarms Ocean Forest
Fertilzers: FF Big Bud, FF Tiger Bloom, FF Grow Big, FF ChaChing
Containers: 1 gal - 3 gal
Seed / Veg Room: 48:L x 23"W Mylar lower chamber
Tent size: 4'11"'L x 2'8''W x 6'7"'H
Watering: Tap Water
Indoor Temp: 85 High 60 Low; Humidity controled naturally at 50-60%

Atomic Jam:
Blueberry x Atomic NL

Mostly Indica. DJ Short's Blueberry and the Doc's NL. A compact vigorous strain. Strong, fruity and floral buds.

At 3.5 feet expect up to 100 gr.
Cuttings flowered at 12-15" will finish at 30-40".
Flowering time 50-65 days

I germinated 7 of the 13 Atomic Jam seeds and 9 bag seeds. I am hoping for as many ladies as possible obviously but hope the majority are the Atomic. I currently have a potted outdoor plant in the tent - brought in just least week after I burned her with nutes - too much ChaChing I think. So after a flush she has a new environment for the last few weeks of budding. Once the seedlings are big enough they'll go in gal bags and eventually into 3 gal. pots - and take up residence in the tent. I have a little veg space in a closet that'll be a transition space or eventually house a mother plant.

Hopefully some of you will stop by and say hi from time to time. Being that this is my first grow I hope to quiz you from time to time - lord knows I'll need your advice. Looking forward to Christmas already. :peace:

Here's some pics:

Mrgreengenes2.jpg

Closet space for seedlings, veg space and mother plant(s) eventually.

Mrgreengenes3.jpg

Seedlings under T-5's.

Mrgreengenes4.jpg

Happy Seedling.

Mrgreengenes5.jpg

Secret Jardin DarkRoom and insulated panels.

Mrgreengenes6.jpg

Mrgreengenes7.jpg

Happy Plant - except for the nute burn. Recovering.

Mrgreengenes8.jpg

Air cooled hood, active air fan and charcoal filter. I need to build a box for the fan to quiet down the noise.

Mrgreengenes9.jpg

Mrgreengenes14.jpg

Venting to the attic.

Mrgreengenes12.jpg

Mmmmm, suga...

Mrgreengenes13.jpg

Waiting for the trichs...

Thanks for stopping by - I'll keep this journal updated with fresh pics from time to time.

mr.greengenes

How close to the top of my seedlings should my fluorescent light be? I want to keep them from stretching too much. Currently it sits about 14" from the tops - can i drop that light down to 6"?

Moved my T-5 panel down to within 7-8 inches of the top of my seedlings. They seem to have slowed their stretching and are happy little plants. Like a overbearing parent I've wanted to water them but have only misted them a few times and given the soil just a taste of water. Seems like a common mistake to overwater new seedlings but I'd hate to underwater as well.

seedlings23.JPG

seedlings13.JPG

Nice set up great looking plants ...glad to see you lowered light seeds are streaching...not sure how hot your light is but i think you could be within 3-6 inches safley and avoid most of streach.....then bury seed up to bottom of sucker leaves and :surf:.... looks like you are going to have a very nice first harvest +reps

Nice set up great looking plants ...glad to see you lowered light seeds are streaching...not sure how hot your light is but i think you could be within 3-6 inches safley and avoid most of streach.....then bury seed up to bottom of sucker leaves and :surf:.... looks like you are going to have a very nice first harvest +reps

Light is relatively cool. I have held my hand at the tiny canopy for a few minutes and there is little to no heat. Plus I have a fan in the room to stir things up a bit. So maybe I'll drop it a smidgen lower. Thanks Tunes - I appreciate the reps! ;)

It's a little odd to be on both ends of a first grow - waiting to harvest my outside / inside plant and watching my seedlings progress. I know I am waiting for my trichromes to amber but I'm not sure why. I think I read last night that some folks will harvest when their trichromes are still cloudy / milky for more of an "up" high or cerebral high or some wait until they are amber for the couch-lock effect. Is this correct. In not knowing which week I'm on - especially with a plant that lived most of it's life outside - should I simply be watching the trichromes? I fed her with nutrients yesterday - 1/2 strength since I nute burned her a few weeks ago - but know I'll probably flush from here on out i think.

precious_trichs10.JPG

Main cola and a little nute burn.

precious_trichs6.JPG

precious_trichs8.JPG

Showing some red hairs.

precious_trichs7.JPG

precious_trichs9.JPG

Can't wait to give these globules a little taste. :peace:

Good evening 420er's - hope your garden's green. Quick update on the state of my grow. Nothing terribly exciting happening except seedling growth. When I first decided to sprout a few seeds I thought I'd experiment and plant half of my seeds in Fox Farm Seed Start Mix and half in FF Ocean Forest soil. After a week or so it is obvious the seedlings are thriving in the ocean forest and hurting in the seed start mix. I think I knew that would happen but it's an amazing difference.

