MrCanada’s Organic NY Diesel CBD 2022

MrCanada

Hey everyone, I’m MrCanada - I just did an introduce yourself post here: Introduction Post

I’m back to growing; and back to this wonderful forum.

For this grow I am going to be growing 2 NY Diesel CBD photo plants from seed (CBD Botanics).

The grow will take place in my underground 24x24 suspended slab shop in a 4x8 grow tent.

For lights I will be running two HLG 100W Quantum boards. The tent will be exhausted with a 4 inch fan, charcoal filter, with multiple fans keeping steady airflow throughout the tent. I will also use a heater to keep the tent around 22 degrees Celsius as the shop is sitting around 16.

The medium will be organic pre-cooked super soil from BlueSky Organics: SUPER SOIL (U.S.)

I will feed the soil top dressed organic fertilizers (kelp meal, worm castings, etc) and minerals such as silicon. I will also feed the soil weekly with compost tea I will be making in 5 gallon buckets (air pump, bubbler, tea bag etc).

The germinated seeds will be started in 1 gallon air pots, and then transferred to 5 gallon air pots when the root system is outgrowing the 1 gallon pots.

As far as the grow method goes I am going to keep things pretty simple. I will top the plants likely after the 5th node and do some really mild LST to shape the plants a little bit. I will grow under 16/8 for likely 4 weeks of veg and then flip to 12/12 for the flower cycle. I will not be flushing these plants at the end of the grow.

Anyhow here’s some pictures of the tent. We’re disinfected with all clean and disinfected tools, tent, pots etc. Seeds have been in water for 24 hours and should pop here in the next 24 hours.

Welcome to the journal and thanks for following along! If I missed any details feel free to ask!

D8491516-B477-4C41-B1A0-4C8B4E9790F7.jpeg

13D94B33-D98A-418B-A42A-60DAEACEA1F3.jpeg

F7FE2B45-49D3-4124-A0DC-77D8FB86A7BC.jpeg

FE68FA3F-0CE9-4CF2-9625-68FD52F72577.jpeg

a quick tip canuck,, them seeds,, floating on top of the water there,, if that is what they are doing,, floating,,

don't sink them,, let them sit on top of the water,, let them crack there and leave them,, they will sprout perfectly 'on top of' the water

and they will not drown on top,,

and when the root is a quarter inch or so,, plant em,,

oh,, yes,, quite the dungeon look goin on there,, a tonno concrete,, and it was mentioned before,, perhaps something under the tent to help keep the cold out?

karma sent friend

Thanks for the tip! I did push them down unfortunately but this is good to know for next time. What’s the benefit of letting them float? Easier to transplant?

Yes I am actively working on getting some product to lift these tents off the concrete! Has never been an issue in the past but would certainly help control heat in the tent!

a quick tip canuck,, them seeds,, floating on top of the water there,, if that is what they are doing,, floating,,

don't sink them,, let them sit on top of the water,, let them crack there and leave them,, they will sprout perfectly 'on top of' the water

and they will not drown on top,,

and when the root is a quarter inch or so,, plant em,,

oh,, yes,, quite the dungeon look goin on there,, a tonno concrete,, and it was mentioned before,, perhaps something under the tent to help keep the cold out?

karma sent friend
Forgot to quote you in the reply so I’ll quote you for my next post.

SuperSoil has arrived, will be getting the pots ready tonight, taproot is just starting to crack the seeds this morning.

6C662A4D-DF21-4C32-B60E-F3291F812354.jpeg

8683BFDA-9FAF-4523-91D1-820D137075C6.jpeg

Thanks for the tip! I did push them down unfortunately but this is good to know for next time. What’s the benefit of letting them float? Easier to transplant?

Yes I am actively working on getting some product to lift these tents off the concrete! Has never been an issue in the past but would certainly help control heat in the tent!

ok, cool,, tho they could still be floated,,

but do what you are doing,,

thing is,, folks go from the water glass to paper towels etc ,, all kinds of trouching

leave it on the top of the water,, no touching again till it gets planted.

and if it sinks and one leaves it there, it will drown,, floating on top,, it will not drown

and that soil,,? is there nutes in there? i read that i think,,, sprouts dont like nutes for a week or so,, plain soil first

to get into even more finer detail,, i actually scarify,, sandpaper, the pointy end of every seed i germinate,, the spine too,, matchbook type sandpaper,, and strong glasses, BEFORE i put it in water

never lose a seed again,, near guaranteed

I love these tips. I go from water to soil. I have found going into the paper towel just adds an extra unnecessary step and room for error.

I will be putting the seeds into jiffy plugs to root out before putting into the supersoil.

I will also bring the seeds back to a float when I get home this evening

Tap roots were about 1/8th inch out of the seeds so they went into some coco jiffy pucks. The plan was to only grow two but the third seed had a crack in it so I threw it in water assuming it wouldn’t germinate however it seems to be growing.

So this might turn into a three plant grow, which is fine I have plenty of room!

D900DE73-8286-40FE-BD30-1ADA389422CA.jpeg

We’ve got our first seedling making an appearance to the party!

Hoping by the time I am home tonight the other two make an appearance as well!

Update on the light situation - I dropped and broke one of the connectors on my 100w HLG board so it’s out of commish. I do have a big old blurple 300w Mars as backup however my remaining 100w HLG will do the trick for a bit.

I ordered a 135w HLG V2. Figured what better excuse to upgrade. I am going to see if I can get an electronics repair shop to fix the 100w next week.

52456997-1505-4F26-9C11-4B0D345F0AEB.jpeg

A fellow Canadian grower with a cannabis bunker!.... lol... I love it.. Nice gear your running and setup gonna be fun to watch your journal ... Best of luck on your grow! :)

A fellow Canadian grower with a cannabis bunker!.... lol... I love it.. Nice gear your running and setup gonna be fun to watch your journal ... Best of luck on your grow! :)
Ehhhhh

Welcome aboard Herby! It’s a pleasure to have you in here. Glad I’m not the only one around here with a bomb shelter/grow shack haha

Ehhhhh

Welcome aboard Herby! It’s a pleasure to have you in here. Glad I’m not the only one around here with a bomb shelter/grow shack haha
I had one with my friend that grew, Now I just have a insulated shed and a basement. lol

Hey Canuk - looks like a good start!! I'm only an outdoor grower but I want to see how you do with soil and the Nutes you are using - That's what I'm planning this year. Gidder gowin'!!!
Thanks for checking out the journal!

I do the same thing outdoors so I am hoping for the same result. I like to keep things super simple. I’ve never liked the results of chemical fertilizers.

Use a nice nutrient dense organic soil, keep it fed, and the plant hydrated and In my experience it’s been very successful.

Well, last year was an eye opener (all tho I'm still not sure what I'm lookin' at) - At first it looked like I was going to have a bumper crop but in the end bud rot, bugs and simply fluffy buds kinda left it being sort of "Mehee" - so I want to do much better this year.
What did your grow look like? What size pots, type of soil, plant location? What month did you start etc?

I won't bore you with the details - most seeds started early to mid May. The auto did OK and the only other seed from known origin was looking good in a laundry tub, suddenly started to lose all the fans and I'm thinking it became over run by mites. The large plants in the back, in the ground looked great but I harvested a bit early because of bud rot and grandchildren coming for Thanksgiving!!! The rest I kept in the greenhouse but bud rot and gawd knows what seem to take all the life out of them so I harvested earlier than I wanted just to be done with it.
the gals.jpg

I won't bore you with the details - most seeds started early to mid May. The auto did OK and the only other seed from known origin was looking good in a laundry tub, suddenly started to lose all the fans and I'm thinking it became over run by mites. The large plants in the back, in the ground looked great but I harvested a bit early because of bud rot and grandchildren coming for Thanksgiving!!! The rest I kept in the greenhouse but bud rot and gawd knows what seem to take all the life out of them so I harvested earlier than I wanted just to be done with it.
the gals.jpg
The bud rot is tough, I have experienced this outdoors too. I wish I had some advise others than harvesting before it happens but I don’t. I am curious if the reason the plants in the ground did better is due to the root zone. Those front plants aren’t in huge pots and I wonder if they became root bound? I have found in my experience pests don’t typically gain steam unless the plants stressed. Most issues I have run into have been root related.

Back
Top Bottom