I have been feeding them straight tap water (left out to sit 24hr min) but added a drop of superthrive to the h2o a few days ago. I noticed the Atomic Jam seeds are producing curly leaves - the true primary leaves at least. The bagseed's leaves are straight as an arrow so I assume it's a genetic difference. Only being Day 10 I suppose it's too early to worry about such things.

Although I had read great things about root riot cubes and I had Jiffy pellets ready to go - I planted my seeds in a seed tray which means I now have to transplant a couple times. I bought some Humboldt Nut. Myco Madness to transplant with but kick myself for not using Root Riot cubes. So I am going to transplant them in the next few days to FF OF. I may mix in Perlite but will keep it simple for this first grow. My local hydro store is tapping me dry.

Seedlings1_2.JPG

Seed Start on left - Ocean Forest on right. The seedlings on the left were the first to emerge and the seedlings on the right were the last to emerge.

Seedlings2_1.JPG

Best looking bagseed seedling in FF OF.

Seedlings31.JPG

Atomic Jam seedling sporting curly leaves.

Seedlings42.JPG

Seed start mix makes this seedling unhappy - well maybe just slow.

Forgot to mention I bought a PH Pen tester. After calibrating I measured my tap H2o and it read 8.1 which I realize is pretty high. I had thought of going the distilled water route. I bought some PH up & PH down today and hope to dial my water in before any more feedings.

Very nice start mrgreengenes, Nice and clean grow area and some healthy looking starts.. good luck Good start on journal too..

:nicethread::welcome:

Tight little setup ya got going dude. Myself I always wait till I get a mix of amber in mine. They say it's the peak of potencey. It is a good rule of thumb for sure if you want SOS 'stuck on stupid' dope. Works for me. But you sure have a sweet little setup going. Dont rush to harvest tho. They look cloudy from the pic's. Myself I'd wait for a 50/50 mix to pull, which maybe a week? Two max. +

Tight little setup ya got going dude. Myself I always wait till I get a mix of amber in mine. They say it's the peak of potencey. It is a good rule of thumb for sure if you want SOS 'stuck on stupid' dope. Works for me. But you sure have a sweet little setup going. Dont rush to harvest tho. They look cloudy from the pic's. Myself I'd wait for a 50/50 mix to pull, which maybe a week? Two max. +

I did a no nute feeding today thinking I may have a week or two left. I'm definitely in no rush to chop her down - I haven't seen any amber trichs yet. 50/50 mix makes sense but I need to stay motivated and SOS keeps me glued down sometimes. So maybe 60/40!:smokin:

I appreciate the kudos and advice -Cheers!

Nice buds bro... Nice set up too one day I'll break down and buy a setup like that... Goodluck with these next round of plants I'll be checkin in here and again

Nice buds bro... Nice set up too one day I'll break down and buy a setup like that... Goodluck with these next round of plants I'll be checkin in here and again

Thanks man - kinda weird to start my "first" grow on the cusp of a harvest. Learning about trichs and seedlings all at the same time. My official "first" grow was 15 years ago using a refrigerator box, aluminum foil and a "grow light" from the hardware store. Now that I have 420 as a resource - I decided to do it right. Or at least try. Couldn't afford a new refrigerator - for the box - so I bought a tent instead.

Woohoo - thanks AmGrowR. Gotta give Zappa credit for the Mr Green Genes handle. Seems to fit nicely though - glad you like it! For the hell of it - here's the lyrics to Mr. Green Genes. Cheap entertainment to flavor this journal:

Eat your greens
Don't forget your beans & celery
Don't forget to bring
Your fake I.D.
Eat a bunch of these
MAGNIFICIENT
With sauerkraut
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Sauerkraut!
Eat a grape, a fig
A crumpete too ...
You'll pump 'em right through
Doo-wee-ooo

Eat your shoes
Don't forget the strings
And sox
Even eat the box
Your bought 'em in
You can eat the truck
That brought 'em in
Garbage truck
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMouldy
Garbage truck
Eat the truck & driver
And his gloves
NUTRITIOUSNESS
DELICIOUSNESS
WORTHLESSNESS

...now don't that make perfect sense? ;)

Back
Top Bottom